PDA

View Full Version : xe mod??

auzzy-b
16-12-08, 07:42 PM
anyone know out about the cooling mod for an xe?? ie; drilling holes in the head:confused:

Rich
16-12-08, 09:08 PM
cooling mod? Not sure what you mean.

There is an oil breather that is common, requires you to remove the cam cover and drill holes

Or you could me the porous head modification which im not too clued up about. Requires a hollow bar put into the oilway to stop the porous heads

meritlover
17-12-08, 03:39 PM
do you have specific cooling issues that need to be resolved or is this just something else for the spec sheet?

burgo
17-12-08, 04:14 PM
i know what he means. you can get pockets of air form in the block which obviously affects cooling. so you drill the head in certain places to allow this air to escape and get proper circulation. however i cant remember where i read about it

auzzy-b
17-12-08, 06:24 PM
nope no cooling issues, just thinking of cleaning up my xe, thought i may as well have the mod done whilst/if i take the head off:)

leigh16v
17-12-08, 06:34 PM
Rather than drilling the head you drill extra holes/larger holes in the areas which cover the cooling jackets on the head gasket itself

auzzy-b
17-12-08, 06:47 PM
cool thnx:) , so have you done this yourself?? or do you know of somewere i can hold of some pics mabye?? cheers

matthew172
17-12-08, 08:49 PM
just drill holes in the sump

burgo
17-12-08, 08:51 PM
just drill holes in the sumpthats hardly helpful is it

Mike
17-12-08, 09:01 PM
just drill holes in the sump

Thats the same as running with no gear oil to minimise transmission loss lol

leigh16v
18-12-08, 06:37 PM
Got no pictures, but buy yourself a decent headgasket, ie the brown ones with the gold colour fire rings, and not the cheapy grey ones with silver fire rings.
If you sit the gasket over the block, you'll see the waterways and where the holes are in the head gasket, either enlarge them using a good drillbit with a small taper, or add a couple of smallish holes, being carefull not to damage the gasket or drill outside the sealing area for the water gallery.
What are you planning on doing with the car, is there a perticular reason you want it to cool that much more

auzzy-b
18-12-08, 07:17 PM
nah, its just for peace of mind. i no lots of people put xe's in the tiny nova engine bays and have nxt to no probs, i just wanna reduce the risk of overheating as much as i can ie: bonnet lifters,grills in the bonnet cooler running thermoset etc:thumb:
may as well since im thinking of cleaning the valver anywho and i have access to all kinds of machinery

Dod
18-12-08, 07:43 PM
I've seen XE heads with external oil lines due to them going Porus, I suppose you could do the same with water lines, but if you're worried about overheating problems, just slap an interior switch in and wire it direct to the fan!

R1CH
18-12-08, 08:59 PM
Absolutly no need to be messing around with the head / cooling system at all. As long as the water pump / radiator /hoses are in decent condition then it'll be absolutly fine, no need for a cool running stat either, fit a manual switch for the radiator fan if you want tho.
My LET just runs a std stat with a decent condition rad / hoses and have no probs at all with it overheating.

auzzy-b
18-12-08, 09:53 PM
its just for peace of mind. i no lots of people put xe's in the tiny nova engine bays and have nxt to no probs, i just wanna reduce the risk of overheating as much as i can ie: bonnet lifters,grills in the bonnet cooler running thermoset etc:thumb:
may as well since im thinking of cleaning the valver anywho and i have access to all kinds of machinery......