PDA

View Full Version : Goodridge braided brake hoses

Leeboo
18-12-08, 11:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on Goodridge braided brake hoses.A set for around 45 quid, does this contain 2 front hoses, and 2 rear hoses? Or just fronts?Where is cheapest to buy them online?Most importantly, has anyone experienced any advantages over standard stuff? Or are they basically just heavier duty and longer lasting?Cheers

Leeboo
18-12-08, 11:05 PM
Sorry, I had my post spaced out accordingly but for some reason its all bunched up!

Welsh Dan
18-12-08, 11:13 PM
I bought a set from tweeks and it had all 4 hoses in it. Basically they flex less when you press the pedal so the pedal should feel slightly firmer, but their pain feature is that the braiding protects them from debris etc.. for rallying or coming off a track into the gravel trap.

Leeboo
18-12-08, 11:17 PM
Cheers Dan, that was one of the kits at 40-50 quid yeah?They would be nice to spec up the brakes on a road car too, thats what I intend them for. I'd imagine they last longer than rubber flexis too.

Welsh Dan
18-12-08, 11:21 PM
It cost me around £65, but thats because I paid tweeks prices lol. They should last a bit longer, but remember that they're not exactly easy to inspect for signs of rubber decay.

Leeboo
18-12-08, 11:28 PM
I was just looking on Demon Tweeks there and didn't realise how expensive they are compared to ebay!Yeah thats a good point. Ah well thanks for the info anyways.

ck
19-12-08, 05:32 AM
www.rallydesign.co.uk is prob cheapest. bushes and strut braces handy little things like that are very well priced too

Leeboo
19-12-08, 01:38 PM
Are those 'polyrace' bushes for Novas any good? ^^ from rally design. Anyone used them?

It would only cost about 40 or 50 quid to polybush your tie bar mounts, TCAs and rear beam! Going on those prices.

7ova
19-12-08, 01:46 PM
i got full set bushes and brake hoses from rallydesign
havent fitted them yet (still rebuilding the gsi)
but they look spot on
very good price, service and quick delivery :thumb:

Leeboo
19-12-08, 02:20 PM
To Lee

Merry Christmas

From Lee

xx

Thanks 7ova, I'm going to purchase the same stuff as you have, just need to find out postage costs to NI.

Jack
19-12-08, 02:41 PM
www.rallydesign.co.uk is prob cheapest
Yep, cheapest place to get them from. Think they were £39 when I bought them, but that was a couple years back.

Are those 'polyrace' bushes for Novas any good? ^^ from rally design. Anyone used them?
I have polybushes from rally design, although I think mine are the road ones, not the race ones (they do two types if I remember rightly). Good price and great fit.

Leeboo
19-12-08, 03:21 PM
Cheers guys its good to get some feedback before I buy anything.

Well Razorjack, I've been working it out,

2 rear beam bushes, 2 TCA bushes, and 2 Tie rod bushes, (Polyrace versions) £41.38 inc vat.

And then I'm getting some braided hoses aswell (£35.42 inc vat - demon tweeks were about £57 inc vat :eek: ).

So £76.80 for Good ridge brake kit and polybushes, then P&P, good price me thinks.

Cheers.

craig green
19-12-08, 03:26 PM
Good price, though I find Goodridge hoses are not as nice as some. The ends arent reuseable & the braid looks thin compared to some.

I have Polyflex bushes (as opposed to race), they are fine. Good prices all round though.

Nova_Tek
19-12-08, 03:30 PM
I was gona go for the braided hoses but them realised that I recently had all brakepipes changed and hoses too and the garage fitted ATE hoses by the looks of it.

Another thing to consider with braided lines are that if you are changing a caliper you cant crimp them to stop fluid leaking.

www.rallydesign.co.uk (http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/) FTW some good prices

craig green
19-12-08, 03:35 PM
Another thing to consider with braided lines are that if you are changing a caliper you cant crimp them to stop fluid leaking.

Only something I'd do to someone elses car personally. :roll:

Adam
19-12-08, 04:19 PM
My goodridges have been fine, got them new for about £45 off ebay

auzzy-b
19-12-08, 05:07 PM
i'm getting some made up from hps.. you can have ptfe braided hose (which can with stand 15bar/120psi pressure) for just £5 per metre, but i do work for a company they supply too so they kinda doing me a favour plus i get the fittings supplied and fitted for free:D just need to get of my ass an give them my old ones to copy.
also gunna do my fuel lines :thumb:

Adam
19-12-08, 05:16 PM
Withstand 120psi pressure? Dont drive behind my car then....

I assure you brake line pressures are much much much higher than that.

auzzy-b
19-12-08, 05:22 PM
Brake lines are only really low pressure(the weight of a foot basically).. Its ya Fuel lines that are really high pressure, a pump for a 2ltr injection would roughly pulse at 8bar at its peak. So with 15bar hosing you have absolutley nothing to worry bout;)

Adam
19-12-08, 05:26 PM
The weight of a foot?

But the servo/mc multiply that, and fluid is then forced down thin as fook pipes...........
lol

Theres a reason why copper brake line has a 180bar(many many thousand psi) pressure range....

MC
19-12-08, 05:31 PM
I think you'll find that adam is correct. I would expect brake line pressure to be more like 2000psi, 3000psi under extreme conditions. I beleive that top quality braded hoses will have a bursting pressure of around 12000psi.

Adam
19-12-08, 05:37 PM
So as said, dont drive behind me and go hard on the brakes...... lol

Leeboo
19-12-08, 05:48 PM
Cheers cg, adam and nova tek. And whoever else.

Nova tek, I never crimped my hoses when I changed to corsa calipers on the other nova, just do it quickly and bleed them. Cheers.

auzzy-b
19-12-08, 05:54 PM
hey i just realised i put 120psi oooops? 180 bar!!? dont forget a car tyre when inflated holds 2-3 bar of pressure keep adding to that in 8mm copper pipe with the small amount of wall thickness they do have and it'll probably expand,bukle,twist or even blow uplol . "brakes dont actually stop the car,tyres do brakes just reduce the rotation of the wheel through friction" thats what i read anywho;)

Adam
19-12-08, 05:59 PM
Most copper brake line can withstand about 3000psi.....

yes a car tyre holds 2-3bar(30-40psi), but it has a different volume. Pressure and volume are different things.....

auzzy-b
19-12-08, 06:10 PM
well an injection fuel pump runs at 8bar max,usually pumps at 5 which is not constantly pumped into the engine? so your saying theres more pressure in a brake line thats not used half as much?? to be honest this is just what hps told me who are experts in hydraulics, i was shocked to hear it:confused:

Adam
19-12-08, 06:15 PM
When you press the brake pedal, its forcing fluid down like 2mm wide lines, the thin line is what causes the huge pressures......
As pressure is a restriction to flow, so a thin pipe is a big restriction.
Think of it like trying to blow down a straw off a wd40 can, and then blowing down a mcdonalds straw lol

Without big pressure the brakes would hardly work

7ova
19-12-08, 09:02 PM
To Lee

Merry Christmas

From Lee

xx

Thanks 7ova, I'm going to purchase the same stuff as you have, just need to find out postage costs to NI.

no problem mate :thumb:

auzzy-b
19-12-08, 10:10 PM
Well...i spose to them it is low pressure because they deal with much bigger more serious things!! so could of misunderstood that part,but im sure the'll know what will work best;) now leave me alone.i will not be the victim!!!lol