PDA

View Full Version : How far can you drive with no MOT

Fridge
18-12-08, 10:12 PM
As above, but i'm not planning on making it a habit.
You can drive to an MOT station without MOT, we all know this, but how far is taking the piss? I'm looking at cornwall to london.....

I KNOW, I KNOW, thats pushing it, but still, i don't have a trailer.
(NB: havn't brought anything yet so i'm not commited to it)

Thoughts please:thumb:

AlexW
18-12-08, 10:15 PM
I dont think there is a set limit, as long as you can prove which MOT station your going to and that its booked, but im sure they will think its taking the piss, and im sure ive read that it has to be the nearest? :confused:

Stuart
18-12-08, 10:15 PM
aslong as its booked in for that day then you will be "fine"

Tidy Max
18-12-08, 10:17 PM
i thought they had scrapped that law and you had to get it tested fixed before it runs out

Fridge
18-12-08, 10:28 PM
Are any of the forum coppers?
Or even lawyers?

It might be too much of a pain in the **** because as soon as i get near london it would get pulled. I used to get pulled all the time on a GSXR which they were convinced was uninsured (It was all legal) but it was just a mistake on their database. Don't they have automatic number plate readers now?

Welsh Dan
18-12-08, 10:40 PM
ANPR (automatic number plate reader) stuff is everywhere now. Personally I wouldn't risk it. No point buying a car to have it crushed before you get it home.

Asa-James
18-12-08, 11:31 PM
all four cars in our household are MOT'd at my uncles garage in Blackpool, as we know he wouldnt mess us around, and trust him if anything major needs doing all at a fair price (pair of rear arches, fitted and painted for less that £100 iirc, his mate owns a bodyshop...) anyways, its a 120 mile round trip, taken many a time in freshly bought but not tested cars.

and before anybody accuses anybody of dodgy tests, its all legit

robertdevlin69
18-12-08, 11:32 PM
jesus yous lads have it harsh in GB,i drove for a year without NCT(MOT)and six months without tax and nothing was said must have gone threw at least five checkpoints in that time

FUSION X16XE
19-12-08, 12:08 AM
The ANPR cameras dont have info about MOT's tho does it?

Welsh Dan
19-12-08, 12:19 AM
Yes it does, tax, MOT, owner/keeper and insurance details.

burgo
19-12-08, 12:44 AM
theres no set limit but you have to be driving to an MOT station

brainsnova
19-12-08, 12:53 AM
it does have to be insured and i think you can still be liable if there are defects to the vehicle eg. lights out or bad brakes etc.

Pistol Pete
19-12-08, 12:56 AM
lol just pay up get it MOT'd and drive where you like. Why risk it foir the sake of £50. It will cost you more in fuel to get from cornwall to london lol

Fridge
19-12-08, 01:01 AM
I can't pay and get it done in cornwall because as soon as it FAILS the MOT then it can't be on the road and seeing as it's been sat for 12 months, it may actually fail, i don't know!
If i book it for an MOT over the road from me (In london) then at least i could get it back and if it fails then i have my own space to work on it.

To get it brought back on a trailer would be about £150-£200 and the car isn't worth very much!

Edit: That sounded like i was having a rant, i wasnt! :D

burgo
19-12-08, 01:05 AM
Get It Booked In And Get A Receipt When You Buy It With Time And Date> That Way You Can Prove You Have Just Bought It And Are Taking It To Have Its Mot

brainsnova
you can drive a failed vehicle home from the m.o.t place or im i wrong.

Fridge
I recon that'll do it you know..

We need an MOT tester here.

burgo
19-12-08, 01:08 AM
My Brother Is A Mot Tester And Brains Your Wrong

brainsnova
19-12-08, 01:09 AM

:( :( :( :cry:

Fridge
19-12-08, 01:34 AM
Brains, man the feck up! We'll have non of that on my thread.

There is no completley sure way of to find out without doing it. I know it's leagal to drive if it's booked, and it's illegal to drive if it failed, so it'd have to be booked some where in london and driven back.
If i got stopped on the way it'd then be up to the copper at the time, weather he lets me continue or not. i.e. does he think i'm takin the piss/is he having a bad day/does he hate me/etc

So maybe...... i just won't bother.

brainsnova
19-12-08, 01:36 AM
there is sound cops and nooby cops and pmt wifey cops and they are the killers lol

Asa-James
19-12-08, 08:27 AM
so long as its going to an MOT station and its insured, i'd say you'll be alright.

Jack
19-12-08, 02:08 PM
Really? So if it fails, you're supposed to just leave it at the garage (assuming MOT expired)? :wtf:

Benn
19-12-08, 02:12 PM
Just dont take the piss and you'll be ok, Driving from london to liverpool for an mot.. The flith wont like it and bust you for it.

Copers
19-12-08, 02:19 PM
i'm assuming its a nova, you'll most probably get pulled over, i got pulled over twice in one night due to it just bein a nova, not worth the risk tbh

burgo
19-12-08, 02:31 PM
Really? So if it fails, you're supposed to just leave it at the garage (assuming MOT expired)? :wtf: yep you are supposed to leave it with the garage to carry out the repairs and then retest or you have to trailer it away. hence why most places give a free retest if it stays with them

Breeny
19-12-08, 03:39 PM
You can drive it home if it fails too.

Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 states :-

Schedule 2 - Exempt vehicles

22. - (1) A vehicle is an exempt vehicle [from VED] when it is being used solely for the purpose of;

(a) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a compulsory test, a vehicle identity check, a vehicle weight test or a reduced pollution test, or

(b) bringing it away from any such test or check.

Jack
19-12-08, 03:42 PM
Thats tax though, not MOT - or does it apply for both?

burgo
19-12-08, 05:45 PM
just spoke to my brother and it is illegal to drive it away from the MOT station without a valid MOT. the reason you can drive a car to and from the MOT without tax is for when it passes

Mike
19-12-08, 07:36 PM
I managed a mamoth 6months or so without getting tugged for it.

ben lee
19-12-08, 08:29 PM
your covered to drive to and from a book mot station and also a garage its getting repaired at.

but the police still have the power to issue a prohabition notice if in there oppionion it is unsafe/dangerous to drive.

if you get cought driveing without a valid mot you can get a 60 pound fixed penalty notice and made to get it moted if the copper checks it and find no faults if he dose find a fault and its unsafe he can issue a prohabition notice so the car canot be drivin.