PDA

View Full Version : summat completely different...

Asa-James
11-12-08, 05:50 PM
i've been having a long hard think about this, and was wondering what peoples views were on my idea.

basically, i like the hutchinsons convertible, but i want to go a step further. i was thinking,

four door saloon, frameless doors, either chopped screen or non at all, no roof (sunny weather only!) and then go pimp/euro style (i.e. low, largeish wheels, smooth and simple, possibly airbags) i'm not thinking practically for this, just purely as a show car/something different.

so what do you think, good idea worth possibly pursueing? or a complete waste of time?

marc novataken
11-12-08, 05:51 PM
go for it

Iain
11-12-08, 06:00 PM
It's only a 4 door saloon lost if all goes wrong lol Go for it

Asa-James
11-12-08, 06:01 PM
lmao! any chance of someone knocking up a quick photoshop?

Welsh Dan
11-12-08, 06:22 PM
I think it would be cool. I think it would be great if you hinged the rear doors off the front doors rather than off the B pillar aswell so you could remove the B pillar and have completely open sides when the doors are open :D.

Stick some source images up and I'll have a go at 'shopping them when I get back in tonight.

Asa-James
11-12-08, 06:23 PM
^ niiiice, time for a quick re think!

Welsh Dan
11-12-08, 06:25 PM
On second thoughts, joining the doors to one another to make a single large door per side might be a lot easier/safer to pull off.

Lee
11-12-08, 06:26 PM
Keep in mind you will need to do a lot of structural work. Without the roof, it will just want to fold in half over time. The doors will begin to sit funny and not close, then it may even suffer a nasty fail whilst driving.

The chassis will need some serious strengthening.

Welsh Dan
11-12-08, 06:30 PM
You could cage the boot and bonnet areas and bring the cage down to meet the sills, reinforce the sills with box section or tubing, then run another box section or tube down the center of the car at about armrest height and make it into an armrest that runs from the dash to the back of the car :).

Jack
11-12-08, 06:38 PM
As far as I'm aware, Hutch's have a shedload of strengthening underneath.

Pillarless doors could be interesting, you'd need custom glass and rubbers, and mod the doors so the glass fills the entire length.

poultergeist
11-12-08, 06:47 PM
or hinge the back doors on the rear quarters,suicide stylee?

DW-Nova
11-12-08, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a very interesting idea, will require alot of work but you'd have a mint show car if you did it properley, if you decide to do it just make it as random as possible. I was thinking as a future project to chop the roof off a 2 door saloon and make it into a lowrider with some outragous mods, i even have a even more random engine for the project, a 3.0 v6 Toyota camry engine. Remember that you'll need loads of chassis strengthening !! i cut the roof off a old mondeo with a petrol disk cutter a week before the MOT ran out and just cruised around in it with no other mods and it felt so so so dodgy, you could visually see the middle of the car bowing.

bola
11-12-08, 10:02 PM
Do it! Id love to see this! Just have one door a side and do that - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=98Gz3rsV0Y4

Asa-James
12-12-08, 12:53 AM
i used he GIMP software (cheers dan, rep coming your way!) and borrowed sloths pic, and got this...
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/nova/novacab.jpg

alright not brilliant, lines need working on but at least it gets the idea across

Plug
12-12-08, 10:09 AM
Suicide door's for the back and remove the b pillar.

Jack
12-12-08, 10:30 AM
i even have a even more random engine for the project, a 3.0 v6 Toyota camry engine.
Please tell me thats not going in a Nova. Spot has put one in a Celica, that was a squeeze enough and they have an engine bay twice the size of a Nova lol