PDA

View Full Version : Butchering bleed nipples :-(

ianmorley1984
15-12-08, 08:12 PM
:(
oh dear.

I ****ed up.
I needed to bleed the rear brakes as there is air in the line thanks to my front brakes upgrade a few days ago and my brakes are awful.
I have rounded off one side, then, not content with just rounding it off I removed the drum as much as I could (brake line's 10mm nut wouldn't budge either without begining to round) and got my grinder on it, gently, so that I had a larger flat surface, but once again all it did was round off almost as if it's made of jelly :(

The car needs an MOT so for no other reason than getting it through the MOT, therefore I can tax it and legally keep it where it is parked on the street, I am probably going to cut the nipple off altogether, get the brake bleeding kit on the go and block the nipple's new-found hole with a screw....

The questions I have are...

1) is there a fix for this that I have overlooked rather than the bodge I have typed up above?

2) rear disc conversions... I used to have a pair of rear discs with the right bits to fit straight onto my corsa b, but I can't remember what was there, so could somebody give me an idea of the cost of these from a scrapyard and a brief description of anything that might need welding?!

cheers guys
:(

brainsnova
15-12-08, 08:14 PM
fit new rear wheel cylinders. sorted.

ianmorley1984
15-12-08, 08:21 PM
if I am fitting new rear cylinders I want to fit rear discs mate, as I would be doing that after xmas anyway, I just hadn't planned on doing it until xmas is out of the way.

R1CH
15-12-08, 08:25 PM
Try and heat the cylinder up a bit around the nipple before you try and undo it.
You've totaly knackered it then you'll have to remove the cylinder and drill the old nipple out, then get a new bleed nipple for it.

Stuart
15-12-08, 08:28 PM
imho dont bother with discs... too much hassle for naff all gain

ianmorley1984
15-12-08, 08:29 PM
I think I'll buy a few bleed nipples as I have rounded them off loads of times before.

right cheers for the advice I will get on with that in the morning, drilling the old one out, the only worry now is that the brake line's 10mm bolt/nut connection will round off also, as it started to do so earlier on :-(

Rich
15-12-08, 08:29 PM
cylinders arent expensive and are the easiest/quickest solution if youve fcuked them that bad

While your at it, get a pair of brake pipe spanners. Will help not to round them

ianmorley1984
15-12-08, 08:31 PM
brake pipe spanners... good shout, are these sold in halfrauds? It is the only place withing several miles that I can get to so I hope they do!

Stuart
15-12-08, 08:36 PM
to get the nipples out (ohhh errrR) get a pair of GOOD mole grips to clamp on them to get them out, you will keep rounding them off otherwise