PDA

View Full Version : found a 5th injector setup for my C20LET nova

Anonymous
28-11-02, 01:57 PM
I know you've seen the picture in my other thread, but here it is again cause its SO pretty looking

http://miniowners.com/vaux/c20let.jpg

Anyway, as you may have read in the other thread, ive been struggling a bit with mixture, it leans out badly when it comes on boost (even on the lower of the boost settings).

Well ive found a wicked little product for sorting this out now, an Aquamist ERL MF2, basically its a seperate little ECU that monitors Revs and/or Bosst and controls a fifth injector (usual bosch fitment so i can easily vary the size).

Have ordered one today and it should be with me next week sometime, so hopefully if i can find someone to lend me some workshop space (mine isnt going to be built until jan/feb) then i can get it fitted ASAP and go and REALLY kick some imprezza butt etc, although it does a pretty good job already TBH!

Only issue ive got now is how to actaully mount the 5th injector into the inlet, but hopefully that will not be too much of a hurdle.

Chip

Dave_Hay
28-11-02, 02:47 PM
never think of uprated fuel pump and injectors from say a saab turbo?

dunno the set up like but 5th injectors always sound real expensive to me lol

Anonymous
28-11-02, 03:37 PM
Cant do it that way, it runs FAR too lean off boost then.

Mine has the 16v ecu not the turbo one, cause the turbo one throws a wobbler at high boost, so you can only run them to about 12psi or so, the hybrid on mine will chuck in far more than that.

BUT cause the ecu is ignoring boost, it means it cant fuel for it, so this system gives me the best of both worlds.

Im not after stupid amounts of power, but this way, and with water injection, i should be knocking on the door of 280-300bhp i should think, what with the cams and headwork etc.

I could actaullly get far more than that with a boost related ignition retard module and a huge intercooler across the front if i wound the boost up further, but i cant see the point, its mentally quick now, so with the extra that the fifth injector and water injection are going to give me, combined with the increased reliability i will get from them, im going to be pretty happy with it.

Its only a run about till ive built my proper car (a mini) anyway, so im not too fussed about chasing every bhp on this one as its always going to be slow compared to the mini.

Chip

Austin_Nova16
28-11-02, 04:32 PM
so....how come you are running it on an XE ECU then?
Is it just what came with it... or....

Anonymous
28-11-02, 04:49 PM
The standard ecu throws a wobbler at high boost and sticks the engine light on cause it thinks that something is wrong, so thats why the previous owner swapped it over i guess.
Im not bothered though, with a 5th injector im confident i can get it running right everywhere, at the moment its utterly perfect at 6psi and below anyway..
Im only looking for 250bhp, so i am playing it very safe the engine and turbo are built to be good for 300+

Shamelessly copying and pasting this from the wallace site from the details of their 320bhp conversion
The Motronic ECU uses an internal pressure sensor for the closed loop boost control , the maximum working range for the Motronic is about 0.9 Bar!

So there is no way for the Motronic to realize a close loop boost control for more than 0.9 bar with the Motronic itself.

Chip

Austin_Nova16
28-11-02, 05:06 PM
Yep. Sounds Good.

A nice way of running more boost.....with a simple set-up.

I guess the easiest place to put the injector will be just before the butterfly, in a bit of piping..with the relavant mountings welded on.....which you could attach the aquamist on to aswell.

Cor this turbs malarky is quite inviting......hmm....... :idea:

Anonymous
28-11-02, 05:24 PM
Im probably going to do mroe or less exactly that, was going to get a 1" or so longer bit stailness of pipe where the samco hoses join each other near the front of the car and fit it in there.
(i know that being so far away means the fuel forming droplets a little but the effect is minimal so to me its preferable to drilling about with the throttle body housing etc)

Chip

Ste_Nova
29-11-02, 11:21 AM
6psi lmfao

barnes
01-12-02, 03:27 AM
oh chip deery, an xe ecu to overcome the boost levels when a unichip for about a hundred quid can sort this. its a bad idea to over ride the boost levels on the turbo motor anyway. ie your car running too lean = dead piston etc.

use the proper ecu. much better as the amal valve will atleast work properly. without the boost sensor the ecu (ie the xe ecu) eont be able to handle the extra fuelling caused by the huge amounts of air. the xe ecu will flip a lot more.

i have a hybrd turbo on my let, and tbh without the phase kit fitted, it didnt matter that it only boosted to about 12psi.

300bhp from a hybrid turbo and head work?????? roybacer has got to you to

Anonymous
01-12-02, 11:56 PM
Its not just a hyibrd and head work, it also has cams, vernier pulleys, lightened and balanced bottom end to rev hard and a hybrid turbo.

Im going to swap the ecu for a totally prgorammable one, i dont like the fact that the XE one doesnt see boost and hence cant knock back the ignition timing.

I bought it as an unfished project, so there ARE still things i have to take care of, its all in hand though.

Chip

barnes
02-12-02, 02:23 PM
the std turbo revs out about 5800k, the hybrid i have revs out about 7k do all the std stuff will be more than adequate to take that. you will struggle, unless you get a big mo-fo turbo to warrant all the parts to rev it to 8grand as it simply will struggle to rev that hard coz the turbo wont spin up that high, hybrid included. my limit is set at 7500 with phase 3 kit and hybrid turbo, in 3rd it would rev to just over 7k then it would loose its pull, still get to the 7500k but if i changed gear about 6500 ish it would be faster.

cams???/ best cam for em is the xe inlet one aint it. that gives a couple of bhp, unless youve got custom cam profile the verniers arent gonna do much for you as all cams that im aware of for the let use std timing marks, dont need 1000th out etc.

for 300bhp yer talkin the phase kits. you will also need a big intercooler to actually make that power as the std one wont run much over that 12psi due to shte plastic end caps blowing over and intercooler imploding etc.

ive researched a lot about the let, power gains etc and what products are worth the money. like the cossie there are a few things that cost money that arent actually worth it. head work for example will make marginal gains unlike with n/a cars its quite a good gain in power etc.

you know what im gettin at chip. any ideas you have, please email me them, barnesgsi@aol.com as id like to know what your gettin up to, lol

Anonymous
02-12-02, 04:01 PM
Vernier pulleys are FAR more accurate than trying to line up the standard teeth, they are never timed spot on.

My intercooler is standard and has no problem taking 15psi without imploding or anything, you are right that its not up the job though, thts why im goign to use water injection (havent got the space for a FMIC)

The spec of this motor is not what i personally would have done, and the money that has been spent in some instances i think is not needed, but at the end of the day its got everythign it needs now except for fuelling to run 15psi, and to run 20+ psi all i need is
reinforced intercooler
modify the ecu to run less ignition advance

Im VERY happy with running *Just* 15 psi though once i have it sorted, thats enough for an easy 250bhp, which is more than enough ina nova, im not going to go chasing every last bhp, as there is no point, this car is just a cheap runabout to make do with for a year or so, so im not going to throw money at it endlessly, id sooner save that for my proper cars.

Chip

the std turbo revs out about 5800k, the hybrid i have revs out about 7k do all the std stuff will be more than adequate to take that. you will struggle, unless you get a big mo-fo turbo to warrant all the parts to rev it to 8grand as it simply will struggle to rev that hard coz the turbo wont spin up that high, hybrid included. my limit is set at 7500 with phase 3 kit and hybrid turbo, in 3rd it would rev to just over 7k then it would loose its pull, still get to the 7500k but if i changed gear about 6500 ish it would be faster.

cams???/ best cam for em is the xe inlet one aint it. that gives a couple of bhp, unless youve got custom cam profile the verniers arent gonna do much for you as all cams that im aware of for the let use std timing marks, dont need 1000th out etc.

for 300bhp yer talkin the phase kits. you will also need a big intercooler to actually make that power as the std one wont run much over that 12psi due to shte plastic end caps blowing over and intercooler imploding etc.

ive researched a lot about the let, power gains etc and what products are worth the money. like the cossie there are a few things that cost money that arent actually worth it. head work for example will make marginal gains unlike with n/a cars its quite a good gain in power etc.

you know what im gettin at chip. any ideas you have, please email me them, barnesgsi@aol.com as id like to know what your gettin up to, lol

barnes
02-12-02, 04:08 PM
water injection wont help you run 20psi as the water injection kit wont stop the std intercooler goin pop.

there is space for a fmic if you have a gsi front bumper, or chargecooler, probably the easiest way as these can handle up to around 25-30psi happily

Ste_Nova
02-12-02, 04:57 PM
http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/mig/uploaded5/wm_Engine.jpg
How an LET nova engine bay should be

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/mig/uploaded5/wm_front.jpg
Evo Intercooler

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/mig/uploaded5/wm_side.jpg
hmmmm :roll:

Anonymous
02-12-02, 04:58 PM
Barnes, if you arent going to bother to read what i post there is no point in us discussing further.

I said

and to run 20+ psi all i need is
reinforced intercooler
modify the ecu to run less ignition advance

And then you reply by rattling on about the standard intercooler not taking 20psi, i KNOW that, thats why i just said it would not be up to the job in the first place!

I am consiering a charge cooler, but they are a big of a mess solution, id like a FMIC but only if i can do it without changing the looks and im not sure that is possible couldnt be more than an inch thick if i wanted it behind the grill, and that would be unable to flow the amount of charge i will have.

So like i said, ill probably just stick to 15psi, which is nice and safe and still more than quick enough for a daily runabout, its not like many novas are ever really going to compete with the mini i am building, so no point me throwing money at it and wasting my time trying.

Chip

Anonymous
02-12-02, 05:02 PM
That white nova is utterly disgusting, Im after a subtle clean look not some utterly disgusting wide mouth kit that looks like its from a council estate.

Chip

barnes
02-12-02, 05:04 PM
lol, chip, the bit about the intercooler is probably the only bit i read that never registrered in my head, lol.

sorry chip, was only trying to help

dan16v
02-12-02, 05:08 PM
that cab is sweet is that robs ste? was it at trax? only thing tho i neva liked the twin head lamp style but still that car is mint and done properly

Anonymous
02-12-02, 05:08 PM
Okay Barnes, no worries mate, not worth falling out over.
I probably took it more personal that i should have anyway!

Im deffo on the look out for an intercooler that i can fit in, id love to run 20psi if i can, as the engine is built to take it but like i said, im not after spending too much cahs on this one and i certianly dont want it to look like that white abortion in the pictures!

Chip

Ste_Nova
02-12-02, 05:37 PM
it's not a kit it's a cut out gsi bumper.... an even bigger intercooler is being fitted soon..... if you want to run big power you need the temp 10deg above outside.... what temp does urs run at chip?

barnes
02-12-02, 05:41 PM
i kinda like the nova cab, think its quite cool

Anonymous
02-12-02, 06:00 PM
Havent had chance to get an air temp guage on it yet, so dont know what temp its running, one thing i do know though is that its not getting enough cooling and id love to run an intercooler like yours, but i cant fit one without it looking like that, and i want it standard looking for the surprice element, hence the decision to go for the water injection instead.

Chip