PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

Nova_Sean
29-12-08, 08:07 PM
Hi all.

This is my first post after i got my first car brought for me for christmas! I have got a Nova Merit 1.2 in White.

I would like some info on Power steering, how much it will cost, where i can get the parts from and any other information i may need.

Thanks Alot!

Dod
29-12-08, 09:17 PM
Novas never came with Power steering fitted as standard, but it can be done. The favoured route thats stuck in my mind is to modify a Corsa Power Steering Rack by shortening the arms, moddinf the hole that the steering coupling enters (enlargening) and using a Saxo or 106 Electric Power steering rack mounted inside the car. You'll still need custom piping etc but it can be done.

Although, does a Nova really need Power steering? Even with huge wheels the cars pretty light and not to difficult to park.

let_nova
29-12-08, 09:23 PM
weight lifting costs less. build thos muscles up!!

Stuart
29-12-08, 09:26 PM
Novas never came with Power steering fitted as standard, but it can be done. The favoured route thats stuck in my mind is to modify a Corsa Power Steering Rack by shortening the arms, moddinf the hole that the steering coupling enters (enlargening) and using a Saxo or 106 Electric Power steering rack mounted inside the car. You'll still need custom piping etc but it can be done.

Although, does a Nova really need Power steering? Even with huge wheels the cars pretty light and not to difficult to park.

saxo/106 electric power steering pump ;) :thumb:

I've not driven a nova that "needs" P/S yet... and that includes a few lairy tyred and tightly diffed mofos

BIGS
29-12-08, 09:30 PM
weight lifting costs less. build thos muscles up!!

My 11 year old sister can steer my car into the garage, so i dont think a lad needs to build up muscles to turn the steering wheel lol

John
29-12-08, 10:26 PM
Heavy steeing on a nova usually indicates some sort of other fault, ie, incorrectly inflated tyres, worn suspension components, camber/toe out of allignment, seized top mounts etc etc. Check all these are ok first, before delving down the pas route.

Novasport
29-12-08, 10:54 PM
Prob is most youngsters will take lessons/pass their test in a nice new or nearly new car with PAS(Steering on the spot) so dont really know how to drive a real car with no assistance. No offence, sorry!
Once you get used to it you will be fine, if not the best route imo is a Corsa B EPAS(Electric power steering colum) with a speed sensor or speed controller but might be easier just to buy a newer car with PAS lol

Nova_Sean
29-12-08, 11:00 PM
Prob is most youngsters will take lessons/pass their test in a nice new or nearly new car with PAS(Steering on the spot) so dont really know how to drive a real car with no assistance. No offence, sorry!

None taken, and i think you hit the hammer on the head their mate.

Thanks for everyones input, will deffiantly be sticking around here:thumb:

Many happy nova miles to come hopefully!

Dod
29-12-08, 11:09 PM
saxo/106 electric power steering pump ;) :thumb:

Thats exactly what I ment to type!!:cry:

BIGS
29-12-08, 11:11 PM
None taken, and i think you hit the hammer on the head their mate.

Thanks for everyones input, will deffiantly be sticking around here:thumb:

Many happy nova miles to come hopefully!

lol And many on the side of the road, anyway welcome bud. once you have 15 posts without spamming post pics of the car:thumb:

Dod
29-12-08, 11:13 PM
Meh, I say spam away. Theres definately not enough people doing it. lol

BIGS
29-12-08, 11:13 PM
no just you haha and maybe another one begining with E

Nova_Sean
29-12-08, 11:16 PM
She isnt anything special guys, and a 5dr. and i know you lot don't like the 5 door!!!

Dod
29-12-08, 11:16 PM
E-bigs?

5drs are still respected round here but more as donors than anything else although there has been a few fine examples. Whats the plans for it?

Nova_Sean
29-12-08, 11:29 PM
None as of yet.

Im planning on keeping as stock-ish as i dont have the money to splash around, what with insurance costing 1700 and lessons and the likes.

Fancied lowering it though as it sits on what can only be described as stilts atm.

Want to get a stereo aswell got some 6 x 9's for back buy unsure to whether parcel shelf is strong enough for them.

BIGS
29-12-08, 11:35 PM
Yea Emmy i thought you would of got that one ?

And dont worry its a nova isnt it thats enough. And its a few nice ones as already said.

Dod
29-12-08, 11:39 PM
Well first things first, get yourself a Haynes Manual. Tidy Max in here started off like you and he's gotten a Haynes Manual, a Halfords tool set and never looked back. lol

Nova_Sean
29-12-08, 11:48 PM
Well first things first, get yourself a Haynes Manual. Tidy Max in here started off like you and he's gotten a Haynes Manual, a Halfords tool set and never looked back. lol

One step ahead. got the manaul!! :D

Jack
30-12-08, 12:23 AM
(Steering on the spot)l
Dry Steering will be a test fail for improper control of the car :thumb:

A standard Nova should be light as a feather to steer when the wheels are rolling, and tbh even when still on standard wheels it shouldn't be too hard.

Have a look in Craig Green's WIP, he's got PAS.

Andy
30-12-08, 12:41 AM
Power steering's for puffs

Dod
30-12-08, 11:50 AM
Power steering's for puffs

A bold statement, look at how many Rally Cars have them fitted and I'm sure theres 1 or 2 PNG members that have it in their Road cars.

Jack
30-12-08, 11:54 AM
A bold statement, look at how many Rally Cars have them fitted and I'm sure theres 1 or 2 PNG members that have it in their Road cars.
They probably just did it because they can, I know I would.

Comparing an everyday road car to a rally car isn't really a fair comparison. Thats like saying he should do a 4WD conversion because WRC cars have it :p

Dod
30-12-08, 12:16 PM
True, but never the less, they have been done to road cars, and as you said, probably due to the fact that its an extra line for the Spec sheet which is a good enough reason in most cases as well. Fitting it because you need it is a seperate issue and tbh isnt really a good reason to want it in a Nova.

Stuart
30-12-08, 12:49 PM
There shall be a nova about soon (if he pulls his finger out and works on the car rather than his job lol) that should technically need P/S but odds on it will be a dream to drive without it (and hopefully its going to have a plate diff in there to make it harder too)

AlexW
30-12-08, 02:34 PM
Im doing this mod, not because of heavy steering or the like but simply because i can and it makes the car nicer to drive.

If you want to know anything about it PM me, next month mine will be finished

Jack
30-12-08, 05:40 PM
Alex, you using Corsa EPAS stuff? Might be interested in costs and work involved in that.

Get pics and make a how to article :D

Nova_Sean
30-12-08, 10:51 PM
Yeh, i would be intrested in cost's aswell.

xxspudxx
31-12-08, 02:25 AM
Corsa epas ftw!!!! quick rack + small steering wheel + 90% tran-x dif = fu<k that!!!!

i got my power steering pump + colum for 70quid, then 50 quid for simulator, dash out, chop bulk head where colum mount is, mount lower and to the right a bit, weld up with few bits of bracing, mount epas, wire up, power steering, nice and simple!! If i can do it then any monkey can

Stuart
31-12-08, 09:46 AM
£50 for a couple of quids worth of bits..... bastids!!!! Alex, I'd like to have a gander at the epas control uni at some point if you dont mind :D (and if you have the simulator then I want to copy it and knock em out cheap lol)

AlexW
31-12-08, 10:15 AM
Unfortantely im going for the standard "wet rack" system, (Basicly how CG has done his). I did look into EPAS but the cost would have put them about the same, i decided on the wetrack as the parts came up local and cheap (rack cost me 99p 5miles away lol) The most expensive part is the pipes (custom made)

And when i asked a few people they wernt sure if the EPAS could be used with a standard dash so didnt fancy doing all that work to find out it wont work lol

brucer
31-12-08, 11:18 AM
Unfortantely im going for the standard "wet rack" system, (Basicly how CG has done his). I did look into EPAS but the cost would have put them about the same, i decided on the wetrack as the parts came up local and cheap (rack cost me 99p 5miles away lol) The most expensive part is the pipes (custom made)

And when i asked a few people they wernt sure if the EPAS could be used with a standard dash so didnt fancy doing all that work to find out it wont work lol

i was planning on doing the "wet rack" too but only reason was to have a kwik rack to counter balance bad steering in car parks etc.but cant find a kwik rack for a corsa rack.

anybody no of where to get one?

AlexW
01-01-09, 12:19 AM
If you want a kwik rack then i would go for the EPAS, and a nova kwik race.

I belive its possible to get kwik rack internals for the PAS but harder to get, never seen any myself.

General Baxter
01-01-09, 12:31 AM
std rack, std nova steering wheel, and correct off-set alloys, good suspension set up

can not go wrong, nuts to all this PAS stuff lol

brucer
01-01-09, 12:59 AM
If you want a kwik rack then i would go for the EPAS, and a nova kwik race.

I belive its possible to get kwik rack internals for the PAS but harder to get, never seen any myself.

craig greens is a kwik rack,aparently he brought it that way so who knows.lol.think i might stay with standard rack for now.