PDA

View Full Version : LET not idling?

let_nova
22-12-08, 11:13 PM
started the LET up the nite and it wont idle with the AFM plugged in. only with it unplugged. so i thought it would be th AFM but i tried it in another LET and it seems to be fine?:wtf: changed the ICV but its still the same?

any help app.:thumb:

meritlover
22-12-08, 11:47 PM
is the AFM in the right way round?

Paul
23-12-08, 10:18 AM
sounds like some sort of air leak to me,

although I have noticed a few AFM's the wrong way round before, as they electrical plug is on the other side to the XE AFM's so that can throw people, although they do have an arrow on the top of them.

let_nova
23-12-08, 11:20 AM
the AFM has the arrow pointing towards the turbo which i pressume is the right way.

Paul
23-12-08, 11:21 AM
it is indeed what vacuum is it holding?

let_nova
23-12-08, 11:26 AM
holding vacuum?

Paul
23-12-08, 11:29 AM
Yeh assuming you have a boost gauge is should be about -15 or so on idle, if you have an air leak it may not idle and the guage will read 0 or maybe -1/2. Sounds like an air leak to me.

let_nova
23-12-08, 09:28 PM
why will it idle fine with the AFM unplugged? any ideas?

meritlover
23-12-08, 10:07 PM
because the AFM might be reading rubbish flow values but because the voltage isnt low/high there isnt a code genereated so the ECU assumes the value of flow is correct and therefor adjusts the fueling to suit.

unplugging the AFM will generate a fault and a default value to be substituted for the 'live value' this will be closer to the nonesense the AFM was reading, so it runs better. although its not right......

meritlover
23-12-08, 10:08 PM
however the fact that youve tried it on another let would suggest what id written is true, but not applicable in this case

let_nova
23-12-08, 10:26 PM
im confuggled!!!

Rich
24-12-08, 05:30 PM
The afm will be telling the ECU its getting x amount of air into the engine.

If there is an air leak after the afm, it will be getting more air than the ECU thinks, meaning it will not be putting enough/too much fuel in causing bad idle or cutting out.

When the afm is unplugged the ECU sees there is a fault, so it uses a default reading which may be better for the amount of air the engines actually getting

Easier to understand?

Does it run if you hold the throttle open?

meritlover
24-12-08, 10:16 PM
it does sound like its running lean. could be due to low fuel pressure (ie bad reg or wrong pump)
as if the AFM is disconnected, the ECU will automatically dump loads more fuel down to keep it safe.

are your boost hoses connected properly? including to/from the boost controller?

let_nova
25-12-08, 12:13 AM
it does run when you hald the throttle open. it blew a intercooler hose tonight the 1 that goes onto the bottom of the turbo so i maybe think that this is where the air leak has bee causing the cuttuin out? thanks very much for all info and will post my results when the pipe is fixed. rep both ways.

let_nova
26-12-08, 05:14 PM
well tightened all the intercooler hoses again so hopefully no air leaks.

i wired a new plug onto the temp switch but as there wasnt a plug on it before wasnt sure if i wired it correct?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/incanova/car.jpg

also is running with no airfilter just now just from the air filter would this cause poor idling?

let_nova
27-12-08, 12:26 AM
anyone?

meritlover
27-12-08, 07:04 AM
please solder or at least crimp your connections, strip-and-twist just wont do :(

let_nova
27-12-08, 07:43 PM
please solder or at least crimp your connections, strip-and-twist just wont do :(

they will be getting soldred this is just a pic to ask.

so anybody??

today i held the revs on the throttlebody with the afm unplugged then as i held the revs i plugged the afm back in then it idled but it would only also idle when it was warm?:tard:

Paul
27-12-08, 07:45 PM
today i held the revs on the throttlebody with the afm unplugged then as i held the revs i plugged the afm back in then it idled but it would only also idle when it was warm?:tard:

What? :tard:

let_nova
27-12-08, 07:46 PM
what?

Paul
27-12-08, 07:53 PM
what does that say? cant make head nor tails of it.

let_nova
27-12-08, 07:57 PM
right the car only seems to idle when the air flow meter is unplugged. as when you plug it in it dies. so i started the engine with the air flow meter unplugged i then gave it some revs using my finger on the throttlebody as i held the revs i plugged in the air flow meter let go of the revs and it idled. but when i turned it off and started it again it wouldnt run?

that better?

Adam
27-12-08, 08:01 PM
Got another afm try?

let_nova
27-12-08, 08:03 PM
i took my afm to a lad up the road to try in his and it seemed to run ok. he was a bit funny of trying his in mine incase it funked it.

Paul
27-12-08, 08:03 PM
i still reckon it has an air leak though, have you checked all the vacuum/boost pipes, even the little ones which contol the fpr etc?

As said before by MeritLover, if the afm is dodgy then when un plugged it will run better than when being plugged in, but as youve tested it on another LET and it ran fine, then its not the AFM, so youre barking up the wrong tree.

let_nova
27-12-08, 08:10 PM
i still reckon it has an air leak though, have you checked all the vacuum/boost pipes, even the little ones which contol the fpr etc?

As said before by MeritLover, if the afm is dodgy then when un plugged it will run better than when being plugged in, but as youve tested it on another LET and it ran fine, then its not the AFM, so youre barking up the wrong tree.

yeah ive checked all boost pipes etc again and again but no leaks.:mad:

Paul
27-12-08, 08:13 PM
so on idle its holding what vacuum on the gauge?

let_nova
27-12-08, 08:13 PM

Paul
27-12-08, 08:28 PM
hmm, bit low but should be ok, ideally you want to get a mate with a LET and swap bits over til it works, thats the easiest way.

let_nova
27-12-08, 08:41 PM
yeah i know but as theres only 2 lets around here. and the other guy is a bit protective over his car!!

thanks for help and patience,

Paul
27-12-08, 08:48 PM
hmm, dont what else to suggeust really, wiothout being there and having a play myself, its hard to say. probably wouldnt be able tio fit it anyway Lol

let_nova
27-12-08, 08:49 PM
probably wouldnt be able tio fit it anyway Lol

??:wtf:

Paul
27-12-08, 08:53 PM
sorry on my phone lol.

I probably wouldnt be able to fix it anyway Lol

let_nova
27-12-08, 08:54 PM
now that dedication for ya!!! using the phone for png!!!

Paul
27-12-08, 08:59 PM
Lol good luck with mate, im pretty stuck but maybe someone will be able to help some more.

Rich
28-12-08, 02:05 PM
well tightened all the intercooler hoses again so hopefully no air leaks.

i wired a new plug onto the temp switch but as there wasnt a plug on it before wasnt sure if i wired it correct?

(cut pic)

also is running with no airfilter just now just from the air filter would this cause poor idling?

Sorry if ive read this wrong, but have you been running it with no temp sensor connected?

Have you got an eml light wired up, try flashing the codes up and let us know what you get.

Rick Draper
28-12-08, 05:00 PM
You cannot wire the CTS in wrong. However running without it connected will not have been helping you with your problems.

let_nova
30-12-08, 09:15 PM
well after another day of trying to get the sh1t heap to idle all is not good.
changed the ICV again no difference. also changed the TCS no difference.
the car will idle very lumpy when it warms up and when you drive it it seems to get to about 3500 revs and looses power it still pulls but not loke it should.
also noticed when its boosting the volt guage drops and the lights dim?????

let_nova
30-12-08, 10:00 PM
also the ecu is chipped eds phase 2. and has a different actuator. also its running a intank pump.

16v Nova Kev
30-12-08, 10:49 PM
plugs/ leads/cold start switch funk knows mate

let_nova
30-12-08, 10:51 PM
been on mig ther

map sensor---or amal valve???????

or wrong plugs?

anybody know the code for let plugs???

let_nova
30-12-08, 10:51 PM
plugs/ leads/cold start switch funk knows mate

anyway get that car done!!

alan b
31-12-08, 03:41 PM
i had same problem and it was an air leak from a boost pipe.

let_nova
31-12-08, 07:55 PM
hmm i will check them again!!

let_nova
01-01-09, 04:33 PM
right today i tried again but still no joy. im sure theres no air leak.

if i unplug the airflow meter it dies but if i unplug it and squeeze the icv pipe so no air can pass through it idles near perfect??

let_nova
01-01-09, 06:12 PM
problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich
01-01-09, 06:47 PM
Be nice to post up what fixed it for anyone thats looking at similar problems in the future??

let_nova
01-01-09, 06:59 PM
i was going to but nature called.

well after trying my AFM in another car it was fine seemed to be no problems with mine. but after many days of head scratching and getting ready to advertise the whole car i gave it another go and tried my pals AFM in my car (didnt do this before as didnt want to damage any of his bits) and it fired up and idled all on its tod!!

Adam
01-01-09, 07:19 PM
;)

16v Nova Kev
01-01-09, 08:14 PM
well done son. pitty i had 500 quid with your name on it lol

let_nova
01-01-09, 08:21 PM
well chuffed!!! had it ticking over and the 2 niebours came out and complined as there windows and doors were vibrating!!!! 500 quid still worth the 800 i paid for it even not running right!!! lol

16v Nova Kev
01-01-09, 08:36 PM
i was talking about the whole car ha :thumb: :p

let_nova
01-01-09, 08:38 PM
once its running maybe for sale.... ......

not. after the time ive put into it i want some use of it!!!

16v Nova Kev
01-01-09, 08:43 PM
good dont sell it till i get a chance to overtake you a few times up the track:p :p

let_nova
01-01-09, 08:46 PM
overtake.... meh you aint got no chance the only time you will see me in your mirror is when im coming up behind you lapping you.......