PDA

View Full Version : Who knew it would be so hard to get a quote!

AlexW
23-12-08, 01:03 PM
Thought i would give autotrader a ring today and ask how much the insurance would go up if i decided to change the engine in my nova.
I got asked some really silly questions about what car the engine came from, how much it would cost, etc etc etc

And then to be told that unless i knew the full specs of the car it came from i wouldnt be able to get a quote, really wish i had gone with someone else now. When i went with them it was because it was the cheapest, i never intended on modding the car.

I hate autotrader!

Jack
23-12-08, 01:09 PM
Cheapest insurance company is not always the best :thumb:

Unfortunately, having a modded car restricts your range of insurance options, if you have an engine conversion thats going to restrict it even more lol

AlexW
23-12-08, 01:34 PM
I know RJ, i think il eather just have to say i bought it as a re-condition engine or pay the fee to cancle it. :(

Andy
23-12-08, 01:43 PM
I got well and truly shafted by my insurance company after i put a 1300 engine in my Nova.They couldnt believe a Belmont engine fit into a Nova:tard::tard:
"Im sorry sir that must have had extensive work carried out to fit that in there"
"Err no...:wtf::mad:
"We cannot cover such extensive work carried out like that":tard:
I didnt get charged though

Welsh Dan
23-12-08, 01:45 PM
I know RJ, i think il eather just have to say i bought it as a re-condition engine or pay the fee to cancle it. :(

When is your renewal due?

draper
23-12-08, 01:49 PM
what engine change have you got planned ?

i was under the impression that the general rule is/was whatever the engine came out of your insurance uses that insurance group, so if its out a corsa GSi they class it as that

Jack
23-12-08, 02:08 PM
Damper, unfortunately thats not the case any more for most insurance companies.

When is your renewal due?
Just what I was thinking, if its any less than 6 months just leave it with the current engine then do the swap come renewal time.

AlexW
23-12-08, 02:08 PM
Dan - not untill september :(

Draper - X14XE

Ernie
23-12-08, 05:24 PM
i just phoned my insurance (Adrian Flux) and said i would like to insure my nova (the white one) with everything declared including the engine change and new coilovers and they put it on to a rally insurance which covers new for old on all the parts.£250 on a seperate policy as it will only be driven once in a wile at weekend the rest of the time it will be trailered to track days.
It only took about 5 mins to sort out.

Adam
23-12-08, 05:26 PM
X14xe is a cheap as fook conversion to insure!!!

Wail until your renewals due and then use a decent company. Hic, or Sky to get your discount!!

draper
23-12-08, 05:28 PM
also why do you have to pay a cancellation fee ? ive never had that

Jack
23-12-08, 05:52 PM
Because you're terminating a contract to pay the insurance company a set amount in return for insurance cover over a pre-defined period of time. You want out of the contract thus have to pay a small penalty fee. Most call it an "admin charge" which IMO is a massive misnomer as it doesn't cost ~£25 of someone's time just to click "cancel policy" on a computer database and post a cancellation confirmation letter :roll:

All the policies I've dealt with have cancellation/admin fees. Sometimes they've waived the fees though for whatever reason

Matt Pickering
23-12-08, 06:18 PM
just insure it as a 1.2i, police and insurance people won't know the difference

Spudly
23-12-08, 07:13 PM
also why do you have to pay a cancellation fee ? ive never had that

I have, due to HIC not wanting to insure my old XE whilst it was off road with a terminal engine so they cancelled my policy and demanded i pay the rest of the policy in full.

I argued and lost and they still say i owe them £700 ish, which is a shame as they were really good and V helpful and werent overly expensive but as a result i now have no, no-claims as they wouldnt release my no-claims history as punishment....

But all of that aside id still recommend trying HIC tbh, as when i first got a quote on it i only needed to explain that yes it was a manufacturers OE engine and what rough model and year it will have come from, im guessing they will have come across that before as they didnt even ask for an engineers report either.

Hth bud:thumb:

Stoo
23-12-08, 07:17 PM

So if he was to (god forbid) run into your car with his 1.2 logged 1.4 16v, and the insurance company deemed his insurance invalid after inspection due to having a completely different engine fitted, that would be ok would it??

Tard, jeez some people dont belong in the gene pool! :roll:

Andy
23-12-08, 07:27 PM
:tard::tard:

let_nova
23-12-08, 09:06 PM

this is one of the many reasons that insurance is high!:mad:

AlexW
24-12-08, 12:41 PM
I think il just have to foot the canclelation fee of 50% and £35 on top!:mad:

Andy
24-12-08, 01:45 PM
Thats bollox man

AlexW
24-12-08, 02:33 PM
Yep, but it teaches me for A) going with the cheapest and B) deciding to mod the car when i never intended to lol

Ah well, my own fault, going to give them a ring again after xmas and give them some bull that its a reconned engine that i dont know what it came from, if i still have problems il have to foot the bill and go elsewhere :mad:

Rich
24-12-08, 03:26 PM
They asked you the specs of the car it came from? If i were you id just tell them a load of crap and make up the spec of the car it came from. Tell them its a replacment engine taken from a corsa blablabla.

If they have asked they will probably use the donar car for the price of insurance. Maybe tell them a trained garage/vauxhall mechanic has fitted it due to the previous engine failing.

Its strange they asked about the origional car, most of the time you would get told 'we do not cover this type of modification'

AlexW
24-12-08, 04:33 PM
They asked you the specs of the car it came from? If i were you id just tell them a load of crap and make up the spec of the car it came from. Tell them its a replacment engine taken from a corsa blablabla.

If they have asked they will probably use the donar car for the price of insurance. Maybe tell them a trained garage/vauxhall mechanic has fitted it due to the previous engine failing.

Its strange they asked about the origional car, most of the time you would get told 'we do not cover this type of modification'

I thought the same, IMO there farking useless, will sort it after xmas :(

Sloth
24-12-08, 05:59 PM
try quinn, they like modified cars, my xe nova was 650 fully comp, with 9 points, and 1 yrs n/c. had a licence fer 5 years. the kid actually said "ah an astra gte engine, thats easy." lol!

matt_vaughan
24-12-08, 11:33 PM
try quinn, they like modified cars, my xe nova was 650 fully comp, with 9 points, and 1 yrs n/c. had a licence fer 5 years. the kid actually said "ah an astra gte engine, thats easy." lol!

Quinn and the likes probably know about conversions inside out from insuring so many, and declining so many people insurance due to not having "Redtops" declared.

bmw156
24-12-08, 11:48 PM
aw06 you are losing the 50% of your policy, i thought they repay you that money and you just pay the 35 quid or what ever it is.

hope you can get it sorted dude as i have got to help with this conversion in the new year klol

AlexW
24-12-08, 11:50 PM
aye mate il find out after xmas, whatever the engine is getting changed, if i have to cancle the policy or pay a lot more, eather way.

Twistie
25-12-08, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Matt-K36TDD

this is one of the many reasons that insurance is high!:mad:

lollollol its true tho lollollol

white2lSR
25-12-08, 10:57 PM
Any insurance company will ask you what engine the car has come out of etc, etc, etc. How else can they put together a quote??? :tard:

Jack
25-12-08, 11:02 PM
Because some do it on power output.

I'm pretty sure Sky didn't ask me what car the engine came from, just capacity and power. I certainly don't recall listing engine source on the mods form