PDA

View Full Version : 32/34 Tickover Problem

Andy
13-12-08, 02:32 PM
After weeks of poncing around with nay enthusiasm i decide to go put my exhaust and 32/34 on my Nova.The weber has just had a refurb from Bogg.
After starting the car,it wants to tickover on 2grand and sometimes 1500rpm
Ive moved the throttle adjuster to its lowest setting and still no difference.
Is there any other adjusters on these?
Any help is appreciated,Andy:thumb:

Spudly
13-12-08, 02:43 PM
The throttle cable isnt snagged somewhere along the way is it, holding the revs slightly up, or what about the choke is that connetcted up properly and working as it should (its a manual choke aint it)

Andy
13-12-08, 02:46 PM
All working fine.Choke fully open.

Spudly
13-12-08, 02:47 PM
Shouldnt the choke be closed though or am i thinking the wrong way round?

Andy
13-12-08, 02:48 PM
Its closed to start from cold
Yeah your thinking the wrong way round

Spudly
13-12-08, 02:50 PM
Oops, too much residual alcohol from last night then i reckon lol

Err hows the gasket between the carb and manifold, if its drawing in air through a small leak somewhere then that could affect if i reckon, have you got any gasket sealant type stuffs, if so whip it off and squidge some on and see how that goes?

General Baxter
13-12-08, 02:50 PM
remove the air filter, look in between the two ports, theres some screws, but dont play with them, lol

Spudly
13-12-08, 02:51 PM
Well thats no good is it nick lol

Look at them but dont fiddle haha:roll:

General Baxter
13-12-08, 02:54 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/Image003-1.jpg

well its all the mixture and ****e lol needs setting up lol

General Baxter
13-12-08, 02:56 PM
on the photo, wind the bottom one out about 1/16th of a turn lol that should lower the idle, the next one up decides on how much fuel goes in, then the next one up, is the second throttle fuel, ect:

disclaimer, don't come running to me when you bollock it up lol

EDIT, it might even be the other way around lol

Spudly
13-12-08, 02:58 PM
But if its just been refurbed by boggys though.....

But having said that they would have had all of that out to clean it all up and will have just refitted it thinking that it will get set up once its on the car wont they so it could just be that those are skew-wif if ya get me?

Adam
13-12-08, 02:58 PM
Lol
They are the jets....... unscrewing them wont do much apart from loosen them.
The mixture screw is on the side of the carb somewhere

General Baxter
13-12-08, 03:00 PM
Lol
They are the jets....... unscrewing them wont do much apart from loosen them.
The mixture screw is on the side of the carb somewhere

thats how mine was set up by an old school carb tuner :wtf:

if i screw it in tight, the engine revs drop and just cuts out, wind it out fully, the revs run about 6000rpm lol

General Baxter
13-12-08, 03:02 PM
the mixture screw is just next to the bolt hole going across the back you can just see it in that photo
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/Image002-3.jpg

Andy
13-12-08, 05:13 PM
Aye that makes the throttle move?
Very erratic idle like 1 minute its at 1500rpm the next its ready to stall?!

Adam
13-12-08, 11:10 PM
thats how mine was set up by an old school carb tuner :wtf:

if i screw it in tight, the engine revs drop and just cuts out, wind it out fully, the revs run about 6000rpm lol
Wtf. I removed and cleaned those when i rebuilt my 32/34, they are definently the jets lol

Adam
13-12-08, 11:18 PM
Pic
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/garnetteyes/weberexploded.jpg

Idle mix screw is on the side of the carb ;)

nathan.
13-12-08, 11:38 PM
adam's right there is only 1 adjuster screw on these carbs. If your sure the cable isn't snagging slightly, there no air leaks and you have a play with the mixture screw. Then i think it perhaps needs different size jets and air jets.

Andy
14-12-08, 10:41 AM
Thanks fellas.Ill make sure its all airtight again and have another go.

AlexW
14-12-08, 10:52 AM
what about disconnecting the throttle cable and making sure its not that?:roll:

Andy
14-12-08, 10:57 AM
Done that,was the very 1st thing i tried

hagger
14-12-08, 03:45 PM
mine runs like **** in this weather, i just open the choke up a bit to keep it idling. also it best getting it to bog bros for a tune up, to make sure the jets are correct etc..

sometime mine revs quite high, only when it gets warm and been on a long run, its just the throttle sticking, a small blip on the go pedal knocks it back down to idle.

Andy
16-12-08, 04:06 PM
Well it seems erratic idling could be due to the fact my head gasket has now gone.My oil has gone pis5 thin,is grey in colour,some bits mayonnaise.And its running like a sewing machine.Tis the season to be jolly......
Am i right in thinking the head gasket could cause the symptoms ive described?
Fast losing motivation in these heaps of sh1t now.

craig green
16-12-08, 05:14 PM
HG on an 8v shouldnt take any longer than an afternoon if its yer 1st time.

How are the fuel pipes connected to the carb? Common fault is the lack of a return on the carb. This should be 'T'd into the fuel supply before the carb, so any excess fuel just backs up down the return.

Andy
16-12-08, 06:07 PM
No its not t pieced,i was told you didnt need them and ive been in 1 without a t piece and it ran ok??
The head gasket issue is weird,Its not smoking bad,its not lost an amazing amount of water,the heaters still blow hot..and it isnt really overheating.Just runs crap and like its on 2,and the oil is as described above,pis5 thin and grey with some mayonnaise areas.