PDA

View Full Version : help help help :-|

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 06:27 PM
Left work car was fine.

Got half way home and noticed the battery light had come on... Sh%t :(
I then noticed the rev counter/no gauges worked bar the speedo (cable driven), the indicators didnt work either on way home. The rev gauge did work occasionally but gave a duff reading.

Got it home fine, no problems other than what I said.

Parked up and pressed my fob to lock the car and it gave a real half hearted attempted at the siren chirps. Now it does not work (had to go in the boot to open the car).

The car starts up fine, headlights come on, not dimmed in any way.

I've checked all the fuses, even ones that I can find assosiated with the alarm. They all seem fine.

I now have a car I cant get into easily and its messing with me. IDEAS???

Whats wrong with it.... :mad:

Pete

Asa-James
18-12-08, 06:29 PM
i'd say its got to be an earth somwhere,
othedr than that i'm useless

AlexW
18-12-08, 06:33 PM
Earth as above IMO.

Jack
18-12-08, 06:35 PM
Another vote for earth. Also measure the voltage across the battery

Lee
18-12-08, 06:36 PM
Just to be an ass i bet its the earth behind the dash as well, seeing as your lights aren't affected.

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 06:40 PM
Just to be an ass i bet its the earth behind the dash as well, seeing as your lights aren't affected.

But why would the alarm not work? Central locking works...
Not petrol gauge either :(
Battery light comes on when u start, gets brighter when u press the brake pedal.

Where would I find the earths?

It's really annoying because, as i've said before, i'm about as technical as a brush, so not great lol. I'm ok when i've done something before.

Mike
18-12-08, 06:41 PM
Alternator belt still intact?

Lee
18-12-08, 06:42 PM

I doubt its that as the lights are fine.

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 06:47 PM

Yep, spinning fine with no slipping.

Cant see the connections on the alternator as there is too much 2L in the way

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 06:51 PM
where are the earths behind the dash tho?

Any other major ones?

Would the earth stop the alarm working?

Lee
18-12-08, 07:07 PM
Theres an earth at the back, an earth at the front, and an earth in the middle under the dash, (behind the stereo point if its a MK1, behind the vents on a MK2). They are all technically connected but being old and decrepid, most looms will be affected if any of these attachments break down, and symptoms can be uber varied so yeah, it might be affecting your alarm.

AlexW
18-12-08, 07:10 PM
What make is the alarm - (even though it wont have anything to do with it :wtf:) And if its not the earth it could be the battery, cold and batterys dont mix great.

Lee
18-12-08, 07:15 PM
What make is the alarm - (even though it wont have anything to do with it :wtf:) And if its not the earth it could be the battery, cold and batterys dont mix great.

Again, if the headlights are working fine, its NOT the battery or the alternator.

AlexW
18-12-08, 07:17 PM
Ah sorry, didnt read all the thread.

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 07:24 PM
Its a Cobra alarm fyi, its also a mk2?

So for one I need to take the vents off.

What about the other 2?

Lee
18-12-08, 07:27 PM
If your lights are working I would summerise the front and rear earths are fine.

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 07:31 PM
so its the middle on then??

Lee
18-12-08, 07:32 PM
so its the middle on then??

You are amazing at deduction lol

We're not saying that is the fault though, we are saying that is where to start fault finding. There is a difference.

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 07:36 PM
I cant do it now anyway, cos its dark and ive not got a garage.

damn car lol.

Mikey_J
18-12-08, 08:13 PM
Again, if the headlights are working fine, its NOT the battery or the alternator.

Not true. I looked at my brother in laws vectra on the weekend. None of the gauges worked or the windows. Headlight radio etc did. Alternator was overcharging!

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 08:37 PM
what reading would i get across the battery if it was. Doesnt explain the alarm tho.

Lee
18-12-08, 08:58 PM
Not true. I looked at my brother in laws vectra on the weekend. None of the gauges worked or the windows. Headlight radio etc did. Alternator was overcharging!

Surely any symptoms like that would go away once the engine was stopped?

MyNovaSr
19-12-08, 03:28 PM
BTW, I've found out that the alernator isnt chargeing when you start the car and its on idle, but as soon as you rev it, it picks up.

I'm told the wiring is uber crud and needs to be re done.

I need someone to come along, re-do all the engine wiring etc and then see if my problem is sorted. :(

Anyone? needs to be done before jan 2nd.

See http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110519 for wiring and pic of engine bay :)

Pete.

Lee
19-12-08, 03:50 PM
You would have far better results just bunging a new loom in rather than chasing bad wiring.

Its a lot easier than you might think :)

MyNovaSr
19-12-08, 04:07 PM
Never done it before, would not know where to start, id most likely just make bad wiring worse :p .

Whoever did it, did a real bodge.

craig green
19-12-08, 04:43 PM
Any odd lights on in the dash when ign is off/car locked?

Look at the earth between the gearbox & chassis leg. Make sure its not about to flake into bits.

Battery should read 12v & something in the ballpark of 15v when charging.

MyNovaSr
19-12-08, 04:54 PM
Any odd lights on in the dash when ign is off/car locked?

Look at the earth between the gearbox & chassis leg. Make sure its not about to flake into bits.

Battery should read 12v & something in the ballpark of 15v when charging.

When off the bat reads around 12.3, when you turn it on, it doesnt charge but then when you rev the engine the reading goes upto around 14.5 ish.

The earths in the engine bay seen fine, some sort of wax on it, no rot.

The only light thats works on the dash at the mo is the bat light and the indicator light, doesnt flash tho

Lee
19-12-08, 04:58 PM
Where you say the wiring is bad, Ill bet my bottom dollar whoever wired up the engine fed all the dash signals from the engine loom :roll:

From what you've said I still rekon you need to re loom it pal im afraid.

brainsnova
19-12-08, 05:05 PM
if you want the wiring tidy then the new loom is the answer and its easy to connect up as you will only need to trace the wires back from where they are already connected too.

Jack
19-12-08, 05:14 PM
When off the bat reads around 12.3, when you turn it on, it doesnt charge but then when you rev the engine the reading goes upto around 14.5 ish.
Thats normal

The only light thats works on the dash at the mo is the bat light and the indicator light, doesnt flash tho
Hmm, bad earth in the indicator loom perhaps? I had a funked connection on my sidelight/indicator lamp a while back and that caused no end of problems.

MyNovaSr
21-12-08, 11:25 AM
As above, the problem for me is finding the fooking bad earth.

Im going to commision a elec tech soon, should sort the probs.

Its more annoying not haveing a petrol gauge.