PDA

View Full Version : Nova Models dates of production, please help...

ianmorley1984
12-12-08, 07:19 PM
I need to prove to my MOT garage that my engine is pre 1992, as my shell is a 1999 Corsa B, but the engine is a 14NV SR on twin carbs and it will fail the emissions if I can't prove the engine age...

I think it was a 1991 nova that I got it out of, but I can't prove where it came from. I have been to my local vauxhall dealership and they were as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The engine number doesn't tell them anything about it's age.

What I am hoping for is a way of showing my MOT garage that the 14NV engine was built between 2 dates (i.e; Feb 1982 and Jul 1993), and that there is only a very small chance of mine being built after the emission test changes of 1992.

So...
Does anybody on here know of a list of Nova model dates of production, a way of finding out the age of my engine, or even a parts catalogue that can prove that certain vital parts of my engine weren't available after "said date"?

Cheers in advance, I really need some help with this as I know full well I won't pass with my emissions!

Lee
12-12-08, 07:25 PM
The engine code itself prooves it, as it's a 14NV with no C prefix, which denotes the emissions code it needs to adhere to.

FInd the engine code stamped on the engine. I think its on the gbox side near the head iirc.

ianmorley1984
12-12-08, 07:45 PM
Is that just a vauxhall thing, or do all vehicle manufacturers use that rule?

I worry because I had to explain to the tester that if I have an older engine in than the shell, he should be testing the emissions to the older of the two (engine/shell), and I literally had to prove that to him in his testing book!

If it is just a vauxhall thing, is there an article anywhere that I can print off to give to my MOT tester?

I have the engine code, my engine bay is very very clean and the number is visible for the MOT tester to see himself, so if it's a standard thing I will stop worrying!

Thanks loads Lee mate.

Lee
12-12-08, 07:47 PM
Is that just a vauxhall thing, or do all vehicle manufacturers use that rule?

I worry because I had to explain to the tester that if I have an older engine in than the shell, he should be testing the emissions to the older of the two (engine/shell), and I literally had to prove that to him in his testing book!

If it is just a vauxhall thing, is there an article anywhere that I can print off to give to my MOT tester?

I have the engine code, my engine bay is very very clean and the number is visible for the MOT tester to see himself, so if it's a standard thing I will stop worrying!

Thanks loads Lee mate.
Its a vauxhall code system, but you should be able to go to a dealer and get some sort of signed document showing the letters and what they mean, or maybe even something to show that engine was only fitted to the Nova, and never into a corsa.

ianmorley1984
12-12-08, 07:51 PM
My local Vauxhall dealership are useless, they kept telling me that there was no way I could have a nova engine in a corsa because they use different mounts, different wiring, different everything so I actually walked out of the parts department mid sentence last time I went there!

I will go and try again though cheers mate!

My mate actually has the entire vaux parts catalogue from 3 years ago on his PC, maybe I can get the same info from him.

Seriously cheers mate you have been a huge help.

Lee
12-12-08, 07:55 PM
Just ask for a list of engine codes and the vehicles they were fitted to. Say its a uni project or something lol

There is a similar list in the back of TV mag but im not sure whether your MOT guy will take that as red or not?