PDA

View Full Version : C20XE problem

VXandy
19-12-08, 06:00 PM
I have an XE nova and it wont rev at all, it idles but cuts out when you try to rev it, however it revs if you block the air induction pipe so would this be an air flow meter fault?

John
19-12-08, 06:10 PM
eh?, it runs if you block the induction pipe off?

Christ
19-12-08, 06:10 PM
what hapens if you unplug the afm?

VXandy
19-12-08, 06:48 PM
errrm not tried that, but yeah it revs if you squeeze it together

Will F
19-12-08, 07:01 PM
ICV plugged in correctly?

Has it been OK up until now?

VXandy
19-12-08, 07:15 PM
not its been like that since the conversion was done the engine has also had a rebuild

VXandy
20-12-08, 01:16 AM
sorry if you take the induction pipe off and block the air flow meter with your hand it revs up fine, so could this be a faulty AFM maybe pushing in to much air?

meritlover
20-12-08, 01:29 AM
sounds like there is very little fuel pressure and the engine is running very lean.

VXandy
20-12-08, 01:38 AM
sounds like there is very little fuel pressure and the engine is running very lean.

Any ideas what to do then bud?

meritlover
20-12-08, 03:09 AM
if it is indeed running lean, measure the fuel pressure to check the pump is working and there is enough fuel in the tank.
could still be a bad AFM

white2lSR
20-12-08, 09:20 AM
so could this be a faulty AFM maybe pushing in to much air?

classic lol AFM Turbo

VXandy
20-12-08, 09:31 AM
Well i've ordered an AFM because it does sound like it is that, it was only £25 inc postage so i'll see how i get on when it gets here!

VXandy
20-12-08, 09:33 AM
classic lol AFM Turbo

So do you think its that too bud?

Lee
20-12-08, 09:33 AM
Any EML?

VXandy
20-12-08, 09:37 AM
no there's no eml, i need to wire in the diagnostic plug really but i thought somebody may have come across this fault before

VXandy
20-12-08, 12:43 PM
Anyone . . . i need help?!?!?!?!

white2lSR
20-12-08, 02:07 PM
Wire in an EML, it will be quicker than fitting the diagnostic plug and will be usefull in the future.

Adam
20-12-08, 02:17 PM
What fuel pump are you using?

VXandy
20-12-08, 03:38 PM
im not 100% sure bud but it was replaced by the last owner i now have 2 lol

VXandy
20-12-08, 03:38 PM
if it was the fuel pump though it wouldn't start would it?

Adam
20-12-08, 03:44 PM
If you were using a spi pump it may well start, and probably run badly because of a lack of fuel......

VXandy
20-12-08, 03:50 PM
No, it has run before now it just happened a couple of weeks ago, thats why i suspect the AFM, if you cover it with your hand it revs fine and runs fine

Jonlem
20-12-08, 03:53 PM
Disconnect the AFM

Is it a coilpack or dizzy engine ?

Coilpack engine will run fine without a afm as it uses lambda vs tps to run where as the dizzy engines don't and they can vause all sorts of troubles.

Both will rev up with it disconnected though

Check the codes, ignore the cps fault if you test it non running as it expects to see a signal when you run a diagnostics.

Diagnostic test will take you 20 mins to do, even if you haven't wired any of it in yet.

Have you got the ecu light wired in ? if not go and do it now then put the brown/yellow on the ecu loom to ground and see what codes it flashes out.

Use www.topbuzz.co.uk (http://www.topbuzz.co.uk) for the ecu fault codes

meritlover
20-12-08, 07:16 PM
have you actually checked the fuel pressure?

theres no point in continuing to ask for suggestions if nothing already mentioned has checked?!?
we cant fix it for you

Jonlem
20-12-08, 07:30 PM
Does an spi even have a return feed though ?

If it doesn't, and he didn't have to fit a return pipe to the tank then that "should" rule that out

I agree though, proper tests should be carried out

VXandy
20-12-08, 08:17 PM
i've checked the fuel pressure on the injection rail and it absolutely flies out

VXandy
20-12-08, 08:18 PM
LOL if only you could fix it for me :D

Jonlem
20-12-08, 08:19 PM
Where in the country are you ?

VXandy
20-12-08, 08:34 PM
Im in wigan mate

philthepill_389
21-12-08, 04:15 PM
i sold him the van
fueling is fine it has a injection tank fitted with internal mpi pump fuel pressure is Strong at the rail engine runs sweet no misfiring it just wont let you rev it no knowing air leaks but if you restrict air flow the engine revs fine un restrict the air flow then try and rev it bogs as sucking to much air and dies i recommend AFM as its the only thing i could think off i hadn't changed and other people have suggested this so try it

VXandy
21-12-08, 04:16 PM
i sold him the van
fueling is fine it has a injection tank fitted with internal mpi pump fuel pressure is Strong at the rail engine runs sweet no misfiring it just wont let you rev it no knowing air leaks but if you restrict air flow the engine revs fine un restrict the air flow then try and rev it bogs as sucking to much air and dies i recommend AFM as its the only thing i could think off i hadn't changed and other people have suggested this so try it

Cheers phil:thumb:

Its ordered!!!

John
21-12-08, 04:17 PM
LOL if only you could fix it for me :D

Lol! you're supposed to be an apprentice vauxhall techy aren't you!

VXandy
21-12-08, 04:21 PM
No, im fully qualified, but unfortunately throughout my training and my experience i have never come across a redtop dizzy engine nevermind a conversion!

Adam
21-12-08, 04:23 PM
Backs up a point i made about a month back.

Do you have another afm mate? I have a xe dizzy afm somewhere

VXandy
21-12-08, 04:46 PM
Backs up a point i made about a month back.

Do you have another afm mate? I have a xe dizzy afm somewhere

What point was that bud? I've just ordered one for £25 posted, but thanks anyway bud, do you think its that too?

John
21-12-08, 04:57 PM
No, im fully qualified, but unfortunately throughout my training and my experience i have never come across a redtop dizzy engine nevermind a conversion!

Surely a fully qualified vx teccy should be able to find his way around an xe! Thery're soooo simple!

VXandy
21-12-08, 05:01 PM
I merely posted a thread to ask if it was the afm and to ask if previous people who had done this conversion had also come across this fault, if your not going to help then dont make a post to the thread

philthepill_389
21-12-08, 05:09 PM
i would put money on AFM as there is nothing els to change i have replace with new parts the TB to SFi box seal and SFi box rubber to AFM theres no air leaks from the inlet gasket or breather so all i could put it down to was AFM not registering right amount of air causing it to bog Andy try that first mate along with other things on list i give you then happy motoring

VXandy
21-12-08, 05:16 PM
i would put money on AFM as there is nothing els to change i have replace with new parts the TB to SFi box seal and SFi box rubber to AFM theres no air leaks from the inlet gasket or breather so all i could put it down to was AFM not registering right amount of air causing it to bog Andy try that first mate along with other things on list i give you then happy motoring

Not to worry bud, i'll be racing your VXR before you no it!!! ;)