PDA

View Full Version : Track day shell welding

garethcolley
31-12-08, 02:28 PM
Is a sitch welded engine bay and chassis strengthening kit adequate for a LET nova tracked often? Im putting a cage in it and rebuilding it ready for alot of track action next year so if more welding is required it would be ideal to do it now. Cheers

mowgli
31-12-08, 02:34 PM
a trackday car on road tyres gets no more stress than a car used quickly on roads... the main thing is the lack of points for going fast. it should be fine

garethcolley
31-12-08, 02:39 PM
Im not going to be using road tyres, semi slicks or something. Point taken however i am planning on abusing it. The shell is getting chemically stripped so if im going to do it then i should do it now rather than find out i should of strengthened later. Whats this about cracking by the seat rails due to flex?

Jack
31-12-08, 02:41 PM
Possibly less so as tracks don't (or shouldn't) have pot holes lol

Good stitch welding should suffice, tbh the strengthening kit may not really be needed but I'd err on the safe side and fit it. That should be fine and dandy for track use.

garethcolley
31-12-08, 02:47 PM
Well i should be fine then, just thought id check as i would be well annoyed if i had to change it after putting it back together.

AlexW
31-12-08, 03:08 PM
a lot of people will say fit and then some will say dont. Its personal prefrance.

IMO id fit it simply because its a let and being tracked, might cost you a bit more but adds to some of the strengh

R1CH
31-12-08, 03:27 PM
If your gonna be stitch welding the front end, fitting a plate kit and a cage then you may as well stitch weld the rest of the shell while your at it, not gonna cost you any more £££ just a bit more time.

garethcolley
31-12-08, 03:40 PM
Its already had a plating kit and stiched up at the front i was just wondering if a need additional strengthening.

R1CH
31-12-08, 04:06 PM
Not much more you can do with it then really, if the shells in good nic then it'll be fine with the plate kit and stitch welding.
What type of cage you fitting, weld in / bolt in ? you could tag the cage to the A / B pillars to stiffen it up a bit more.