PDA

View Full Version : claims and how they affect me.

Asa-James
31-12-08, 04:47 PM
lets say, for the point of arguament, i was involved in an accident a while back where someone ran into the back of the car. lets say there was minimal damage, more to the oher car and pretty much non on mine. lets say i was to claim against him for whiplash, i would then have to tell my insurance that i was "involved in an accident in the last 5 years regardless of blame". how would that affect my insurance premium?

and the said incident never happened:roll:, and even if it did, no claim was put in and never will.

Mattman
31-12-08, 04:50 PM
Depends if you were found to be at fault for said accident.

non-fault claims don't affect your insurance

brainsnova
31-12-08, 04:53 PM
if someone crashes into the back of you its there fault technically as they should of been looking where they were going.

Mike
31-12-08, 04:57 PM
non-fault claims don't affect your insurance

Not intirely true. Theft of vehicle, break in or attempted break & RTA with a non insured party ALL count against you.

Mike
31-12-08, 04:58 PM
if someone crashes into the back of you its there fault technically as they should of been looking where they were going.

Providing your vehicle was emmiting suitable rear lighting. IE, You were driving at night with no lights on or both brake lights were faulty etc.

Mattman
31-12-08, 04:59 PM
Not intirely true. Theft of vehicle, break in or attempted break & RTA with a non insured party ALL count against you.

fair enough, I should have been more precise

Mike
31-12-08, 05:01 PM
lol dont worry about it bud.

On another note, if you have a NON 3rd party accident (roll your car whilst Eddie Irvining it down some lanes) the local council and/or land owners are well within there right to claim against you for something called "destruction of property". Had this happen to me lol

Asa-James
31-12-08, 05:35 PM
so if i had claimed against him (@if it HAD happened) as he was insured, i wouldnt have affected my insurance at all? even though i'd technically been in an "accident"

Mike
31-12-08, 05:39 PM
Correct, your claiming against him, so the claim is "against him" not you. His premium will go, your "should" not.

marc novataken
31-12-08, 05:48 PM
shouldnt go up, but in my experience on online quotes i get 1 quote, then amend it to say i had 1 accident (not my fault) and quotes are £200-£500 more expensive

Jack
31-12-08, 05:49 PM
Whiplash = personal injury claim, keyword there lol. Effectively, HE will be claiming on HIS insurance to cover your damages/costs, hence you have not claimed HOWEVER you have been involved in an accident. You'll note a lot of companies ask if you have been "involved" in an accident rather than "claimed", in this situation you haven't claimed but you have been involved.

Some insurance companies do load a policy for those who have been "involved" in an accident. Statistically, if you've had one knock, you're more likely to have another - you might just be unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time on more than one occasion.

Asa-James
31-12-08, 07:21 PM
cheers for the info, just incase, ya know...