PDA

View Full Version : shaving 256mm brakes

bmw156
21-12-08, 09:23 PM
hey guys and girls,
i want to make a trip to the ring in my nova, but dont want to user my standard small brakes as they wil crumbe at the first corner.

so want to fit some 256mm to cope. but i want to keep my 3 spokes.

can i have some advice on shaving the brake calipers so they fit under the alloy.

also what about using a 5mm spacer to get the clearance. would this be safe thrashing around the nurburgring.

or do you think i should get some cheap and cheerful steelies which will fit them??

burgo
21-12-08, 09:27 PM
what size spacer you need would depend on how much is left on the pads lol

i ran without a spacer but had to grind some off the caliper and use worn pads

Adam
21-12-08, 09:39 PM
Fit some 5.5j 14" Steels

bmw156
21-12-08, 09:42 PM
yeh adam thats what i think i am gonna do, dont fancy shaving a big brake, when im "thrashing" around the nurburgring
and i think i have just bought some sr steels of aw06 for 20 quid. billy bargin

Welsh Dan
21-12-08, 09:52 PM
I managed to fit 256x20mm (TD) brakes under my 3 spokes with a little shaving of the caliper and did 10-15k on them with no issues, I used new discs and pads when I fitted them. If you're planning a ring trip though I'd fit the brakes and some 15" wheels at least a thousand miles before to wear them in. Suitable track tyres should be cheaper in 15" aswell.

robertdevlin69
22-12-08, 08:55 AM
welsh dan makes a good point,the td brakes are more than adequit with the right pad/disk choice...

dhdev (Oli)
22-12-08, 09:15 AM
Oh dear god people, DO NOT GRIND DOWN BRAKE CALIPERS :cry::cry::cry:

phazer
22-12-08, 09:46 AM
Oh dear god people, DO NOT GRIND DOWN BRAKE CALIPERS :cry::cry::cry:

As with most things, do it right and it's not a problem. I guess you have visions of people cutting the spring lugs right off etc?

I had to 'trim' the original nova calipers to fit my speedlines. The 256mm calipers needed a teeny bit more work to get them to fit lol I reckon there are two casts of speedlines as some people don't need to do anything to fit the biggest V6 setups.

spanishfly
22-12-08, 09:55 AM
I think he has more visions that ATE designed them with the amount of material they have for a reason. Another thing that makes me chuckle is the 'use fiat coupe discs, you have to change the pads before they are half worn'. Then you might as well buy the vauxhall discs and use the pads till they run out! False economy.

dhdev (Oli)
22-12-08, 09:58 AM
I think he has more visions that ATE designed them with the amount of material they have for a reason. False economy.

+rep for having common sense, seems its in short supply these days :thumb:

spanishfly
22-12-08, 10:07 AM
I don't understand why though? They wouldn't take a grinder to a con-rod to make it lighter/fit, yet thats has no detrimental effect on crashing.

dhdev (Oli)
22-12-08, 10:21 AM
They can't get to a con-rod though ;) Brake calipers are nice and accessible behind rimz innit.
People need to realise that even brake calipers have a finite strength. They are designed to carry out a purpose for a set length of time with set operating conditions. By the time most people get their hands on their super duper ATE brake upgrade, that design life is probably near its end. To then remove material from the highest stressed area of the caliper is STUPID.

burgo
22-12-08, 10:56 AM
I think he has more visions that ATE designed them with the amount of material they have for a reason. Another thing that makes me chuckle is the 'use fiat coupe discs, you have to change the pads before they are half worn'. Then you might as well buy the vauxhall discs and use the pads till they run out! False economy.you see you say that but vauxhall made novas with funk more material than any of us have got, especially you oli. think of shaving your calipers as weight saving lol

burgo
22-12-08, 10:57 AM
I don't understand why though? They wouldn't take a grinder to a con-rod to make it lighter/fit, yet thats has no detrimental effect on crashing.not a grinder as such but a dremel yes i have. to de-seem them before being shot peened ;)

phazer
22-12-08, 11:02 AM
They can't get to a con-rod though ;) Brake calipers are nice and accessible behind rimz innit.
People need to realise that even brake calipers have a finite strength. They are designed to carry out a purpose for a set length of time with set operating conditions. By the time most people get their hands on their super duper ATE brake upgrade, that design life is probably near its end. To then remove material from the highest stressed area of the caliper is STUPID.

I hear what you are saying and know where you come from. I'm no bodger - I see running spacers as just as bad as it's outside of Vauxhall's original specifications for the hubs and bearings.

Which area are you referring to? Mine isn't shaved across the back section of the 'clamp' part of the caliper.

I bought mine new to avoid the second hand gamble.

phazer
22-12-08, 11:04 AM
I don't understand why though? They wouldn't take a grinder to a con-rod to make it lighter/fit, yet thats has no detrimental effect on crashing.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm mearly illustrating a point here:

Didn't your tie rods goose your front panel and cause a serious safety issue? So you have infact run something that is potentially dangerous? Because the design hadn't been entirely thought through?

My point was that if you do something right and understand what the consequences could be then you will be fine. I appreciate common sense is long dead in this country but meh.

AlexW
22-12-08, 11:05 AM
I get your point about the weakness of the caliper after, BUT i have done the large trim on my calipers for my 3 spokes, i know it makes a weakness right on the corner but that is where all the stregh is there is so much metal there and theres so little compared acutaly inline with the disc, i havnt even touched that bit.

phazer
22-12-08, 11:06 AM
Another thing that makes me chuckle is the 'use fiat coupe discs, you have to change the pads before they are half worn'. Then you might as well buy the vauxhall discs and use the pads till they run out! False economy.

Never heard that one :wtf:

Brand new discs and pads, with new pads each time is the only way for me.

dhdev (Oli)
22-12-08, 11:28 AM
The highest stressed area of a pin-sliding caliper is the fist portion, and ultimately the area where the fist curves from the horizontal disc spanning portion to the vertical for the pad backing.

Andy
22-12-08, 11:40 AM
One thing that is been forgotten here is that this car is only a 1200,would Gte brakes suffice? Its hardly going to be stopping from high speeds is it

phazer
22-12-08, 12:16 PM
The highest stressed area of a pin-sliding caliper is the fist portion, and ultimately the area where the fist curves from the horizontal disc spanning portion to the vertical for the pad backing.

Do you mean this type of caliper (Astra GSi ATE's, not mine btw)?
http://5chaap2k.servebeer.com/media/CorsaTuningClub/Pics/Diversen/remmen-spacers/astraklauwen.jpg

Or the older type that actually did have pins holding the pads?

matthew172
22-12-08, 12:27 PM
Do you mean this type of caliper (Astra GSi ATE's, not mine btw)?
http://5chaap2k.servebeer.com/media/CorsaTuningClub/Pics/Diversen/remmen-spacers/astraklauwen.jpg

Or the older type that actually did have pins holding the pads?

those are pin sliding callipers so are the older gte ones, just they also had pins that hold the pads in

dhdev (Oli)
22-12-08, 12:45 PM
Basically anything that isn't a four or six pot caliper is a pin sliding caliper.

Anywhere in this area is a big no-no. Not that I'd advise removing it from anywhere else at all.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/dhdev/astraklauwen.jpg

phazer
22-12-08, 02:44 PM
Basically anything that isn't a four or six pot caliper is a pin sliding caliper.

Anywhere in this area is a big no-no. Not that I'd advise removing it from anywhere else at all.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/dhdev/astraklauwen.jpg

Coolio, cheers for that - I wasn't sure what the proper name was :thumb:

You'll be pleased to know mine haven't been touched there at all lol

spanishfly
22-12-08, 06:16 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm mearly illustrating a point here:

Didn't your tie rods goose your front panel and cause a serious safety issue? So you have infact run something that is potentially dangerous? Because the design hadn't been entirely thought through?

My point was that if you do something right and understand what the consequences could be then you will be fine. I appreciate common sense is long dead in this country but meh.
Yes unfortunetly my cross member was weak and caused other problems. Big difference in my eyes is, a mate and me over looking something budget a few hundred, a manufacturer like ATE who would have developed and researched how much material is needed. Sorry brakes are just a gripe of mine, I go out to alot of joe publics who 'maintain' there cars by themselves. Few miles later they call us out to tow them home.

bmw156
22-12-08, 06:22 PM
ok people i hear what you are all saying, it is ok now. would be interested in the GTE brakes being capable for the job, do these fit under my 3 spokes, (5j btw)
and i have just got some 5.5j sr steelies from aw06 (thanks), so if i do decided to get the big 2.0 brakes then these will run them fine. with out any shaving

thanks for the opinions.

spanishfly
22-12-08, 06:25 PM
Unsure if they fit but Corsa Sport's have bigger than standard nova brakes. More than likely nova gte stuff thouygh.

AlexW
22-12-08, 07:13 PM
Martin catch me on msn again later :thumb:

phazer
22-12-08, 10:48 PM
Sorry brakes are just a gripe of mine, I go out to alot of joe publics who 'maintain' there cars by themselves. Few miles later they call us out to tow them home.

I'm not surprised, must be quite soul destroying!

It hadn't occured to me in the original posts that someone would grind the face of the caliper as per the picture posted by dhdev. I guess your job has removed the expectation of common sense ? lol

spanishfly
22-12-08, 11:06 PM
Well I've been told that the spring clip is needed, they then called me out to ask why they have to pump the pedal to stop... lmao

mowgli
23-12-08, 12:10 AM
on the mk3 astra they did a 236mm ate caliper that fitted with the nova gte sized vented disc. it stops quite well & you don't have the delco caliper problems with the sliders locking up & the pads jamming.

Adam
23-12-08, 05:03 PM
The spring clip is VERY needed. Its amazing how much difference that makes lol

And ive got very worn pads in my turbo calipers atm with fiat coupe discs. There fine, not spaced out or anything.

phazer
23-12-08, 05:13 PM
The spring clip is VERY needed. Its amazing how much difference that makes lol

Yeah, you wouldn't think it would make that much difference! I would imagine if left the caliper would shear the mounting bolts.

Leeboo
23-12-08, 06:33 PM
Just fit Corsa B brakes with good pads, I doubt theres much need for 2.0 brakes on a 1.2.

I've got corsa brakes with £8 budget pads, and they have taken a lot of beating, think I've only had brake fade once!! So good pads would be great!

bmw156
23-12-08, 06:36 PM
cheers for the ideas people i now have a wide selection of brakes available to me lol :)

John
23-12-08, 06:45 PM
tigras had 256 by 20mm discs, whereas most 256's are 24mm. I've heard that they fit fine under the 5j 3 spokes.

bmw156
23-12-08, 09:20 PM
that might be a place to look, big brakes small discs, will the fittings be the same?

Sloth
23-12-08, 10:35 PM
yep, same as corsa sport 1.6 ones. fit under 3 spokes. just.