PDA

View Full Version : Vibration from gearstick

Iain
27-12-08, 01:43 PM
Has anybody encountered this before? There's a high pitched metallic rattle from my gearstick at 3500rpm and above, and gets louder at higher rpm. It can be stopped by keeping your hand on the gearknob or just pushing it forward slightly.

I've changed the gearstick/housing/rod to one which I'm 90% sure did not rattle when it was last used, and had my linkage off and can't see anywhere it could be vibrating against. I can't hear if the linkage is rattling though due to engine noise when above idle.
Also removed the heat shields so it's not them vibrating against anything.

Any ideas? :)

Spudly
27-12-08, 01:54 PM
Ive had this on all of my novas and heard it in some of my mates even though they have contested they couldnt hear it, i think its play in the metal parts of the linkage vibrating back through from the gearbox end but ive never actually figured out where it comes from but dont worry though nothing is about to fall off on you!

Iain
27-12-08, 01:56 PM
It's been doing it for a while, but there's only so much you can put up with! It's very loud when at high rpm.

Spudly
27-12-08, 02:05 PM
It was never overly loud in any of mine but i know exactly what you mean though, have you checked all the bolts that hold the underside of the gearstick into the car to make sure theyre not loose, try spraying some thick oil/light grease onto all of the moving parts as that should coushion any parts that are moving or rattling!

Iain
27-12-08, 02:08 PM
I replaced the stick and housing and I tightened the bolts up correctly. While it was out I had the bottom balljoint etc unbolted and greased all the moving parts up inside it.

Spudly
27-12-08, 02:15 PM
Well in which case it cant actually be the gearstick then if all parts are greased or tightened correctly, but common sense dictates that it should be as when you push down slightly or hold the stick to the side or forwards it stops it.
Its something i always wondered about but ive just remembered your car is stripped out isnt it, thats why its louder in yours than it was in any of mine i reckon, its echoing through your shell!

Ive not been under a nova in a long while but arent there two bars running from under the gearstick mounting to the box and box mount?

Could it be one of those loose or just play in it through age?

brainsnova
27-12-08, 02:18 PM
are the engine mounts sound as that may cause vibration through the stick.

Iain
27-12-08, 02:30 PM
The engine mounts are about 8 months old, they have a bit of play in them but wouldn't think they're the cause of the problem. It's a proper metallic rattle not excessive movement.

I've just remembered, when I held it at 4000rpm with the gearstick disconnected from the linkage there was no noise. Might mean the vibration is travelling from the linkage. :confused:

I'm currently trying to swap the selector housing on top of the gearbox as I have one with less play in it. lol

Spudly
27-12-08, 02:39 PM
I've just remembered, when I held it at 4000rpm with the gearstick disconnected from the linkage there was no noise. Might mean the vibration is travelling from the linkage. :confused:

i think its play in the metal parts of the linkage vibrating back through from the gearbox end

Errrm iain, i already said that ya goon lol

Iain
27-12-08, 03:30 PM
Humph. lol It's a rosejointed linkage so the only play is where it bolts to the selector and where it pivots.

Spudly
27-12-08, 03:52 PM
And im guessing youve had a wiggle at those to see if its the cause?

Im guessing with it being so tinny and having a high pitch that its only something small or thin thats vibrating so it could be there?

General Baxter
27-12-08, 04:34 PM
i had this, but that was becasue my engine fell out lol

Paul
27-12-08, 08:12 PM
iain, is it not that motor you rigged in there under the gearstick gaitor, to help you pleasure yourself before you go in at night?

Iain
27-12-08, 11:37 PM
wtf lol