PDA

View Full Version : dodgy cavalier

ben doodar
15-12-08, 11:34 AM
i went through a puddle yasterday in my cav, well a rather big puddle, and it cut out. i went through it very slowly, and reved the engine high as that is what your supposed to do apperntly, i stopped for a while and sprayed some wd40 over the plugs, leads, dizzy cap, coil, n still no joy, so we towed it home and left it for half an hour come bk to it and she strted up fine. so i jump back in it n go 1 mile or so down the road and it cut out again, so i got it back to my dads house whipped checked the air filter was nice n dry. took the plugs out n there all sparking, took the main fuel hose off n its pumping fuel, so i tryed the, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm off my nova to see if that makes any difrence, nothin. it will run but will take a good few goes to get it to run it will really splutter at low revs but will rev fine at high revs.
im confussed fuel n spark should have us going again surely? :confused:
any help or ideas would be (in the words of my grandad) champion.
XXX

Welsh Dan
15-12-08, 12:00 PM
What's the compression like?

just vaux trev
15-12-08, 01:11 PM
wiring,sensor ect wet, try cleaning drying any sensor that may have got soaked, any water in the air filter/box? timing belt sliped?,
what cav is it

ben doodar
15-12-08, 01:20 PM
i came to the car this morning after it had stud over nite tryed to fire her up n she started, i thought a best give it 10 minutes to warm up before i go any where init went back out to it to descover it was miss firing again
the car in question is just a scabby 1.8 grandad mobile on a k plate.

just vaux trev
15-12-08, 01:39 PM
k&n or standard? i'd check the filter box if standard may be sucking in water with air, or maybe condensation is getting in to somewhere when warmed up

paddy138
15-12-08, 02:33 PM
have you checked the distributor cao and rotor arm could be condensation under the cap