PDA

View Full Version : law info needed please

just vaux trev
13-12-08, 12:32 AM
i sold a car to what i thought a trust worthy friend who f#### me about he sold the car on to someone else and gave him the log book in my name,
i had a call few days ago off police saying the car had been dumped and as it was still in my name i would be responsable for any fines recovery ect,
i had the police knock on my door last night and say that the car was still there and now had a smashed window, if i go get the car off the road my self will i be breaking the law if it is still in my name????:confused:

Steve
13-12-08, 12:41 AM
Did you sign and date the logbook when you gave it to him? If you did them you might be alright as legally the car is his responsibility from then on.

I wouldnt bother pretending its still yours, you'll end up with a bill that isnt yours, i'd speak to your so called friend and get him to go and sort it out.

just vaux trev
13-12-08, 12:47 AM
log was signed and dated but i dont know who has got it or where it is as far as i know it could have been some kid wanting it for a joy ride then dumping it

Steve
13-12-08, 12:49 AM
Sounds like it, have a word with your mate and see if if he knows where the guy lives, still not sure why neither of you sent the log book off though

just vaux trev
13-12-08, 12:52 AM
thats why i said i thought i could trust him i gave him the log book and trusted him to get it sent off, i know bad idea!

rednova
13-12-08, 12:53 AM
its still technically your responsibility til the dvla change it im affraid - my mate had a similar thing happen and he sent it off himself but the guy got caught speeding - long story short he went through tons of hassle to get it sorted - recorded delivery etc. id just insure it for a day and go tow it home if your friend knows nowt

just vaux trev
13-12-08, 12:54 AM
i wanted the car to go to someone who would look after it aswell as there is a long history to it via a family i know loved the car

brainsnova
13-12-08, 01:57 AM
you can phone the dvla and get your name removed from the log book. then someones has to claim it back if they want to own up its theirs.

BIGS
13-12-08, 02:07 AM
I had a problem back along when i sold my car. but when i spoke to dvla they said aslong as you have signed and dated the log book it dont matter if it has changed on the system. you are no longer the owner.

scott.parker
13-12-08, 02:56 AM
Trev i had the same thing happen to me a few years back, i sold an old car to a work friend he never sent the log book off, an then sold it onto one of his friends,and that lad decided to drive round for months with no tax,mot insurance,he drove like tool everywhere had chopped the springs on it and used it like it was a rally car all over Redditch and Bromsgrove.

One night the police phone my parents house phone asking for me, they wanted to know what my car was doing in bromsgrove at the bottom of this road on a steep hill with all the side smashed in,and every can parked on the hill had the side smashed in too, was i responsible?
(turned out the nob parked it on a hill drunk,with the hand brake off) :wtf: :roll:

So i looked out side and said,nope my cars parked in the drive,so they asked me if i was the owner to G139 VJD black fiesta XR2i and i said nope i sold that over 5-6 months ago, so they asked who to, i said a lad i had been working with, they then asked for his name! (at this point i was still unsure what was going on,how the car got to be like this) so i told them his first name and said i didn't know his last.

I was told they would look into it.
So i then rang the guy i sold it too,and he told me who he'd sold it on to,i said well you and that **** didn't register the car to either of you,and the police came to me wanting to know whats going on! he said oh...

The police rang me back later to let me know that they wouldn't need to talk to ma again,an said they would settle it if they find the new owner.
So i cant see why they wont take your explanation as enough to go on.

Scott

Riggy
13-12-08, 11:19 AM
but , its your responsibility to send the log book off yourself , so if they havent done it then im affraid its your fault ,

Jack
13-12-08, 11:38 AM
Yep, its the responsibility of the seller to sort the logbook - it states this quite clearly on the form. Why on earth you'd ever let anyone else do it I have no idea.

Even if you signed and dated the logbook, I'm sure that could magically "disappear", so there's no record of the new ownership at all.

As for recovering the car, could it also not just "disappear" one night? lol

Pistol Pete
13-12-08, 04:45 PM
/\ Agree with that. A costly mistake on your part with the V5. As with regards to the car, try speaking to the DVLA and/or the new owner and sort something out.

Spudly
13-12-08, 04:50 PM
Just go and get it back, send off to the dvla for a replacement log book and break it/sell it/keep it, look at it this way you will have had the money for it and gotten the car back, bargain imo:thumb:

Ernie
13-12-08, 04:51 PM
if its near by and still in your name just go and tow it back or better still get somebody with a trailer to go get it with you.
If it stays there to long with the window through it wont take long till somebody torch's it mate.

brainsnova
13-12-08, 04:57 PM
id go tonight as the cops will be too busy with drunks in the city centre but do it legally.

Spudly
13-12-08, 05:22 PM
In theory he will be doing it legally as the car is still in his name, although being in your name doesnt make you the owner (as it clearly states on the V5)

L33 LEG
13-12-08, 05:33 PM
since when have the new owners sent the logbook off? :wtf:

let_nova
13-12-08, 06:41 PM
but even if your name is on the logbook it doesnt legally prove ownership.

Pistol Pete
13-12-08, 06:45 PM
since when have the new owners sent the logbook off? :wtf:

Since never! He gave it to the new owner as it was a mate who he thought he could trust.

but even if your name is on the logbook it doesnt legally prove ownership.

As Spudly said in his post. :)

let_nova
13-12-08, 06:50 PM
sorry! there was me thinking i was being usefull!!! as usuall.... USELESS!!