PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen removal

wilson_sri
13-12-08, 03:28 PM
Whats the best way to remove the windscreen without smashing it?

Spudly
13-12-08, 03:41 PM
Cut the rubber seal is the safest way but obviously you will need to replace it.

Or just do it as you would any of the other glass just be uber careful with it though as they break very easily!

brainsnova
13-12-08, 04:32 PM
id cut the rubber . i was uber careful and it cracked and it was a mint top tint :( novarally will probaly have plenty windscreen rubbers.

Jack
13-12-08, 06:20 PM
Can you get replacement windscreen rubbers from Vaux still?

Pistol Pete
13-12-08, 06:28 PM
No need to cut the seal. Start at the top on the inside. Tuck the seal under the metal, work your way round and the screen should come out. Might be easier with someone on the outside to hold the screen. This is how i did mine. Really cant see the need or the point in cutting the seal, and as RJ said, i didnt think these are available form Vauxhall parts anymore.

Novasport
13-12-08, 07:31 PM
Seals are NLS :(. I would do it in a warm garage if you can as if its cold there is more chance of it cracking.
Get some flat scrapers with blades wrapped in tape and two of you to take it out. Start in one corner and press on it whilst trying to feed the rubber behind the metal lip putting scrapers is as you go to hold it out initially.
Once its stared keep feeding the rubber behind until its all behind apart from the bottom bit then lift up to take it out.
Dont be tempted to pull it out too early and be gentle.

Use string in the groove of the seal to put it back in with it crossed over at the top. place seal on metal lip at the bottom and with someone pressing firm but gentle on the outside pull the string inwards to pull the seal back over.
I find when pulling the string if you rotate it(wind it like a handle) it wil get the seal over easier.

bigdan1
13-12-08, 07:35 PM
how i did mine was simple...
got a thin flat headed screwdriver and got in between the rubber and the glass and prized the glass from inside the rubber bit by bit!!
mine didnt crack anymore than it was in the first place!
re-fitting can be a bit tricky but if you no how to do it its a piece of cake =D