PDA

View Full Version : fire wall

*Dave*
17-12-08, 11:41 PM
hey,

took the engine out of my gsi today as its being xe'd and im thinking of taking the sound proofing off of the fire wall.

would like to do it but it means having it painted behing it, keeping it on looks tatty because it isnt in very good condition.

what shall i do?

brainsnova
18-12-08, 12:02 AM
carefully remove it or you could get armalex 20mm thick insulation that has a black finish.

burgo
18-12-08, 12:30 AM
im pretty sure they are painted behind there anyway and being as its been covered all its life it could well be mint

just vaux trev
18-12-08, 12:35 AM
not painted behind,
they always look better with paint behind a nice clean engine but that is quite a lot of gsi to remove,

*Dave*
18-12-08, 12:36 AM
im pretty sure they are painted behind there anyway and being as its been covered all its life it could well be mint

i hope so!

Jack
18-12-08, 10:26 AM
Every one I've come across (not like that) has been painted behind. They're a pain to get off cleanly though.

Big_Chap
18-12-08, 02:21 PM
iirc mine wasn't hard but I had the engine out too. Only tricky bit was around the rack & servo mounts. Was painted behind too but the shell was getting sprayed anyway.

craig green
18-12-08, 02:28 PM
I took mine off the GSi a few years ago.

Mine was getting tatty so I cut it off around the rack mounts etc. They are painted behind but IIRC there will be some adhesive residue on the bulkhead etc so it wont look particularly nice unless you have it painted.

A new bulkhead sound proofing (or whatever it is) was about £500 or so from Vauxhall IIRC!

amggsi
18-12-08, 02:54 PM
A new bulkhead sound proofing (or whatever it is) was about £500 or so from Vauxhall IIRC!

It can't be got now either, and I'm maybe glad it isn't if that is the price!!

I the top half of one given to me, and I've tried paiting it to tidy it up a bit, but it still looks very tatty, don't know whether to put it on or not!!

brainsnova
18-12-08, 03:09 PM
this is the stuff i was on about. http://www.pipelagging.com/c0m99-class-armaflex-flat-sheet-19mm-p-50.html

AlexW
18-12-08, 03:19 PM
I acutaly want some of that standard sound deading:roll:

craig green
18-12-08, 04:50 PM
Dont ever throw a good one away if its come off intact.