PDA

View Full Version : Can bottom arm bushes knock???

Adam
25-12-08, 01:24 PM
As above. Have a annoying knock everytime i brake/hit a bump etc, thought it was the steering rack. But had a closer look and it sounds like its coming from the bottom arm bush :confused:
You can feel it through the bottom arm/tie bar too if you hold it whilst rocking the suspension.
But how can a polybush make a knocking sound???

This was caused by my off at Donny btw, so maybe its bent the arm slightly. Nothing looks obvious though.

Iain
25-12-08, 01:46 PM
I don't remember if I suggested this the other night, but tried checking the bottom balljoint for play?

Adam
25-12-08, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it seems fine. But the noise does sound like a f**ked balljoint.
Might just change the balljoint.

Mike
25-12-08, 02:19 PM
Yes they can Ad if there totally funked lol

EDIT: Helps if i read the thread first lol you could have bent the arm but polybush's can knock if there funked.

Adam
25-12-08, 02:23 PM
I think the bush is knackered then :(
Time for some new arms, with standard rubber bushes.

Mike
25-12-08, 02:27 PM
How old are the bush though Ad?

Adam
25-12-08, 02:28 PM
Few years

Mike
25-12-08, 02:34 PM
Change them anyway then.

coombsey
25-12-08, 03:14 PM
one of my bushes knocked/banged going from lock to lock turned out to be the bolt wasnt tight enough

Adam
25-12-08, 03:28 PM
This knocks as soon as you touch a bump in the road/accelerate/decelerate etc. Can make it knock by just pressing down on the front end.....

Just had a closer look and i think the bottom arm is twisted. The front edge looks "higher" than the rear edge if you get me.
Would make sense really as when i hit the gravel it would have smashed right into the wheel, which could have pushed up the front edge of the bottom arm, thus twisting it.....

So think i'll just fit a new arm. Might do tother side too if i cba lol

Lee H
26-12-08, 08:53 PM
Mine does this as well, has done it every since I have fitted the quick rack (stereo was nicked around the same time so maybe it was doing it before this). Have changed track rod end and bottom arm and bush so far.

Does it when I go over bumps in the road and I can feel it through the steering wheel and pedals, it feels like something is really loose.

2lbill
26-12-08, 09:21 PM
could also be your strut tops mate possability anyway.

Adam
27-12-08, 02:18 PM
I thought strut tops too but ive had them off and they seem fine.

Lee-Yeah, that sounds exactly the same as mine..... Think i'll have to replace everything on the drivers side and see if that sorts it.

Lee H
28-12-08, 05:37 PM
Had a look at mine today and the appears to be some up and down play in the steering rack where the arms come out that is causing it. No idea how that can be fixed though.

Iain
28-12-08, 05:42 PM
Just fit a new rack, they're cheap as chips.

Adam
28-12-08, 05:43 PM
A new rack, hence why ive bought a new rack...... As i thought exactly the same, but having a closer look it sounds lower down than the steering rack to me.

Anyways, went out earlier and the noise has dissappeared :wtf: wtf lol
No longer does it, alls i recently done is had the drivers side wheel off and wound the coilover up and down/regreased the thread. HMMM

Lee H
28-12-08, 05:45 PM
Just fit a new rack, they're cheap as chips.

Quick racks aren't.

Adam
28-12-08, 05:49 PM
£80 one on mig right now..

Ive got a new std rack fit, but as said the noise on mine has gone now.
So maybe mine was just gravel stuck somewhere by the bottom arm from Donnington.. Will keep an eye on it

Benn
28-12-08, 06:29 PM
Polly bushed arms can know like funk.
New gm ones are under 20 a side. (with bush.)

Adam
28-12-08, 06:32 PM
I think it was the bottom arm, but why the hell its stopped now im not sure.

Benn
28-12-08, 06:38 PM
Do you remember odd balls thread on mig from a years back about them?
The metal bar in the bush can wear the bush away at an odd angle then when it move it can knock its **** off. Then maybe move again and stop..

Adam
28-12-08, 06:44 PM
Thats probably whats happened then.
Polybushes are overated anyway lol

Benn
28-12-08, 07:00 PM
Yep they are wannk.
New gm rubber is the way.