PDA

View Full Version : Tools

ash anderson
29-12-08, 08:42 PM
Ive Decided to treat my self to a new ratchet set as im sick of useing old one's, not haveing the correct socket and no ratchet for the correct job ETC ETC,
I dont have a very good Ratchet set or i have ratchet sets-loads of sockets and no ratchets as ive usually sheared them ha,
so people what would you recomend i have say 50-100 quid to spend on a ratchet set-ive seen the draper vortex sets which look good and strong and will iliminate me shearing ratchets as the socket slots in the head of the ratchet.
http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/draper-sockets/draper-vortex-socket-sets/showitem-12635-40174.aspx
anybody any ideas? needs to be strong withstand heavy work i dont have the money for a snap on Mac set ETC as only have 100notes top
just a thread for people to recomend some good ratchet sets, experience. links etc
Thanks

Cle
29-12-08, 08:46 PM
Snap-on FTW

ash anderson
29-12-08, 08:47 PM
Snap-on FTW

:thumb: what im thinking but im Ratchet less also thrown my sockets out as there all poo-and have no cylinder head on my motor just need a decent ratchet set ha

Cle
29-12-08, 08:49 PM
:thumb: what im thinking but im Ratchet less also thrown my sockets out as there all poo-and have no cylinder head on my motor just need a decent ratchet set ha

My tool set's cheap kit out of halfords that get replaced every couple of months :( dont have money to get a full set of quality tools. My mates dad owns a garage and all there tools are snap-on and i've helped my mate on cars before and ive never had a snap-on tool break on me.

ash anderson
29-12-08, 08:52 PM
My tool set's cheap kit out of halfords that get replaced every couple of months :( dont have money to get a full set of quality tools. My mates dad owns a garage and all there tools are snap-on and i've helped my mate on cars before and ive never had a snap-on tool break on me.

ive used snap on mac ETC and they are by far the best but its money atm im on a tight budget got say 80-100qwid tops to get a ratchet set-christmas has rinsed me

Stuart
29-12-08, 08:59 PM
Halfords pro set... I've got various bits that are atleast 8-10 years old and havent failed at all. And boy have they not had an easy ride in that time.

Also highly recomended are Yamoto from Cromwell tools. a 1/2" set will be about £60 tops and last so so well (I mullered a set hard in Germany for the US Army, and they came back for more, while the other guys were breaking snap-on stuff. Still got that set and tis going stong)

nathan.
29-12-08, 09:02 PM
Yeah halfords are good.

What about blue-point? Snap on sell a blue point set for under £100.

white2lSR
29-12-08, 09:04 PM
At work most of my stuff is snap-on, blue point, britool or signet. I do also own a 1/2" and 3/8" Draper expert socket set that ive had for years. They sit in to bottom of my roll cab and come out when im working at the other end of the shop to my box. Never broken anything in the sets, very good quality and only paid about £70 for the two.

You cant beat halford sets for value for money though!

Stuart
29-12-08, 09:06 PM
oh jsut to say, DO NOT under any circumstances buy TENG.... they be utter dog dirt

Benn
29-12-08, 09:08 PM
Most of mine are halfords and i've been using them for 10yearsish.
Never broken a racket yet, but at my old work two of my bosses snap on rackets gave up with in a year.

novanova636
29-12-08, 09:09 PM
All my stuff is halfords. I use it on a regular and have only had one ratchet brake!

Dod
29-12-08, 09:11 PM
I've used Teng, Bacho, Halfords, Draper and CK. TBH the only ones that stood the abuse are Halfords. EVERYTHING ele failed in some way shape or form. I'm rough with my tools, dont really take too much care of them and all the above brands came with a replacement Gaurentee, which in fairness were honoured but the fact that they failed in the first place annoys me.

Stuart
29-12-08, 09:13 PM
I the fact that they failed in the first place annoys me.

agreed, I expect something with a lifetime/replacement guarantee to NOT need to make use of it

Cle
29-12-08, 09:14 PM
Must just be me then. Most of the tools i buy from Halfords i break. :(

novarally
29-12-08, 09:40 PM
Halfords Professional range, great value for money and a Lifetime Guarantee, I'd recommend them highly.

Spudly
29-12-08, 09:41 PM
Ive been using halfords professional stuff for quite a while and theyre spot on, take some right abuse and ive not broken anything yet lol

One of the bestest socket sets going, imo (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_17 7693_langId_-1_categoryId_165572)

Have a looksee at that^^^:thumb:

chris gsi
29-12-08, 09:43 PM
most of the tools i have at work are mac but i have started to use halfords pro as they have life time waranty and i have a traid card so nice and cheap i keep the 150 peace kit in my car and its only £100 at the min near me

Rexy
29-12-08, 09:48 PM
i've broken a good few Halfords Pro rachets, a breaker bar and some spanners in the past. They are pretty good quality tho, apart form the 3/8 rachets in my opinion as i have broke about 5 of them now over the last few years.

I just buy new ones tho as they are pretty cheap on trade :D

L14MNP
29-12-08, 09:52 PM
I just buy new ones tho as they are pretty cheap on trade :D
Or buy your tools on trade and have the broken ones replaced free either under guarantee or from a mate that works there lol

I have a lot of Halfords Pro stuff and find it hard to break, well worth the (little) money. Unless you use them every day they are more than up to the job. BTW the 150 piece ratchet set is now 130 quid :tard:

Blue Point FTW too, not a lot of people realise who/what they are. Makes for some cheap gear on occasion :)

MK999
29-12-08, 10:25 PM
The halfords professional (or now Halfords Advanced) socket set was going for 99.99 before christmas, 240pc or so, got that for christmas and it all feels really good quality, have used tools that mates have before and have to say that halfords professional probably feel the best of the lot.

Only thing i've ever seen break is the ratchet ring spanners, but they're so handy I wouldn't mind the effort of having to replace them if I ever do lol

L14MNP
29-12-08, 10:28 PM
Aye. I noticed it's now 'Advanced' lol. 150 piece dude. Imagine the size of the case if it was 240 lol

You will only break a ratchet spanner if you attempt to use it as a socket ratchet IMO!

Novasport
29-12-08, 10:29 PM
TBH I dont think you can go far wrong with Halfords Professional stuff for the price. I have mostly Halfors Pro stuff & can't fault it, I had a 3/8 allen bit break on me but that was because I used a breaker bar on it!!! Oh and the chrome started peeling on one of my spanners but took them both back and they changed them straight away no questions asked :D.
I have a few Snap-on bits like ratchets and useful stuff thats not available in Halfords but Snap-on is a real rip off!
If you are in the trade get a trade card from them which gives you a hefty discount on the tools, I borrow a card from one of the techs at work.

Before Xmas they were doing a deal on the Professional(Black) roll cab for £250 instead of £299 and they give you a Pro socket set, spanner set & screwdriver set for free! Pity I already have most of it or I would of had them.

John
29-12-08, 10:31 PM
halfords stuff is poor imo, mind you i haven't bought any for a while. Most of my stuff at work is snap-on, facom or britool, with bergen sockets. If anything snap-on breaks, it gets replaced by a man in a van who parks right outside my bay.
For good cheap tools i'd recommend bergen for sockets, and buy a decent snap-on ratchet.

Novasport
29-12-08, 10:42 PM
halfords stuff is poor imo, mind you i haven't bought any for a while. Most of my stuff at work is snap-on, facom or britool, with bergen sockets. If anything snap-on breaks, it gets replaced by a man in a van who parks right outside my bay.
For good cheap tools i'd recommend bergen for sockets, and buy a decent snap-on ratchet.

Problem is with Snap on stuff is it is sooo expensive so unless you are a tech there is not much point imo. The thing is Halfords stuff has a lifetime warranty so will immediately replace stuff where as the Snap On man will prob want to repair it. Most techs will have a spare of anything that is likely to break so that prob would not be an issue.
Most techs have to have finance from the Snap-on man because stuff is so pricey. The roll cabs look fantastic but some are like £3k!!! Its stupid.
They used to have offers every two weeks, now they have offers every week so I dont think they are doing as well as they used to.
Granted, I have Snap-On ratchets but for what I do I dont really need them but I got them cheap so was worth having.

MK999
29-12-08, 10:54 PM
Aye. I noticed it's now 'Advanced' lol. 150 piece dude. Imagine the size of the case if it was 240 lol

You will only break a ratchet spanner if you attempt to use it as a socket ratchet IMO!

I lost count and guessed :( lol I use ratchet spanners when i can't get at the bastid nut with a normal socket lol

Riggy
29-12-08, 11:32 PM
another halfords pro from me , got alot of it now ,

had a few snap on rachets but ive just broke my last one , but they are over 10 years old , never managed to brake a halfords pro bit yet and i have tried you can trust that lol

ash anderson
29-12-08, 11:34 PM
thanks for the replys, some things i do give abuse, i shall take evryones opinions on board and get to halfrauds for a look :thumb:
ive had many of 20pound ratchet sets that you get from the motor factors snap or break on me but i usually if cannt get anut undone get a rubber mallet to the ratchet well then obvcourse gives way ha

Jack
29-12-08, 11:58 PM
Sealey ftw. Had mine for a couple years and bashed the Novargh a few times with them and not managed to break anything yet aside from a cheapy chrome vanadium socket (which wasn't a Sealey item!)

Also have a lifetime guarantee.

Plug
29-12-08, 11:59 PM
Ive been using halfords professional stuff for quite a while and theyre spot on, take some right abuse and ive not broken anything yet lol

One of the bestest socket sets going, imo (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_17 7693_langId_-1_categoryId_165572)

Have a looksee at that^^^:thumb:

thats what i use never had a breakage either :thumb:

MK999
30-12-08, 12:41 AM
Same price more bits (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_17 3083_langId_-1_categoryId_165572) Took me ages to find that too, feckers on page 9 lol

R1CH
30-12-08, 01:28 AM
Same price more bits (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_17 3083_langId_-1_categoryId_165572) Took me ages to find that too, feckers on page 9 lol

Two lads at work both have these, i've also had a fair bit of Halfords Professional stuff, can't knock them at all really.
For £100 that 150 piece will be spot on, will have pretty much everything in it for the majority of jobs on a Nova ... will be even cheaper if you have a Trade Card as well.

mowgli
30-12-08, 09:27 AM
the rule that I have always used is this: buy a reasonable set (ie. halfords, draper etc) then if you break a spanner or socket, then replace it with a good brand (strap on, britool etc) because I can guarantee you that the 9, 12,14, 16, 18mm etc will rarely get used so why should you buy expensive ones????

ps. I have a 2ft strap-on breaker bar & halfords pro sockets & I have put scaffold tube on it to remove wheel bolts, with around 600lbft of force & not even chipped the chrome, I have on occasion used them in a 1/2" windy gun. so god knows how smeone can break them........

Welsh Dan
30-12-08, 09:54 AM
Another vote for the Halfords pro stuff here. The only issue I've had is that the pin on my breaker bar started to wind itself out but that was easily rectified, other than that they stand up to a lot of abuse and are nice to use. The extra teeth on my halfords pro ratchet really help in tight spaces compared to some of my dads ones that I used to borrow.

Pistol Pete
30-12-08, 10:24 AM
I have a mix of Britool, Snap-On and Halfords. Also got a few bits from Teng after my motocross sponsorship days. All contained in a Snap-On roll cab and chest!!

matthew172
30-12-08, 12:06 PM
britool ftw

ash anderson
30-12-08, 06:06 PM
im undecided on what tool-ratchet set to buy:wtf: i shall do some more research in to them, seen the ratchet sets in halfrauds baught too half inch set and manage to get them to throw a screwdriver set it, but really want some more tbh

L14MNP
30-12-08, 09:29 PM
The only Halfrauds Pro bits I have broken are a couple of 3/8" screwdriver bits, couple of ratchets (scaffy bar overload) and the pin has fallen out of the 1/4" UJ. As said though, all get replaced no sweat. Even though I'm sure that any moving part tool is only guaranteed for 12 months not for life...

bmw156
30-12-08, 09:40 PM
i say go for halfords professional hardned (black) sockets they are siz sided and are a million times better, the multi sided bits just start to round of any tight bolts, 6 sided get it straight of. the 6 sided have doine me well many a times. and also people talk about braking tools. fair enough if they are crap tools, but if they are using a 3/8 set on a massive bolt then im sure its going to brake.

and also im a big beliver in you buy what you get for so maybe pay a bit more now and get a very good set and this should last you a life time.

my 2 pence worth lol

Fridge
31-12-08, 01:31 AM
I brought the halfords advanced 150 piece one just before christmas. It was reduced fro £199 to £99 with a further 10% discount if you ordered online and then picked it up from the store. It's an awsome piece of kit, 3 different sized ratchets, millions of sockets including some impact ones, ring spanners, ratchet ring spanners, torx heads, etc...
Got some clever little touches as well like being able to lock sockets onto extentions so you don't pull your extension out of a hole and find you socket is still down there, stuck on a nut.
Also found out yesterday that the 1/4 inch drive clicks into the end of the screwdriver handle for leverage. Well i thought it was clever anyways.....

JonL
31-12-08, 09:56 AM
Definately Halfords pro/advanced, not had any break on me yet!

Just bought this, had £50 off in store and came with £175 worth of free pro/advanced range tools! Awesome!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 2340_langId_-1_categoryId_165667

L14MNP
31-12-08, 10:31 AM
I brought the halfords advanced 150 piece one just before christmas. It was reduced fro £199 to £99

It's never been 199 quid as long as I have known lol They claim that though! Good purchase anyway mate, it's 130 now :roll:

MC
31-12-08, 02:15 PM
I must admit the Halfords stuff is good. I've had my set for about 10-12 years, with only one breakage through missuse. I like it enough to have stuck with the brand and have bought lots of different bits. It is also the only complete and tidy tool box we have at the farm.

Sturge
31-12-08, 02:29 PM
britool ftw

NOOOOOOOOOOOO current Britool stuff is utter gash! Had 2 socket sets and sent them both back they were so bad. Kept the screwdrivers but wish I hadn't, soft as poo

I mostly buy Snap-On as it is far superior to anything else out there (apart from maybe Mac) but my back up stuff and older stuff is all Halfords Pro/Advanced and it's the only other kit I'd trust

Rich
31-12-08, 04:59 PM

For the money i wouldnt think you'll find anything better than this set. Im a tech at vauxhall and my 3/8 ratchet is still going strong, anything ive broken (only a few torx bits because they are crap) i replaced with snap-on.

Anyone saying halfords stuff breaks is abviously hanging off the ratchets with scaffold poles lol Go buy a breaker bar they are only £20 in halfords!

stevie-p
31-12-08, 05:17 PM
i got a snap on set ratchet sockets sprk plug sockets and extension bars for 115