PDA

View Full Version : nova gte problem

exmouth_nova
13-12-08, 02:46 PM
hi everyone i have a 1988 nova gte .iv been having a problome with my nova .what happens is .if im lets say flooring it with the car and then go into the city the car dosnt work ok it starts to stall going up and doen on revs from 10000 to 900 and then causualy goes dead .it starts up fine thou it only dose this after iv been flooring it for a bit.

can anyone please help me .i realy dont know what to do .and am short on cash to take it to a garage .

Spudly
13-12-08, 02:48 PM
Id guess at the idle control valve needs cleaning or replacing but not too sure as couldnt quite understand all of that lol

Riggy
13-12-08, 02:50 PM
dont floor it then , prob solved

but seriously , try idle control valve or air flow meter , both can be dodgey

John
13-12-08, 02:51 PM
check the air bellows between airbox and throttle body are not split.

exmouth_nova
13-12-08, 03:01 PM
ar those parts easy to buy or hard to find thanks for al the help

dyl rhino
13-12-08, 04:46 PM
dont think these havnt got a idle control valve, i had this prob and it was down to the throtle postion switch. basically the same idea though

*Dave*
13-12-08, 08:11 PM
yes they do have idle control valv's, mine did it, was the throttle position sensor, but you dont see many novas in scrap yards i used 1 from a 2.0 8v carlton lol, the part numbers were the same worked fine.

been perfect ever since.

hope this helps.

GRUNT 16V
15-12-08, 10:42 AM
Check timimg / splits in air pipe to throttle body/ air flow metre or try adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body.

craig green
15-12-08, 11:46 AM
They do have an ICV, its bolted to the back of the cam cover where a carb fuel pump would be.

As said though, examine the inlet tract for holes (leaks) you can spray carb cleaner around the area whilst the engine is running. If there is a leak you will hear the change in tone.

Any current pics of the eng bay to help us trouble shoot?