PDA

View Full Version : Immobiliser on a calibra redtop

Nobby
24-12-08, 04:42 PM
hi lads, ive got a calibra redtop that im using the engine for in my nova now the car has an immobiliser fitted and im scared that when i take the engine and loom out the engine will never run again! Is it an easy job to remove? i foun 2 little black boxs that seem to connect up to the key thing on the dash next to the standard car ecu any one help me out? cheers In advance!:thumb: :confused:

AlexW
24-12-08, 04:44 PM
trace the wires back, check where each wire has been cut etc and tbh theres only one way to test it once you have removed it, by starting it lol

Nobby
24-12-08, 04:46 PM
that was my idea lol just reconnect the wires that have been cut and remove the imob loom?

AlexW
24-12-08, 05:05 PM
Should be that easy lol, depends how it was fitted tbh and how well lol

Nobby
24-12-08, 05:12 PM
cheers matey ill let u know how i get on lol

leigh16v
24-12-08, 05:47 PM
Immobiliser's were never fitted as standard untill 1995, so being a red top it won't have one that's in the ecu, it will only be on the car loom and won't be anything to do with the engine loom, so you won't have any trouble

Nobby
24-12-08, 06:06 PM
^^^^ thanks mate^^^^

Clean 2.0 nova
25-12-08, 07:09 PM
From my (little) experience of aftermarket immobilisers, they only interupt two wires that are required to run the engine. The first possible and normal candidate been the feed to the fuel pump (look for wires chopped into a red/blu wire). The other places are run feed from ignition to ecu (Black wire) or cranking wire from ignition to starter (bad idea though as this doesn't stop bumping off). Obviously the installer could have picked numerous wires to inhibit the engine if the immobiliser isn't unset. Just rip it out, the worst you will find when youv'e finished cutting it out is 4 unconnected wires, 2 been the same colour as the other two, just connect the pairs together.

Iain

AlexW
25-12-08, 07:15 PM
^^ correct, for work when i fit them depending on the imbo i fit it to more than one wire.

when your removing the imbo if its part of a alarm make sure that is removed too, as they can be linked (unless its not all one unit ofc)

Paul
27-12-08, 07:46 PM
wont make sod all difference, remove engine as normal and wire up as normal.

MyNovaSr
27-12-08, 07:57 PM
I took my alarm out the other day and it would not run, seemed to be linked through the alarm, its still in there because of this lol.

i.e.I removed the power wire from alarm to bat.