PDA

View Full Version : Camber

macc nova
10-12-08, 11:57 PM
At the weekend i'll be adjusting the camber as its eating my tyres and pulls to the left. Im running fk highsports with the front lowered about 60mm. What would be the best way to do it? Its just gonna be a driveway fix

Rich
11-12-08, 12:01 AM
Sounds like tracking not camber. You cant do it accuratley without guages, just get it done at a local garage. Find a local tyre place etc with laser aligning equipment

macc nova
11-12-08, 12:05 AM
its not tracking had that done and it still pulls

Steve
11-12-08, 02:12 AM
Make sure the front struts are assembled correctly as per the haynes manual, I had the same problem on mine thinking it was the tracking when it was just that the guy that assembled them had done them wrong.

meritlover
11-12-08, 08:36 AM
oviously the camber is going to be dramatically altered by dropping the suspension 60mm. the easiest way for a driveway fix is to remove the struts and slot the holes in the turrets by about 5-10mm depending on how bad it is then use a plumb line and/or a spirit level with rotating protractor to measure the new camber.

have fun and remember to be safe
meritlover
xxx

meritlover
11-12-08, 08:37 AM
in fact, of course the easiest way is just to re-fit the original springs :lol:

therealnovaboy
11-12-08, 09:15 AM
if your tires are worn more on one side than the other this can cause the car to pull to one side. usually the nearside front tyre ware first. had this on my corsa was fine untill i adjusted the camber then it pulled to the side, tryed everything then got new tyres and it was fine. might be worth swaping the left for right wheel and see if it changes.

macc nova
11-12-08, 12:34 PM
thanks for the help. i think it might be the upper bolt that connects to the hub, as its more oval than circular i'll try adjusting that first and then see how it goes from there!

craig green
11-12-08, 12:40 PM
At the weekend i'll be adjusting the camber as its eating my tyres and pulls to the left. Im running fk highsports with the front lowered about 60mm. What would be the best way to do it? Its just gonna be a driveway fix

thanks for the help. i think it might be the upper bolt that connects to the hub, as its more oval than circular i'll try adjusting that first and then see how it goes from there!

You answered your own question. Well done. :D

Slotting the upper strut bolts is easiest thing to do, even better if you have an adjustable strut brace which helps hold the top mounts in position.

Well worth checking the top mounts are correctly installed though, if the upper plate isnt sat in the right place, it throws the camber waay off. See the Haynes manual for correct strut assembly.

Stuart
11-12-08, 12:57 PM
oviously the camber is going to be dramatically altered by dropping the suspension 60mm. the easiest way for a driveway fix is to remove the struts and slot the holes in the turrets by about 5-10mm depending on how bad it is then use a plumb line and/or a spirit level with rotating protractor to measure the new camber.

have fun and remember to be safe
meritlover
xxx

approx 1mm slotting for every 10mm lowered as a reasonable rule of thumb

craig green
11-12-08, 01:33 PM
It will ofcourse need tracking up again.