PDA

View Full Version : Car Cleaning

Adam Moran
25-11-02, 09:43 PM
Car cleaning in the winter months is real depresing stuff!!! I try and wash my car once a week and sometimes more if doing long journeys. But it's so bloody hard to keep my car looking sweet when it's dirty after just driving to work on Monday morning!!!!
Arh well summer will be here soon!

AJ

Anton
25-11-02, 09:46 PM
tell me about it mate. Especially cos i have a white car that is more of a brownish grey at the moment :evil:

Phil_G
25-11-02, 09:56 PM
Hi,

try doing the amount of driving i do ( around 7K in *just* over 3 months and then try keeping the car clean......

take some fucking doing i can tell you!

Phil

Breeny
25-11-02, 10:36 PM
I wash mine every 3/4 days to keep all the shit of it, only takes an hour if your run around like a loon and you keep warm at the same time!

?Marty?
25-11-02, 10:42 PM
Keeping it clean's no prob, but polishing/waxing the fucker is just not possible without a garage.

In fact when it's winter, i normally can't be bothered doing anything with it i.e. if something breaks or whatever, i just can't be arsed going to even have a look at it.

Not good really.

Stuart
26-11-02, 12:00 AM
as a good rule only clean it between june and july :) well thats my rule lol, its a nice shade of grey by june :D

Nova1.6
26-11-02, 08:57 AM
?1 for 3 minutes in a jet spray at tesco's garage. easy!

Ian
26-11-02, 10:37 AM
i now have a usable double garage :D remote control and electric now, so mine will stay a lot cleaner now

Dicko
26-11-02, 11:59 AM
i give it a good clean every week or three. but use a hosepipe and brush to clean the rocksalt off the arches and sills every few days.

i find with having a black car that if i clean just the alloys the whole car looks much cleaner :)

Alex
26-11-02, 12:02 PM
go for the rally look with the presionly placed dirt sparyed up the sides and you wont have to clean it :)

Matt Finary
26-11-02, 12:15 PM
There this old bloke near my work who every day he clean his new mk4 astra. He had a new corsa before which he cleaned but he only did like 500miles in the year and sold it. :o

Matt :)

Jim
26-11-02, 12:24 PM
The only way you can avoid your car from getting it dirty is to drive on dry days. Unfortunatley thats almost imposible in this country.

Also, those jetwashes are sh1t. I went to one the other day ?4.99 for the full treatment, after I left and my car has dried off a little, you could see brush strokes from the brush. The best way of cleaning your car is to get a bucket of warm soapy water, a sponge and some good old elbow grease :D

Jim

wisewood
26-11-02, 12:53 PM
I too have used jet washes and found brush marks on the paint work afterwards. Not very nice really.

I have found a couple around Rotherham though which you pay for time, rather than a package to suit you... and the pressure jet is powerful enough to remove most muck on it's own without using the brush... takes a little longer, but saves tiny scratches and marks on the paint work.

Nova1.6
26-11-02, 12:58 PM
when i said Jet wash, i meant the one where you do it yourself, not the drive-thru one, when u do it yourself in the jet wash it's better coz u can do the worst areas and u know ull do a good job, i do a power shampoo, then a shampoo brush then a power rinse and thats ?3 for 9 minutes and a very good job i find, i do it at about 12 midnight when its free and less traffic to get it dirty again!

wisewood
26-11-02, 01:02 PM
i was talking about the self wash too - none of that drive through stuff for me... they scare me to death :o :lol:

Some places the brushes get dumped on the floor -a nd then picked up later by a member of staff and you never know, tiny bit of grit in the bristles and bingo - scratched paint work.

locky
26-11-02, 04:47 PM
I dont seem to trust a drive thru car wash, ya dont know what peeps have put in the brushes, my missis sed that her friend went thru a drive thru, and som1 had put blades in the brushes! that was a few yrs ago!

?Marty?
27-11-02, 01:01 AM
Sponge and bucket are good, but you need to use a hose to get rid of all the bits of grit that may be on the car, otherwise you'll scratch the paint work.

Best thing to use is the jet-wash sprays. DO NOT use the brush and definitely do not go through the drive-through. They might not leave visible marks, but it will leave scratches whcih, over time, will at least dull the paintwork.

The one i use is on a self-timer, and you press buttons to choose stuff like 'hot shampoo', 'rinse', 'hot wax'. It costs a min of ?1, but how much you spend depends on how dirty the car is, and how fast you can move.

Jim
27-11-02, 09:52 AM
I think next time I'll do what Marty suggested. Use the jet wash hoses to clean the initial dirt of the car and then I'll take it back home and get the bucket and sponge out and give it a good going over.

Thing is, does anyone else find they can spend an entire day cleaning there car from start to finish? Do I go too far? :roll: I usually use 1 bucket of water and car shampoo untill the buckets empty, then I fill the bucket up again with warm water (no shampoo) and keep filling up the bucket and use the sponge again until there are no soap suds on the car. Then I leather it. Then I apply 2 coats of wax. This can usually take up most of the day. Thats before I get started on the interior aswell :o

I think I've passsed the boundary into "Over The Top" Land :oops:

Jim

Nova1.6
27-11-02, 12:56 PM
yeah just slighty OTT, but the thing is that it'll be spotless so take as long as u want, ive got a gf so my time is limmited, im waking up about 8am and cleaning my car before i leave at about 11ish. might do some on saturday aswell, hover, wash inside windows n that.
i need to t-cut and pollish it tho!

wisewood
27-11-02, 01:03 PM
Neil just get the missuss round to help you... she gets to ride around in it - she should help clean it. :D

I would help you t-cut and polish it for sunday but got no time - dark and freezing everyday when i get outta work and am working saturday too.

?Marty?
27-11-02, 04:05 PM
Neil just get your girlfriend to don hotpants and tight t-shirt - or even lingerie - and wash the car for you.

While you sit inside with the heater on watching.

Works for me. :wink:

Jim
27-11-02, 04:26 PM
Neil just get your girlfriend to don hotpants and tight t-shirt - or even lingerie - and wash the car for you.

While you sit inside with the heater on watching.

Works for me. :wink:

What works for you? Having Neils girlfriend wash your car? :P

Neil, if you're girlfriends gonna be wearing hotpants, a tight t-shirt and lingerie, then you'd best warn all the single lads to bring some tissues. Since your bringing Wisewood down aswell, you might want to blindfold him as he's probably never seen a female before :P

Jim

wisewood
27-11-02, 04:38 PM
Neil, if you're girlfriends gonna be wearing hotpants, a tight t-shirt and lingerie, then you'd best warn all the single lads to bring some tissues. Since your bringing Wisewood down aswell, you might want to blindfold him as he's probably never seen a female before :P

Jim - how did you know :?:

I know i had a discrete conversation with another novaload member about me being a virgin and never having seena naked woman in the flesh but I didn't think it was you...

Anton
27-11-02, 04:41 PM
lol @ Andy. I wouldn't mind them car wash babes, squeegee tit squad or whatever its called, outta max power to come round and wash my car :lol: :lol:

wisewood
27-11-02, 04:45 PM
lol @ Andy.

what you laughing at me for - just because I have made a concious decision to wait for that special someone to come along? seems a bit unfair to me :cry:

Anton
27-11-02, 04:47 PM
possibly so, but why was the convo with slim jim?

Ste_Nova
27-11-02, 04:51 PM
my 1.4 is well manky... had to wash my hands when i got to work this morning cause of all the dirt under the door handles!, my 2.0 is relaxing in a heated garage :D

Jim
27-11-02, 05:02 PM
The conversation was NOT with me. I usually ignore what Wisewood says as it's either jibberish or has nothing to do with the post :P

Jim

wisewood
27-11-02, 05:08 PM
[quote="SlimJim"]ignore what Wisewood says as it's either jibberish or has nothing to do with the post :P
/quote]

Jim you have a point :D