PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody done the B+E trailer test??

astraluke
16-12-08, 09:21 PM
was thinking about this the other day. as i need to get mine done.

Have you ever seen a learner driver car with a tow bar??

and you can't take a vehicle and trailer to the test centre, as you would be breaking the law.

So, how is it done???

Welsh Dan
16-12-08, 09:22 PM
I've been thinking the same thing myself.

chris gsi
16-12-08, 09:27 PM
there are a few places about normaly at the hgv training centers but it is about £300-£600 for the training and test and it not easy

ade
17-12-08, 01:14 AM
I was quoted £150 for the test. basically you pull a cattle style trailer (low and square). It's not illegal if youre taking your test to pull on of them although I do think you take the actual test on provate land through an obsticle course.

Need to take mine so I can tow the wifes horse box. Been practicing in the school they use for show jumping lol

burgo
17-12-08, 06:05 AM
i think its bull****!! i towed this bad boy trailer for 1000 miles with three differnt cars on it and never had a problem. this was before i found out i wasnt actually aloud. i know the trailer dont look that big but the trailer and car was the same length as a coach lol

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/DSCN1410.jpg

brainsnova
17-12-08, 07:53 AM
it is a ******* when you have been towing trailers for ages then find out you need to do a test to go legal.

Lee
17-12-08, 10:49 AM
Ive been towing for years. I want to get my test done, but as Burgo said, ive never had hassle. Ive even been pulled towing and they didnt bat an eyelid.

Problems would arise if you had an accident though.

Ste L
17-12-08, 11:04 AM
not sure how true it is, but heard you can toe a trailer as long as the towing car, trailer and load doesn't go above 3.5ton, as thats the max weight you can drive on a normal licence now?

Ste L
17-12-08, 11:08 AM
edit sort of right what i put above, but also slightly wrong...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.
For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

AlexW
17-12-08, 11:08 AM
I always thought it was weight ste. Ive towed cars before and not had a problem, only slight problem i ever had was the trailer might have been just over what that car was allowed to tow, the guy couldnt be arsed to have to follow me to weigh it lol

Lee
17-12-08, 11:12 AM
lol, cool, that actually means ive been towing with the transit legally :)

Not sure what the Vito's going to be like, i may nee to purchace a lighter trailer.

Ste L
17-12-08, 11:16 AM
lol, cool, that actually means ive been towing with the transit legally :)

Not sure what the Vito's going to be like, i may nee to purchace a lighter trailer.

might be why you've had no hassel then :thumb:

burgo
17-12-08, 04:02 PM
i think alot of people get away with it as the law on towing is so complicated and unless the coppers make you go to a weigh bridge its abit hard for them to prove anything

brainsnova
17-12-08, 04:41 PM
my brothers car trailer wheels had a habit of overtaking us when the bearings exploded. he had a mini digger on it pulled by a 1.4 astra mk2 lol

General Baxter
17-12-08, 04:46 PM
im happy my company paid for all of mine lol

the worst bit is, back to 10-2, and no riding the clutch lol

matthew172
17-12-08, 05:26 PM
ive done my trailer test, my company paid for it

i did it through the local hgv training place, they supplied the land rover and cattle trailer to do the test with, you do the training and test on the public roads etc

examiner was very strict though, i think if you havnt had much experience in towing/reversing trailers etc then you could find it quite hard

General Baxter
17-12-08, 05:33 PM
examiner was very strict though,

indeed, i remember doing an proper emergancy stop, as some one pulled out in front of me, i failed as the tester was not ready for the stop lol

Ernie
17-12-08, 05:33 PM
Dont know what all the fuss is about.
Ive been towing since i was 17.
But then again ive never had to do the silly trailer driving test as ive got the old school license lol.
Happy towing guys just dont get court.

Lee
17-12-08, 05:34 PM
indeed, i remember doing an proper emergancy stop, as some one pulled out in front of me, i failed as the tester was not ready for the stop lol

That annoys me to the back teeth! :mad:

General Baxter
17-12-08, 05:36 PM
That annoys me to the back teeth! :mad:

the best bit was, i said if i crashed into him, would i have failed, he said no, we would just have to abandon the test lol

i also failed a second time, you have to back onto the trailer, close enough to get the emergency break away rope round, but your not allowed to touch the trailer, and only allowed to get out once,

i tapped and i mean tapped, the brake thingy did not even push it, instant fail lol
mind you i can make the trailer dance going backwords, its that easy lol

i think it was about £175 per test aswell lol