PDA

View Full Version : whats every ones view on the new mot rule

johnny_turbo
26-12-08, 07:32 PM
ive just found out from my mums bf that my car and every one elses will fail its next mot if it has a non standard exhaust . I think that it's rediculous (spelling) as i could understand if the exhaust's was very loud. It was put into the mot system about a week ago i know some mot stations will still pass them.

General Baxter
26-12-08, 07:36 PM
i bet its missing a cat lol

MK999
26-12-08, 07:37 PM
can sort of understand if it's got a decat (although it's pretty stupid if it still passes the emissions without one) but any non standard exhaust? that's a bit silly.

let_nova
26-12-08, 07:48 PM
so on mot'ing a LET nova that used to be a 1ltr 8v?

FUSION X16XE
26-12-08, 08:23 PM
This isnt true is it? ive just had my car MOT'd with a after market exhaust...

MyNovaSr
26-12-08, 08:26 PM
cant be true, pulling your chain mate

7ova
26-12-08, 08:46 PM
is your mums bf a mot tester?

Dod
26-12-08, 08:47 PM
This has been the way in Ireland for a few years now, the same with Tinted Windows. They have both been made illegal and are supposed to be an instant NCT (National Car Test) Fail. So far its been neither, cops dont give you grief unless your windscreen is tinted and your exhaust it too loud. Same as the NCT Centres although they are coming under increasing pressure to impliment(sp) it.

I say put your car through, Performance exhaust and all. That way you know if its Legal or illegal and you have something to fall back on if quizzes by the Police.

Spudly
26-12-08, 09:08 PM
So if this were to be true then i know of a 73 year old guy who has owned a fiesta turbo locally from it being six months old and he has just had his exhaust replaced as it had finally rotted through.
The garage he got to do it couldnt source one as nowhere makes standard fitment ones anymore so they ended up having to source and fit a mongoose (iirc) so does this mean his car will never pass an mot and therefore never be on the road again, hmmmm cant see it tbh but having said that i know for a fact that the government wants rid of old cars from the road so you never know then it could actually be true!

Mike
26-12-08, 09:12 PM
PMSL lol lol

Couldnt care less wether its true or not, I can garantee myself, and most others on here will still get an MOT pass :thumb:

Jack
26-12-08, 09:14 PM
This is old news and has been doing the rounds on the Internet for years.

An MOT tester CAN however fail your car if he thinks its too loud, thats always been the case. Considering both the Celica and the Nova with its fart cannon passed MOTs, I shouldn't worry about it.

Count Vaux Alot
26-12-08, 09:17 PM
Whats the official noise reg for an exhaust then? Basically what is 'too loud' or is it a case for at the testers descretion?

Jack
26-12-08, 09:37 PM
at the testers descretion?
:thumb:

Its written in the manual that if a tester deems it louder than the car would be with a standard exhaust, he can fail it.

General Baxter
26-12-08, 09:40 PM
my mot'er is ace :)

if its just stupid things, he says **** it,

i remembered the switch on my fog light ****ed it, still passed it lol

brucer
26-12-08, 09:49 PM
t'is true what has been said.blokes at work had a mail bout it when they logged into there account before they tested a few weeks ago.is upto the tester for the pass and fail,but is becoming more of a law know for mots.how far some testers will take it i dont no.

Ste L
26-12-08, 10:19 PM
if it was true..

what would you do about a valver in a nova, as it's a non standard engine, the exhaust would have to be non standard to go with it :look:

phazer
26-12-08, 11:14 PM
How many times do daft MOT stories do the rounds??? There are loads of things you could technically fail on but people rarely do.

Check here: http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm

With specific reference to this reason for fail:

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

As someone said earlier, any after market exhaust louder than factory technically could fail, it's all subjective and down to the tester.

Don't go daft with exhaust noise and you'll be ok, besides I don't see an intake noise section on the MOT, I reckon my TB's on full monty are louder than the exhaust lol

Saloony
26-12-08, 11:23 PM
Right clear this fooker up right away... yes doopey loud it could possibly fail, but many key factors hinder the failure;

1, we are not supplied with DB meters
2, Its down to opinion at the end so no real grounds to fail
and
3, if we had DB meters we would have to take said vehicle in to an huge plot of land were there is no trees, buildings... anything to test the noise level so sound will not be bouncing...

What mot station is outside...none, so a conclusive test really cant be had as sound is bouncing off the walls. And theres the floor in the rules 'a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition' so you have to have another car to compare it too... which you wont at the time, plus it doesnt say a similar vehicle fitted with 'standard silencer'.....

brainsnova
26-12-08, 11:29 PM
my m.o.t guy is sound so no probs over here lol

Asa-James
26-12-08, 11:49 PM
for the MOT with my daft alfa can on the back, which set car alarms off (heehee) i took it along to a guy who works on TVR's all day,

matt_vaughan
27-12-08, 12:00 AM
Mine set a Corsa Sport alarm off other day, was rather a laugh, and I dont even consider mine to be loud.

brainsnova
27-12-08, 12:11 AM
cheap car alarms or sensitive shock sensors are the cause lol

Saloony
27-12-08, 12:16 AM
Hitting them i find sets them off too

matt_vaughan
27-12-08, 12:32 AM
my dads caterham type thing when on very low revs, you can set of a line of parked cars as you go past, good game seeing how many you can get in a row.

Graeme
27-12-08, 09:57 AM
Its probably been cleared up above but my tester always says it has to be similar to a similar vehicle and if he doesn't have access to a similar vehicle then how can he fail it?

meritlover
27-12-08, 10:29 AM
define 'non-standard' even pattern parts differ between manufacturers. different pipe diameters/silencer internals.

its going down a slippery slope of judging whats factory spec and what isnt.
i.e brake pad material, wheel types, tyre choice..etc..

Stuart
27-12-08, 10:41 AM
define 'non-standard' even pattern parts differ between manufacturers. different pipe diameters/silencer internals.

its going down a slippery slope of judging whats factory spec and what isnt.
i.e brake pad material, wheel types, tyre choice..etc..

OEM tyre air too :thumb:

Dod
27-12-08, 12:37 PM
OEM and Standard is going to be a very awkward one to define. If you replace your 20yo exhaust system with one of identical spec but made from a different manufactuter(sp) is that modified? Also, will most of these MOT Testers and Local Athorities know the difference betweeen OEM Items and Modified/Uprated items such as springs, shocks, engine components and even what is a Factory fitted Bodykit and an aftermarket item?

What happened over here is that for 1 week, the cops went mad, stopping everyone and causing a huge fuss but after getting so much grief, after 7 days it died down nation wide. It's like everything, it'll pass.

Plug
27-12-08, 12:38 PM
OEM tyre air too :thumb:

PMSL lol

johnny_turbo
27-12-08, 04:51 PM
i bet its missing a cat lol

mines to old it dint come with one

is your mums bf a mot tester?

yes he is

spanishfly
27-12-08, 06:59 PM
One MOT tester rejected to mot mine, well two did. First one was my fault I gave it 7000 rpm up the road the center is on (clear it out lmao) I think the 2nd one must talk to the first as he said it was too loud.

burgo
27-12-08, 11:51 PM
meh mine will never fail its MOT :)

corsakid
28-12-08, 09:36 AM
how can you fit a standard exhaust to a car with a different engine in, ie xe or let, and if the exhaust is to loud with an xe or let in it says in the handbook sumit like ' if the exhaust note is noticibly louder than on a vehicle of similar make and model thats a reason for rejection' that cant be the case with a nova with a let in,how is a let/xe in a nova supposed to sound? as vauxhall never produced them you cant possible say, i can uinderstand really if its a straight through pipe no boxes etc then obviously i would fail if to loud but can always be got round easy enough ;) my cars will always get a pass certificate!:D

Dod
28-12-08, 10:29 AM
This is the thing, I can see them trying to clamp down on this as well. They've been trying it unsucessfully over here for ages but its so difficult to identify engine conversions and modifications that its just not happening.

dougie_boi
28-12-08, 11:29 AM
as long as the car is registered with another engine fitted like say an xe or let or wot ever and passes the emissions test from what ever car the engine came out of as im sure the imissions catagory changes when new engine registerd in car. but when it comes to load factor then it can oanly be judged on an opinion as wen a took my bmw 325 for its mot it had a straight through exhaust on and passed and was loud the guy said to me that passed it commented on the noise but was not within reason to fail it as there was no means of testing it as they cant use a db reader in the workshop due to other noise like buzz guns etc. heres how loud it was http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8bXMqvzp0wc

phazer
28-12-08, 05:13 PM
as long as the car is registered with another engine fitted like say an xe or let or wot ever and passes the emissions test from what ever car the engine came out of as im sure the imissions catagory changes when new engine registerd in car. but when it comes to load factor then it can oanly be judged on an opinion as wen a took my bmw 325 for its mot it had a straight through exhaust on and passed and was loud the guy said to me that passed it commented on the noise but was not within reason to fail it as there was no means of testing it as they cant use a db reader in the workshop due to other noise like buzz guns etc. heres how loud it was http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8bXMqvzp0wc

The emissions test is done based on what is older, the car or the engine. The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove the engine age. So if you fit a 1990 engine to a 2005 car you will have a 2005 emissions test unless you can prove the age of the engine. With my Nova it goes on the age of the car as it's clearly older than the engine (1994-1997) so I don't have to prove anything.

Nobby
28-12-08, 05:52 PM
Cant see this being true as theres alot of "loud" cars on the road, what about a car with a V8?? There loud as standard? all bullsht if you ask me!

dougie_boi
28-12-08, 06:50 PM
what about the likes of the k-plate novas as was told. but could be wrong that there the ones that need an emissions test? due to them leaving the factory with a catalitic convertor but take it that it just needs to pass the emissions for that year then n jobs a good,n as both my k-plate and e plate both got an emissions test at the mot garage but the e plate didnt have a strict test it was just a gd rev and check for smoke where as my k-plate had to be put on the emissions tester whice was strict! im not saying whos right or wrong just an opinion to what ive been told and seen thats all

phazer
28-12-08, 07:01 PM
what about the likes of the k-plate novas as was told. but could be wrong that there the ones that need an emissions test? due to them leaving the factory with a catalitic convertor but take it that it just needs to pass the emissions for that year then n jobs a good,n as both my k-plate and e plate both got an emissions test at the mot garage but the e plate didnt have a strict test it was just a gd rev and check for smoke where as my k-plate had to be put on the emissions tester whice was strict! im not saying whos right or wrong just an opinion to what ive been told and seen thats all

Mine is a K plate and has never had a CAT test, even at Vauxhall. The Ministry computer didn't list any Nova as needing a cat. However with the new computerised MOT I think they have changed it a little - the tester of mine last year said there was a window of discretion allowed for cars like mine (Novas are considered to have been built prior to august 1993). I don't believe that but they don't let you look at the mot computer :roll:

There is a flow chart on the MOT test website I posted earlier that you can follow. Basically having an engine fitted that wasn't ever in the car you have means you should never have more than the basic emissions test - though you may have to argue the toss and show the tester he is wrong! I haven't had to do this yet but each year I wait for the questions.

dougie_boi
28-12-08, 07:48 PM
cool yeah know exactly what you mean mate suppose it can only go by the law at the time but we all know what some mot testers are like some are brilliant and go by the book but theres some that go just by what they think and go at it hammer and tong as if it were a brand new car but take it the emission test for all nova just go by a simple smoke test ie high rev and look for smoke kind of thing? sorry bout the questions just that id rather here it from people like yous that know rather than listen to rumours lol

Saloony
29-12-08, 10:40 AM
And you boys are still missing the other option.. Ameture cars or kit cars.. tut tut, thats what you get for not being a tester lol