PDA

View Full Version : miles to the galloon

turbojolt
12-12-08, 01:50 PM
this is strange i have a 1200 carb nova and i drove 40 miles and used 10 quids worth of fuel :confused: :confused:

that cant be right as it means im only getting 22 miles to the gallon

turbojolt
12-12-08, 01:55 PM
there appears to be moisture on the inlet manifold but dont want to touch it just yet as the engine is red hot maybe there is a leak in a fuel line also when the car is full warm and the choke is fully in and i come to a stop it wants to cut out and i have to pull the choke out a little bit and then put it back in when i start moving is this normal

Prey
12-12-08, 02:07 PM
there appears to be moisture on the inlet manifold but dont want to touch it just yet as the engine is red hot maybe there is a leak in a fuel line also when the car is full warm and the choke is fully in and i come to a stop it wants to cut out and i have to pull the choke out a little bit and then put it back in when i start moving is this normal

Not sure on the technical but no thats not normal! Mine started to run rough and needing a lot of choke, since changed dizzy/plugs and leads - all is now well - so might be worth a look.

turbojolt
12-12-08, 02:14 PM
maybe i should just service it really well and try and find out if the moisture is from a leak arrrrr why do cars always have problems when you have funk all money

AlexW
12-12-08, 02:15 PM
Carb is prob full of crap.

bola
12-12-08, 02:26 PM
tbh honest mate there is probably nothing wrong with it, i get 23 mpg if i drive mine normally and keeping it at low revs. from what ive heard the 1.2 carb engines are just ****e on fuel! Oh and ive had my carb rebuilt, new ht leads, plugs, rotor arm and dizzy cap so cant be anything like that on mine.

Welsh Dan
12-12-08, 02:29 PM
I used to regularly get 35-40mpg out of my 1.2 carb, and I didn't go easy on it very often.

turbojolt
12-12-08, 03:35 PM
Carb is prob full of crap.

i ran out of fuel like 2 weeks ago and had to get a mate to take me to a petrol station with a jerry can and when i put the juice in to it it ran really rought could this be why it is full of crap

and to be honest after i gave it some throttle on the dual carrage way it seemed to clear up if 1200 do 20 miles to the gallon normally i will have to get a diffrent car :cry:

let_nova
12-12-08, 03:40 PM
try some carb cleaner give it a good clean and see how it is then.

turbojolt
12-12-08, 03:56 PM
try some carb cleaner give it a good clean and see how it is then.

what just spray it down its opening as i dont want to open the carb up with out a gasket set close to hand

dam as well i think i sold my carb cleaner or easy start with my old moped

turbojolt
12-12-08, 03:57 PM
i will have a good look at it tomorrow i think as its getting dark now and i really want to find out what the moisture stain was on the inlet manifold

my old man reckoned it sounded a little rough when i took him to get some plumbing bits earlier and said i should have a play with the tick over screw on the carb

let_nova
12-12-08, 03:59 PM
i just started mine up and sprayed it in. got the g/f to hold the revs as it wanted to cut out. got a bit smokey during but was fine after.

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:01 PM
i just started mine up and sprayed it in. got the g/f to hold the revs as it wanted to cut out. got a bit smokey during but was fine after.

sorry but were did you spray it before the air filter or did you have the box off :thumb:

also it cant be normal to have moisture on the inlet and no were else can it

let_nova
12-12-08, 04:04 PM
take the airbox off and spray it down the carb. how do you know theres moisture?

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:06 PM
take the airbox off and spray it down the carb. how do you know theres moisture?

i can see it on the inlet manifold after i drove from watford to wood green north london t were my old man was working we noticed it when he was looking to play with the tick over

Prey
12-12-08, 04:11 PM
If theres moisture ON the inlet manifold (ie on the outside) then thats not gonna be anything to do with anything surely?

Jack
12-12-08, 04:11 PM
Aye, carb cleaner first - off with the airbox, have an assistant hold the revs up whilst you spray it in.

If it still runs naff after that, change/clean the fuel filter, then look at ignition components (plugs, leads, dizzy, coil) and air filter.

When you say moisture - just water vapour? Oil? Fuel leak?

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:14 PM
Aye, carb cleaner first - off with the airbox, have an assistant hold the revs up whilst you spray it in.

If it still runs naff after that, change/clean the fuel filter, then look at ignition components (plugs, leads, dizzy, coil) and air filter.

When you say moisture - just water vapour? Oil? Fuel leak?

i cant tell as the engine was to hot to touch it and smell

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:23 PM
right i just went out and started it and could not see any leaking but it is dark

i also drove it in reverse and 1st and still not extra moisture

so i touched the inlet were the mark is and it apeares to be oil by smell and touch im really baffed not i think i will have to wait till tomorrow to tell whats happening

General Baxter
12-12-08, 04:34 PM
umm could it be something to do with the below 0 temp and using more choke, thus meaning more fuel lol

dougie_boi
12-12-08, 04:39 PM
pierburg 1b strikes again lol sounds like simaler problems as mine there plus mine also developed a flat spot after a few miles of driving and when i did that the car would also not tick over with or without choke but if u left it for ten mins and started it again it would be fine i would try carb cleaner first or a tiny bit brake fluid but prob just easier to get a new carb as oncethey have been opened up they never seem right after that. well to my experience anyway

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:40 PM
umm could it be something to do with the below 0 temp and using more choke, thus meaning more fuel lol

no that's what me dad thought but i have been using the choke like a pro after every ones advice on here and from relatives and friends lol you will be amazed how many different ways people use them lol

General Baxter
12-12-08, 04:42 PM
just get the engine nice and warm, then give it a rag down the motorway, then look like a complete tit as it maxes out at 80mph lol
that should blow the crap out :p

do you have an open K&N air filter ?

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:44 PM
just get the engine nice and warm, then give it a rag down the motorway, then look like a complete tit as it maxes out at 80mph lol
that should blow the crap out :p

hahaha to be honest i drove back down the single carriageway from watford to north london doing like 60mph to 80mph(when safe i might add) that would have cleared it up but never lol

and no my car is completely standard

dougie_boi
12-12-08, 04:46 PM
strong mix of redex like full carton to a tenners worth of petrol and give it the berries

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:47 PM
strong mix of redex like full carton to a tenners worth of petrol and give it the berries

sorry whats redex

dougie_boi
12-12-08, 04:49 PM
fuel system cleaner its the red stuff but dont get the one for the fuel injected engines just the normal one fuel system cleaner

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:52 PM
cheers mate i have a look for it

turbojolt
12-12-08, 04:59 PM
this is really this sites best point were you get proper answers to questions thanks guys

Welsh Dan
12-12-08, 06:01 PM
Whats all this about having an assistant to hold the revs lol? When the airbox is off you can use your spare hand on the throttle linkage ;).

*Dave*
13-12-08, 08:23 PM
try another carb, from scrapyard mayb,

my little 1.2 runabout is fine, does 115mph flat out, and i mean FLAT OUT lol

does 160-170 miles from £20 of fuel, and that super unleaded payin 92.9p a litre.

Riggy
13-12-08, 10:26 PM
Whats all this about having an assistant to hold the revs lol? When the airbox is off you can use your spare hand on the throttle linkage ;).

just watch for flames that take your eyebrows with them lol

Riggy
13-12-08, 10:26 PM
if 1200 do 20 miles to the gallon normally i will have to get a diffrent car :cry:

no this is all they do honest lol lol

Welsh Dan
14-12-08, 01:15 AM
just watch for flames that take your eyebrows with them lol

I never had that problem :confused:

mowgli
14-12-08, 06:59 PM
try another carb, from scrapyard mayb,

my little 1.2 runabout is fine, does 115mph flat out, and i mean FLAT OUT lol

does 160-170 miles from £20 of fuel, and that super unleaded payin 92.9p a litre.

Right, I did about 90000miles in a carb 1200, & there is no way one will do above 90-95. a std 1300 would just push the ton. I stuck a homebuilt 1400 in with the 1300 exhaust manifold & 1200 carb & inlet & that would do 115. (I checked it thru a measured mile)

there are 2 things for turbojolt to consider

1. it is 20 years old & needs overhauling
2. he drives round london, & it is all stop start so the mpg goes right down

turbojolt
14-12-08, 07:10 PM
but the only thing is i was on dual carriageways all the way up to watford and back so i was not stop starting all the time

also even tho the car is 18 years old its had loads of work and money spent on it keeping it up to scratch and i do have all the receipts to prove it as well

i think i just need to clean out the carb seems as i did run out of petrol and when i filed it back up it was running really rough but seemed to clear up when i gave it the beans down the dual carriageway and i mean really rough like it was running on kangaroo juice lol

edit ..

also when i was on the m1 when i brought the car it stopped going at about 95 mph no were near 115 lol

mowgli
14-12-08, 07:23 PM
ok, the carb probably needs a right good cleaning out, the timing is probably way advanced & the dizzy advance mechanism is probably knackered, because it was a common problem back in the day, then you need the tracking sorting, because it is worth a few mpg, then there is the choke...

let_nova
14-12-08, 07:27 PM
Right, I did about 90000miles in a carb 1200, & there is no way one will do above 90-95.

i had a 1.2 carb 4spd 105 top speed. iirc it done 72 or sumthing stupid in second. would rev till the cows came home!!! valve bounce ahoy!!!:thumb:

turbojolt
14-12-08, 07:36 PM
i had a 1.2 carb 4spd 105 top speed. iirc it done 72 or sumthing stupid in second. would rev till the cows came home!!! valve bounce ahoy!!!:thumb:

i have noticed the endless gearing lol

mowgli
14-12-08, 07:36 PM

yes mine would read about 70 in second according to the speedo but there is no way according to the laws of physics that 55 hp will get a nova to 105mph, it needs about 80hp to do that.

it goes like this

50hp 85mph
70hp 100mph
100hp 120mph

the rest is down to bad speedo readings

turbojolt
14-12-08, 07:38 PM
ok, the carb probably needs a right good cleaning out, the timing is probably way advanced & the dizzy advance mechanism is probably knackered, because it was a common problem back in the day, then you need the tracking sorting, because it is worth a few mpg, then there is the choke...

also thanks mate i'm going to have to get myself a Haynes manuel i think

jimbob-mcgrew
14-12-08, 10:23 PM
ive had three 1200 carbed nova's, they all seemed the same. about 25-30 miles to the gallon, regardless of driving style, unless hammering them, then obviously its about 10 mpg less, and unless the speedo's been out on all 7 cars, my 3 and 4 of friends 1.2 carbs, all hit the 110-115 mark as standard.

if its been running poo since it ran outta petrol, carb mighta swallowed some rust from the bottom of the fuel tank. internal contacts of dizzy caps commonly wear out too. moisture on the manifold... try wiping it off with a rag or old t-shirt and seeing if it'l lite the rag to see if its petrol.