PDA

View Full Version : starlet turbo's

Rich
17-12-08, 09:06 PM
Anyone know much about these? Any common problems, rust areas to check?

Anyone owned one? What are they like on fuel etc?

Got one at work im gonna have a look at tomorrow, needs a roadtest :) Been told by some people they go well and others that they are slow?

Mike
17-12-08, 09:08 PM
Fantastic little cars TBH matey, steep on the insurance though lol

Dont know overly much about them, but i know there costly to repair (as with all Jap motors TBH)

Rich
17-12-08, 09:25 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/767185.htm

Thats the model, K reg plate but think it might be a private one. Didnt think of insrance actually, will give my insurers a ring tomorrow

Do they go well? Im sure they are easily tunable too as with most jap stuff, don't wanna get too into it or my nova will never get done lol

Mike
17-12-08, 09:26 PM
Very easily tunable, and respond really well to it. Can run them upto about 230bhp IIRC.

sulphur
17-12-08, 09:33 PM
Know a lad with one, std 130bhp but according to him 200 is real easy to get with simple choice mods, 230bhp can be run on std internals, but he doesn't advise any more. Rapid little things.

Rich
17-12-08, 11:05 PM
i cant wait to see my sales manager tomorrow. There might already be somone that wants it, only problem :(

let_nova
17-12-08, 11:08 PM
fast little cars!! my pals got one. revs till the cows come home!!!

sulphur
17-12-08, 11:52 PM
From what I've been told, suspension is a must. Handle worse than a shoppin trolley as std. Why you lookin at auto? :confused:

Dod
17-12-08, 11:56 PM
I have to disagree, they're poor at best and dont really go that well. I've seen Corsa Sports leave them through the twistys and everyone thats had them in Ireland has only had one, and they never seem to sell on.

AlexMcMann
18-12-08, 12:00 AM
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/767185.htm

Thats the model, K reg plate but think it might be a private one. Didnt think of insrance actually, will give my insurers a ring tomorrow

Do they go well? Im sure they are easily tunable too as with most jap stuff, don't wanna get too into it or my nova will never get done lol

Remove the boost limiter in first and second and it'll keep up with the likes of XE'd Corsa/Novas, 172's etc!

Edit: However the interior is the worst thing in history.

Jack
18-12-08, 10:34 AM
Can run them upto about 230bhp IIRC.
And the rest!

There's a couple round here. Rapid, and standard for standard will mince a Corsa Sport :p

robertdevlin69
18-12-08, 10:46 AM
i agree with dod they tend to get abused over here and thats it,dont see many of them on dublin roads anymore,never a fan either

Dod
18-12-08, 12:47 PM
Cheers Robert, we get everyone of them in from the Docks and they're **** boxes. Cheap tacky plastic trim and they look like a fecies.

Jack, my mate raced one on the Dual Carrageway outside my town and bet them stupid, in his VW Caddy Van.

craig green
18-12-08, 01:17 PM
Like most Jap mobiles, they arent too special on our fuel. Best not to chase big bhp IMO. (unless you have Dick Scraper's bank balance)

meritlover
18-12-08, 01:21 PM
they are too heavy. no wonder you have to get 200+hp out them to make them go anywhere. and being FWD whats the point when you can just get a 200sx for peanuts?

as said, most are abused.
several are 'tuned' with FCDs and little or no thought/consideration to whats actually going on after these are fitted. hence they end up with costly re-builds and melteded pistons.

most are driven by people who cant drive, as its seen as the next step up from a saxo and easiest step on the turbocharged car ladder .

meritlover
18-12-08, 01:24 PM
Like most Jap mobiles, they arent too special on our fuel. Best not to chase big bhp IMO. (unless you have Dick Scraper's bank balance)

however, optimax and ultimate is cheaper now than 'shopping-edition' 97RON was 6 months ago

most Jap cars (and almost ALL Jap turbo cars) have Detonation sensors and safety maps so it isnt really a problem unless these systems are defeated.

MyNovaSr
18-12-08, 01:30 PM
There is one round my way, looks great, never seen it go fast but the huge intercooler and massive boost noise makes me wonder.

dj_wudgey
18-12-08, 01:36 PM
theres quite afew around near me one off them is like 270 bhp i know a lass that had one aswell but she wraped it round a tree!! nice cars though imo doubt id have one though love nova's too much!!

Rich
18-12-08, 07:18 PM
Oh im still building my turbo nova, this will be my new runaround lol

I had a good look over it on the ramp at work today, seems good and for the price ive definatly gotta have it. Can sell it on for plenty more if i decide i dont like it. Its not the quickest thing in the world, but its better than my 20xe corsa even if not as quick.

Should be in my name over the weekend :)

-edited. in not look at an auto, thats just an advert for one that looks similar i found. Mines a manual

And lol at all the comments about poor built/interior. This is a nova forum afterall

Rich
26-12-08, 03:41 PM
well i bought this monday and ive gotta say its the best car ive owned so far lol

Nice to drive, quite nippy (i think the boost has been turned up?). Wouldnt say its far off my 2ltr corsa

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC02298-1.jpg

Adam
26-12-08, 04:01 PM
Sell it me lol

~~joycey~~
26-12-08, 04:27 PM
Funking hate starlets

brainsnova
26-12-08, 04:31 PM
how about this Toyota starlet 2.2 Pinto

Fantastic race prepared starlet fitted with RS2000 running gear which includes a Burton built 2.2 pinto and twin 48's, WCX-member, coilover suspension, LSD, roll cage and bucket seats. This car will be featured in Retro Cars magazine 2009.
£4K

Rich
26-12-08, 04:34 PM
Funking hate starlets

Reason being?

And that looks like it would be fun^^ :) Shame its a ford engine lol

Martin
26-12-08, 04:39 PM
My mate has had to.. Well a Stalet and a Glanza really nice cars

~~joycey~~
26-12-08, 05:10 PM
Reason being?

And that looks like it would be fun^^ :) Shame its a ford engine lol

Over priced and over rated and over exspensive on insurance you honour

I rest my case lol

Nobby
26-12-08, 06:04 PM
starlest are ace mate! my mate had 1 and it went like fook!! there quite pricey to buy but very cheap on insurance i think there only grp11 or 12 the same as a nova gsi and its japanese every slates them including myself bt they are the best and most reliable cars on the road and we all know it lol - 1 thinkg to check for as with all turbos is a headgasket!! good luck!!

Jack
26-12-08, 09:43 PM
And lol at all the comments about poor built/interior. This is a nova forum afterall
lol yup, dunno what everyone hates about Jap interiors - I like mine and its a lot better than my mate's 306.

Not sure about cheap on insurance though, turbo ones are all imports - I remember checking out insurance a while back and whilst they weren't expensive, they weren't exactly cheap either

Dod
26-12-08, 09:48 PM
They dont have Turbo on the Log Books in Ireland so you can insure them as a 1300 NA legally.

Jack
26-12-08, 09:48 PM
They dont have Turbo on the Log Books in Ireland so you can insure them as a 1300 NA legally.
That may fly over there, but not over here.

Sloth
27-12-08, 01:28 AM
they are ok but like alot of jap imp stuff the best are std ones. they do go well and are ok reliability wise, just that loads of em are hammered, leaking boost, and poorly mapped/piggybacked. the ct9 std turbo eats bearings, the brakes are ****, and the susp is poo too. rich, yours is an ep82, so it should be ok, just look fer kinked chassis legs, and rot on the sills. any q's just ask (toyota techie) ok?

Martin
27-12-08, 07:17 AM
My mate got a 1.3 N/A for his beday it keeps up with corsa sports and zetec s's

will soon be doing some sort of transplant soon..

any1 remember that Evo/Colt?

Dod
27-12-08, 12:32 PM
Theres a White Evo 5 Colt running a 4x4 set up over here which is purely insane considering they're Colts and so sh1t.

nick_nova
27-12-08, 04:49 PM
theres a glanza going about round near me and my mate raced it in his vtr that was running like poo, and the vtr was quiker so they carnt be that good!

Dan_Coombs
27-12-08, 04:51 PM
Maybe it was a 1.3 n/a with the glanza kit on it ;)

draper
27-12-08, 04:53 PM
theres a glanza going about round near me and my mate raced it in his vtr that was running like poo, and the vtr was quiker so they carnt be that good!

theres quite a few glanzas round this neck of the woods, the japanese R5GTT ??

nick_nova
27-12-08, 05:02 PM
lol im not that stupid, its definatly a turbo! i know the lad that drives it. i have no idea about this r5gtt?

nick_nova
27-12-08, 05:04 PM
well maybe i am stupid because i dont know what a r5gtt is :)

Rich
27-12-08, 05:20 PM
Trust me when i say the starlet is quick than a vtr lol Not only that the starlet isnt french. It is like the japs attempt at an r5gtt

I wouldnt say its that much off my xe corsa, but its alot nicer to drive. The urge to start modding it is getting stronger everytime i drive it, was having a play around with my mate in his civic b16 vtec thingy and there wasnt anything in it! Been reading up and its not hard getting 200brake out of these little things! If i wasnt building my turbo nova i would be looking at big power out of this thing.

slothsport1- cheers any q's ill give you a PM. The suspensions not great i thought i was a gonna after giving it a little off a roundabout lol The turbo seems good on this, are they usually pretty noisey when the spool up/dump? Its got the origional recirc valve on it get the turbo fluttering. According to the guage its holding 10psi boost, think it may be a bit more than standard but could be dodgy guage. Dont agree about the brakes though, mine seem pretty sharp, alot better than any novas/corsas etc!

nick_nova
27-12-08, 05:31 PM
maybe he was just the worst driver in the world..... EVER

Sloth
27-12-08, 10:01 PM
does it have the boost switch? should be 0.9 bar and 1.3 bar. the turbo should be a bit noisey, as the ct9 does whine a bit, but if its like a wrc car then its fooked. i'd go hybrid, the ct9 is expensive to rebuild. new from toyota is about £895!!! the std recirc is good, alot of peeps fit bailey ones but the ecu doesnt like em. btw chack the rad the cores rot at the bottom! the brakes are ok if serviced and cleaned gresed etc, the trouble comes when they arnt. the rear wheel bearings are taper ones, and can be adjusted easily, they de adjust alot!

Rich
28-12-08, 12:30 PM
Cool my rear bearings need adjusting, one of the fronts is noisey too cheapest ive found a front bearing is about £60 :o

Im too used to vauxhall prices lol

twistysnovagte
28-12-08, 01:00 PM
ive just read most of this thread,and my honest opinion would be that they are a not the best looking car,but on the other note there is two of them in my area,one i know pretty well,the other(later model) owned by some middle aged chap,the one i know of is,is pretty dam quick its the same year model you have, colour etc.tbh my motor(standard e16segte) doesnt come close on a stretch of dual carridgeway.but its what tickles your fancy,only time will tell!?!

Sloth
28-12-08, 01:04 PM
try a bearing maker/ supplier, as they usually do em alot cheaper than £60.

Rich
28-12-08, 01:07 PM
Yeah everyone has different opinions etc. I bought this because it came up cheap and i thought 'oh dont see amny of these around' until i bought it, now i see one every 5 cars lol I will probably only have it 2/3 months, i get bored easily and it will free up some funds for the nova build :)

Sloth
28-12-08, 01:09 PM
mmm they do command a premium if you can sell it at the right time, try the owners club matey.

stevie-p
28-12-08, 02:26 PM
I have to disagree, they're poor at best and dont really go that well. I've seen Corsa Sports leave them through the twistys and everyone thats had them in Ireland has only had one, and they never seem to sell on.

agree :thumb:
endless freinds have had them and whatever you do dont buy the glanza