PDA

View Full Version : Astra Mk3 Q&A

Mike
21-12-08, 11:56 AM
Before i start fannying about with the Astra changing top mounts, do Mk3's run a fubar Drop Link affair like Peugeot Partner Vans (Had an argument with some Pug suspension yesterday :mad: fecking nightmare!)

Or are the Mk3's basically the same as a Nova suspension setup on the front?

Benn
21-12-08, 12:02 PM
Not like the nova, the leg and hub are all one bit.
No drop links tho.(they start on a mk4)

Mike
21-12-08, 12:07 PM
Not like the nova, the leg and hub are all one bit.
No drop links tho.(they start on a mk4)

So when i remove the leg, the leg/hub/disc/caliper come with it :tard: meh, thats uber pap!

Im guessing there like EK Civic's, where you split the leg from hub assembly (im geussing they are TBH)

mowgli
21-12-08, 12:09 PM
the mk3 is similar in concept to the nova, ie front struts & a rear beam, but the front bottom arms are a pain in the bottom cos the vertical bushes need swapping very often, & the track adjustment is a right pain cos the bolts seize solid & need a combination of wd40 & heat with swearing to move them

Mike
21-12-08, 12:10 PM
Aahh, said vertical bush's could be making a very quite noise when on full right lock then.

mowgli
21-12-08, 12:14 PM
the strut bottom is part of the hub with a removeable inserted damper, it is held on with a lock nut that can cause trouble, but it is best removed in one piece & stuck on a bench to fix...

Mike
21-12-08, 12:17 PM
the strut bottom is part of the hub with a removeable inserted damper, it is held on with a lock nut that can cause trouble, but it is best removed in one piece & stuck on a bench to fix...

Same as the Pug van then :( altough the Pug van has drop links that attach to the strut :tard: and are renonwned for shearing lol

Right then, looks like tomorrow is gonna be loads of fun then :(

Nice one for the heads up chaps :D and about those vertical bush's Mr Mowgli, ive just took a look at some bottom arms on eBay an can what you mean with regards to "vertical bush".

mowgli
21-12-08, 12:30 PM
on each lower arm, there are 2 bushes, one is fixed with a horizontal bolt, and rarely knackers up, the other one is fixed with a vertical bolt, and is absolutely crap. & needs replacing by the old hammer & drift method. std & hd ones are available for only a few quid. it is the same bush on the cavalier.
if the tracing needs doing, then bang 2 bushes in. when I had a mk3, one went on a trip back from the southwest & it wrecked the front tyres in less tha 100miles

Benn
21-12-08, 12:33 PM
If you have a vice it will make lift easier, left off, spring off hold the big nut that holds the shock in in the vice, braker bar thru the cv hole and turn the leg, makes it alot easier.

Mike
21-12-08, 12:38 PM
Nice one chaps :D a job for tomorrow.

Just been looking at the bush's & lower arm's on the bay, for the price i think ill just replace them after christmas aswell. Change all the ARB bush's whilst im down there too. (Keep the missus sweet :D)

+Repz for you both :D

Adam
21-12-08, 12:43 PM
Mk3 astra front suspension is a nightmare!!!!!
None of this 4nut bollocks like on a nova lol

Got to remove the driveshaft pin, hub nut, bottom balljoint, track rod balljoint, brake caliper(or undo the fluid pipe) etc etc

I paid £17 for a lower arm on mine. And £7 for a anti roll bar link ball joint.

mowgli
21-12-08, 12:56 PM
I did once replace damper inserts on a mk1 astra with the struts still in place... I took the spring off, stuck the strut top back into the top bearing, undid the locknut & squished the damper & jiggled it out. it was a bit of a struggle but I reckon it was quicker than a full strut strip.

burgo
21-12-08, 03:31 PM
mike you dont need to remove the strut to replace the top mounts. i wouldnt anyway.

Adam
21-12-08, 03:37 PM
You will have to????
Unless you can somehow wiggle the top mount off the top of the strut and get it down between the strut and turret?

burgo
21-12-08, 03:49 PM
exactly. before jacking the car up you undo the top nut and top mount bolts. then jack the car up take the old one out and put the new one in. lower the car back down and do it all up. should only take 10 mins

Adam
21-12-08, 03:57 PM
Sounds tricky, but possible.

Mike
21-12-08, 04:37 PM
Sounds tricky, but possible.

Dangerous you mean lol

Adam
21-12-08, 04:39 PM
Mike
And dangerous?

Who would ever put those two together lol lol

Mike
21-12-08, 04:48 PM
Mike
And dangerous?

Who would ever put those two together lol lol

Well, there is that lol

Dod
21-12-08, 05:20 PM
The suspension is the same as the Mk3 Cav aside from the top mount and the Astras have a shorter thread on the top of the insert. All in all they are a ******* BOLLOX **** to work with.

Can you keep me posted on how you're gonna do the ARB bushes as I've been having nothing more than a nightmare with them.

burgo
21-12-08, 06:21 PM
Dangerous you mean lolits a hell of alot safer than spring clamps

Riggy
22-12-08, 11:01 AM
lol the drop links on my mk4 were a bitch when i lowered it lol , just be glad you dont have them haha

mowgli
22-12-08, 05:26 PM
I did once replace damper inserts on a mk1 astra with the struts still in place... I took the spring off, stuck the strut top back into the top bearing, undid the locknut & squished the damper & jiggled it out. it was a bit of a struggle but I reckon it was quicker than a full strut strip.

sorry to quote myself, but if I can take a damper insert out with the strut still on the car, then a strut top mount will be easy.......

Mike
22-12-08, 05:35 PM
Took a look at it today and where the shock goes into the hub assemblie, theres no clamp bolt, the shock is literally slotted into a circular hole. Only thing being, it really didnt/doesnt want to be un-slotted!!

So I just left it as im lazy and had to go to work.

But im owed a favour from a friend and hes kindly volounteered to replace both of them for £20.

ck
22-12-08, 06:51 PM
the shock and hub is one piece. the shock body is not removable from the hub. to get the bottom ball joint off you may have to undo the hub nut nd pop the drive shaft in abit to get enough clearance to get the nut off the ball joint.

as said above you dont need to remove the whole unit to replace a top mount.

i personally i think it is alot safer to do it this way as well as alot quicker. ive done it many times and will take 15/20mins tops

Dod
22-12-08, 08:33 PM
The Bottom ball joint has a nasty habbit of siezing into place and its a real nightmare to free. I got a Sissor Type Ball joint seperater on one once and it actually made ****e of the seperator and still wouldnt split. Its a Job I utterly HATE.

Benn
22-12-08, 08:37 PM
Remove the arb bush isnt a fun job if its broken then you'll most likely need to cut it off. Then clean the roll bar up, grease it then you shuold be able to slide the new one in to place (with a wiggle)
Its hard just morre annoying.

And the botom ball joint is riveted in to the lower arm.

Dod
22-12-08, 08:40 PM
Replacement BBJs are 15mm Bolted on but you can get fully bushed and ball jointed wishbones on Ebay for next to nothing. In fact replacement Ball jounts are less than a tenner, so done worry if you tare a boot.