PDA

View Full Version : track car.

Rickyb
20-12-08, 12:20 AM
hi all just woundering if there is any specific rules to building a track car because i fancy ago next year but ive not got to much info on it lol.
also does anyone know of any good (ish) tracks around lancashire ish area.
thanx in advance ricky.

Stoo
20-12-08, 12:28 AM
lancashire wise

Oulton park
3 Sisters (designed by a very old, now deceased, good friend of mine!)

Track car wise

Usual applies really
as lightweight as possible (according to colin chapman, if its not breaking when used, its not had enough weight removed from it!)

and obviously, usual again, handling is key!
Ive seen many a 3/400bhp heavyweight outhandled by a 1-150bhp featherweight!

So, good suspension/brakes/geometry/tyres etc etc

Welsh Dan
20-12-08, 12:34 AM
Get yourself a solid shell, a decent rollcage, pair of seats, harnesses and helmets. Everything else is optional.

Rickyb
20-12-08, 12:37 AM
well thats a start cheers gents.

The Simps
20-12-08, 11:45 AM
Just take a look in the projects section, plenty of track going nova's being built.

As said above tho, buy a car, gut it, bolt in seats & cage and go from there. Depending on budget the car can become anything.

Adam
20-12-08, 12:17 PM
A good cheap track car is imo

XE
Decent shell(caged and welded), strip all excess weight as it costs nothing.
Good suspension setup
Buckets/harnesses
256 brakes with decent pads
15s with good tyres

The Simps
20-12-08, 01:07 PM
256s aren't good enough for trackday use in my experience. They brake fade like fook!

A good cheap track car is imo

XE
Decent shell(caged and welded), strip all excess weight as it costs nothing.
Good suspension setup
Buckets/harnesses
256 brakes with decent pads
15s with good tyres

Adam
20-12-08, 01:13 PM
Maybe down to disc/pad choice?
With some M1144/1155 pads, they "should" be ok

Dar
20-12-08, 03:08 PM
Maybe down to disc/pad choice?
With some M1144/1155 pads, they "should" be ok
I agree. I also agree that if you don't upgrade the pads you will either get brake fade or you will (like happened to mine) make the pad suddenly fall apart giving you zero braking.

Matt Pickering
20-12-08, 03:27 PM
after looking at the donny report's i quite fancy doing some track days/events next year.....

are kill switches required?? or any other specific safety features?

Matt..

Adam
20-12-08, 03:44 PM
Nope, none.
They dont check your car or anything........

Jonlem
20-12-08, 04:07 PM
after looking at the donny report's i quite fancy doing some track days/events next year.....

are kill switches required?? or any other specific safety features?

Matt..

No they are not, and is that John Shields old car in your avatar ?

Loved that car back in the day :thumb:

Dan
20-12-08, 04:25 PM
A trackday is a fun day out, you drive there, blat your car around and enjoy yourself. NO rule applies to cars, you can take a standard 1.0 if you so wish.

My personal advice would be to just go along and do one, if you enjoy it (its not for everyone) then maybe look into building something abit more orientated towards that purpose and get advice on what simple things make a decent difference. Obviously once you start doing this its a slippery slope as your driving evolves and you learn more/push the car more and you continue taking the car to new levels in design. My first car was very basic, once i had a taste for it i built a complete new car, then i built another etc etc

Simps i think the brake thing is quite varied depending on your disc and pad choices. I personally run 256's with a tarox disc and pad setup and never had brake fade so that is in direct contrast to your own experiences:confused: That could be down to what i chose for me setup or the fact i may be abit more gentle on the brakes and tend to go into the bend and use the diff/left foot balance etc to bring the car back out in a almost reasonable shape. I wouldnt just say they are crap if i had similar issues, but i would advise people that they werent perfect for my application :thumb:

Dar
20-12-08, 04:33 PM
In a nutshell, if it has an MOT or will pass an MOT then you can put it on track. Trackdays are not a competitive sport, they are (as Dan pointed out) just a bit of fun.

It's amazing how many people forget that.

The Simps
20-12-08, 05:20 PM
Simps i think the brake thing is quite varied depending on your disc and pad choices. I personally run 256's with a tarox disc and pad setup and never had brake fade so that is in direct contrast to your own experiences:confused: That could be down to what i chose for me setup or the fact i may be abit more gentle on the brakes and tend to go into the bend and use the diff/left foot balance etc to bring the car back out in a almost reasonable shape. I wouldnt just say they are crap if i had similar issues, but i would advise people that they werent perfect for my application :thumb:

I completely understand what you are saying.

I tried several combinations over the years and what I found worked best was decent spec pads and cheap motor factor discs. When the discs warped I swapped them out. This way worked out a lot cheaper than expensive discs etc. Buying 4 pots was the best move I ever made tho. 256s on a 280bhp/300lbft turbo nova was just scary! :eek:

Jonlem
20-12-08, 05:22 PM
A good 256 setup works really well on a xe nova, I'll agree its no where near adequate to stop a 280hp one though as they just put the speed on so much faster.

Dar's right too, trackdays are fun, you can take anything and enjoy yourself as we did with that piece of crap that is a Tigra LOL

Matt Pickering
20-12-08, 05:51 PM
No they are not, and is that John Shields old car in your avatar ?

Loved that car back in the day :thumb:

No, at least i dont think it was john's - J526 OVT was the reg

Matt..

Jonlem
20-12-08, 06:15 PM
Maybe I'm gettign his name confused with another car, does it have Caly leather in it ?

Link to any pics of it ?

mayhem
20-12-08, 06:17 PM
best brake combo i had was 256 brembo max disks and ferodo ds2500 pads.

Rexy
20-12-08, 06:22 PM
buy a clio williams :D

PMSL... I want to turn this into Nova/cliowilliamsload.net :D

Oh and In my opinion you can do as much or as little to build a track car as you like... the most important aspect is the brake pads, and the tyres.

Have funn :D

Jonlem
20-12-08, 06:33 PM
Cheap trackcars rule, personally I'd have a Clio over a Tigra anyday although they both spin the same lol ;)

Rexy
20-12-08, 06:49 PM
they are like ballet dancers :D

smcgsi16v
20-12-08, 08:33 PM
If in the end you do decide on building/running a car on a lot of trackdays a good purchase is a helmet.
I think alot of people forget this, and it saves you shed loads of money on hiring one.

Matt Pickering
20-12-08, 08:39 PM
any chance of some pics of the inside's of track cars? Just to see how far you've gone on weight saving etc

Thanks

Matt...

Rickyb
20-12-08, 08:42 PM
loads of good advice there thanx people i think i will go and have a nosie before i try it is there like different classes for like 1.6s and 2.0ltrs or are thay all thrown in together?

If in the end you do decide on building/running a car on a lot of trackdays a good purchase is a helmet.
I think alot of people forget this, and it saves you shed loads of money on hiring one.

can you use any helmet like a bike one or does it have to be like a stig one lol?

Rexy
20-12-08, 10:15 PM
you can use any helmet to be honest mate, but car/karting differ from motorbike helmets... apparently they have different strenght points which would make sense to be honest.

Im using a bike helmet and my bird has an open face OMP jobbie :D

Come down to Oulton park in feb if you want big fella, I'll take you for a passenger ride if, Spend more learning to drive rather than throwing the money in on trying to get big power :) get a couple of novice days done as they use brakeing cones and show you the apex etc and best lines. get some tuition as well again learning how to drive the track and you will show some more powerful cars up :D

nathan.
20-12-08, 10:23 PM
any chance of some pics of the inside's of track cars? Just to see how far you've gone on weight saving etc

Thanks

Matt...

Look at Oli's (DhDEV) build thread for ideas. his beast only weighs 640kg.

Rickyb
20-12-08, 10:44 PM
you can use any helmet to be honest mate, but car/karting differ from motorbike helmets... apparently they have different strenght points which would make sense to be honest.

Im using a bike helmet and my bird has an open face OMP jobbie :D

Come down to Oulton park in feb if you want big fella, I'll take you for a passenger ride if, Spend more learning to drive rather than throwing the money in on trying to get big power :) get a couple of novice days done as they use brakeing cones and show you the apex etc and best lines. get some tuition as well again learning how to drive the track and you will show some more powerful cars up :D

what date in feb buddy i will be there as long as its not the 20th lol (missus's birthday).
aye a passenger ride would be good mate amd im unsure what engine or power i would want i would probably start witha standard 1600 or somthink.
and thanx for all the advice people.

Ernie
20-12-08, 11:39 PM

Thanks

Matt...

Mine as of last night.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/JDL%20Project/novacage1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/JDL%20Project/novacage4.jpg
Very early stages of a new track car.
Nothing wrong with the old one i just fancyed a new one like Dan said.
It becomes a habit that is hard to get out of.

Ste L
21-12-08, 10:54 AM
Come down to Oulton park in feb if you want big fella, I'll take you for a passenger ride

Gaz, i'll pop up oulton for a passenger ride fella, not experiance your track driving, just you lunatic road driving lol

Rickyb
21-12-08, 04:49 PM
Gaz, i'll pop up oulton for a passenger ride fella, not experiance your track driving, just you lunatic road driving lol

you get in line. lol

Ste L
21-12-08, 05:05 PM
you get in line. lol

shhh ..... :p

Rexy
21-12-08, 05:17 PM
PMSL, you'd both better lose some weight, cas by feb i will have bought a paid of cobra suzuka's In skinny size pmsl. :P

Ste L
21-12-08, 05:33 PM
PMSL, you'd both better lose some weight, cas by feb i will have bought a paid of cobra suzuka's In skinny size pmsl. :P

i fit in the normal ones, i tried them at tweeks a few weeks back :thumb:

mrs Rexy
22-12-08, 11:55 PM
Ha ha Yeah get in line...cos im at the front :P

Rickyb
23-12-08, 12:12 AM
ok i will let you go first lol