PDA

View Full Version : Diy Rear Clusters

MattyWoo
27-11-02, 03:21 PM
I can't afford 90 odd quid for some white rear clusters, so is there any way i can do it for a lot cheaper myself???
Cheers
Matt

Anton
27-11-02, 03:42 PM
1) Use Cluster Paint

2) W**k Off on em :P

3) For tinted effect - wrap a pair of your mums tights round em

?Marty?
27-11-02, 04:12 PM
Buy a lexus.

Or just do what Anton suggested. Apart from number2. Only i can squeeze out enough spunk to cover them both.

Or, if you must have the genuine article, just keep your eye out for second-hand one's. Somebody might have some.

MattyWoo
27-11-02, 04:20 PM
how does cluster paint work?? surely if i paint over them u wont b able to see any light through them??
also where can i get it?

?Marty?
28-11-02, 03:50 AM
Well, as far as i'm aware you can't get white 'cluster paint' (it's actually called tinting spray - red/green/blue/black).

However, you can dilute the paint with lacquer and spray over the lights. You might even have to fit brighter bulbs too. I'd leave the painting to a bodyshop (up to ?30), as you need to mix the paint.

Another suggestion is to get 'white' lights would be to buy a roll of those 'go faster stripe' things (?couple of quid, comes in different widths, buy a thin one). Then stick it on the light (going from side to side) leaving gaps the same width as the tape, between each stip. It'll look white from far off, still let light through and is very cheap to do. Though it won't be completely white.

MattyWoo
28-11-02, 08:38 AM
Might just stop being a scrooge and buy some clear rear clusters, at least they will look decent!!!
cheers anyway mate
Matt

Ric 16v
28-11-02, 06:01 PM
I just got some clear rear clusters for my red car and they look the muts nuts, :D :D :D cost ?107 from tuning including delivery and there E-marked www.tuning.co.uk and because there not original GM they have slight gaps in them where the clear meets the black frame so u have 2 seal them with silicone so the don't leak and fook ur electrics !!!!

Jim
02-12-02, 07:14 PM
I just got some clear rear clusters for my red car and they look the muts nuts, :D :D :D cost ?107 from tuning including delivery and there E-marked www.tuning.co.uk and because there not original GM they have slight gaps in them where the clear meets the black frame so u have 2 seal them with silicone so the don't leak and fook ur electrics !!!!

?107 for a pair of lights that leak :o Not sure if I'd spend that much money on something that isn't finished to a decent enough standard :?

Jim

Will
02-12-02, 07:30 PM
lol @ ?107, i paid ?70 and they are e-marked and dont leak or enthing like that :D

Jimmeh
02-12-02, 08:33 PM
hmm the tights over lights is becoming more common place now

?Marty?
21-12-02, 03:56 AM
How's that then Micky? Using a fair few original ones, and just cutting out the foglight bits, and re-gluing them in one?

_JH_
23-12-02, 03:01 AM
keep an eye out on eBay.co.uk. there are clear repeaters and front indicators on there all the time, and rear clusters pop up every now and then. often you can get them from a seller with an eBay 'Shop' so you know they'll be brand new.

side repeaters with orange bulbs are never more than ?7-8 inc P+P

front indicators with orange bulbs are never more than ?15 inc P+P

so the rear clusters shouldn't be anywhere near ?90

carltoncrazy
25-12-02, 12:36 AM
matt fixur rust 1st m8,relly that 1st

Paul16v
12-01-03, 08:35 PM
I got 1 of the first set of of clear lights that came into the country a couple of years ago and they leaked in the first time i washed my car! i bought some new ones a while ago and i resealed em as soon as i took em out of the box and they've been fine! SRI 16v-good to see you took my advice and resealed em!