PDA

View Full Version : XE Nova GSi VS Audi A5 ?

LEWI007
10-12-08, 12:52 PM
Ok, a guy at my work has just bought a nova GSi with an XE, so someone brings in an audi A5 To be repaired and were talking about how fast it is and i tell them the nova would p!ss all over it lol they tell me im stupid and novas werent build to have big engines like that so it wont grip, etc etc
i told them the nova is light and has a big engine, that is big and has a big engine.

so i said id ask on here to find out what would be the winning car.

it was an audi A5 3.0 TD

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/gallery/audia5coupe/image34249_b.jpg

Would the nova win ? or were they right ? :(

LEWI007
10-12-08, 12:54 PM
Oh, another thing when i told him id ask on here which was faster, he said they will all be the same as me and say nothing can beat a nova they are the best.... lollol

Jim
10-12-08, 01:01 PM
Get both cars to a drag strip and find out.

andrew1988
10-12-08, 01:13 PM
Audi A5 3.0 TDI is supposed to have a 0-60 of 5.7 seconds. Correct me if im wrong but a standard XE in a nova is 0-60 in around 7??

Stoo
10-12-08, 01:16 PM
GET

A

LIFE!!

Who really cares?!?!

Ben
10-12-08, 01:39 PM
i have driven a 3.0 TD audi not an A5 but same engine and personally would say the audi is much quicker with the luxury of leather, air con, power steering, climate control etc etc etc so even if the nova did margianlly edge it. its a completely flawed argument.

Jack
10-12-08, 01:53 PM
Bigger does not necessarily mean worse handling. My dad's S3 isn't far off an A5 in terms of weight (1500kg) and goes round corners with minimal fuss; my GT4 loves corners and that weighs 1380kg

If you're wanting figures, assuming the Audi is the quattro model (which means it will go round corners, unlike the Nova), it goes like this:

V6 2967cc 236bhp/369ftlbs
0-100kmh (62mph) 5.9 seconds
155mph top speed
1610kg

Its heavy but fast. Anyway, who cares, the Audi is bigger, better looking, newer, worth more, has more toys and no doubt more comfy. Whilst the Nova will probably be rattling itself apart at 120mph and doing 3mpg, the Audi will glide up to 155, still getting 60mpg, and you could probably hear a mouse burp lol

Stuart
10-12-08, 01:59 PM
could you have found a bigger picture?

Jack
10-12-08, 02:01 PM
Perhaps he wanted to indicate the size of the car? It is indeed a big car.

MyNovaSr
10-12-08, 02:08 PM
im going to back the nova.

burgo
10-12-08, 02:11 PM
the audi would own the nova. therefore you now look a tit

Jim Mcrae
10-12-08, 02:14 PM
My money would be on the Audi. Out of interest what is an XE Nova on average 0 -60??

Jack
10-12-08, 02:19 PM
I'd make an educated guess in the 6.something range. I think mine is around high 6 (bearing in mind I'm captain slow and my engine is probably a little tired) as its similar pace to my friend's 205 mi-16, which my celica can outrun on a standing start, and thats a ~6 second 0-60.

LEWI007
10-12-08, 05:36 PM
Stop dissin me.

who cares ? me and the guy who are arguing :roll:

Just i saw a few vids of xe nova's beating skylines and subarus and stuff and thought the audi was nothing compared to those.

I think if it didnt win it'd be a close race ;) DRAG racing that is. dont think we can really say what would win in a track race as imo its more about the driver not the car. unless the car is much better. which in this case it isnt, because the nova owns it :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

*Dave*
10-12-08, 06:35 PM
i backing the nova!!!

cant be beaten by satans fuel lol

thought this was a nova enthusiast club, therefore novas are the best in our eyes lol

Spudly
10-12-08, 06:38 PM
Stop dissin me.

who cares ? me and the guy who are arguing :roll:

Noone is "dissin" you its just youre not getting the answers you wanted to hear.....

If noone cares other than you and the guy who are arguing over this one then why post it up on here to ask lol

Imo the audi would trounce the nova, depending what setup the suspension is then a track would make the nova own the audi but then again, it would be an unfair advantage to the nova if it were running uprated springs/dampers and the audi was running std setup:thumb:

Pistol Pete
10-12-08, 07:00 PM
I'd say the Audi would clean up. But an un fair comparison really. A new modern Audi against a 15, 20 year old Nova with a heavy front end? lol

let_nova
10-12-08, 07:05 PM
xe is low 5 iirc?

Pistol Pete
10-12-08, 07:06 PM
lol once the wheels stop spinning?? I'd say more like 6's TBH??!!

mayhem
10-12-08, 07:10 PM
stock XE would lose imo..

Jack
10-12-08, 07:18 PM
xe is low 5 iirc?
LOL maybe in the pub, yes

Pistol Pete
10-12-08, 07:20 PM
Pub BHP FTW lol

Mike
10-12-08, 07:22 PM
XE will get owned.

Comparing a standard VAG motor to a modified 80's s-hitbox - very uncool.

Adam
10-12-08, 07:27 PM
xe is low 5 iirc?
More like mid 6

Dar
10-12-08, 07:33 PM
Novas beat everything! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_89yCI4E0ns)

But seriously in a straight line the Audi will have it. Around a track the Nova should be better assuming it has had the suspension uprated to cope with the engine.

Standard XE in a Nova would be over 6secs 0-60. Probably nearer 7secs.

turbojolt
10-12-08, 08:57 PM
a bit of topic but that Audi looks amazing also all the figures seem to point towards the nova being owned hardcore lol

LEWI007
10-12-08, 09:05 PM
So the nova in the video beats a ferrari, but a nova XE doesnt beat an audi :wtf: whats so good about the one in the vid that made it win.

was it because it had uprated suspension and they were racing a track ?

so if the nova from my Debate had uprated suspension which i think it might because its lowered a bit then it would beat the audi around a track IF to keep it fair, both drivers were equally the same skill/experience, like BOTS ??

Adam
10-12-08, 09:08 PM
So the nova in the video beats a ferrari, but a nova XE doesnt beat an audi :wtf: whats so good about the one in the vid that made it win.

A-Its Dar's car (i.e. it aint a std xe with 40mil 1.4 gmax springs fitted)
2-Its Dar at the wheel

:thumb:

turbojolt
10-12-08, 09:08 PM

so if the nova from my Debate had uprated suspension which i think it might because its lowered a bit then it would beat the audi around a track IF to keep it fair, both drivers were equally the same skill/experience, like BOTS ??

if that's Dar's nova that thing is a complete track slag i would never want to drive it on the road lol its completely striped out and all that jazz it got more then just uprated suspension and the engine is not standard also who is to say the driver of the ferrari was not a noob to track driving

Graeme
10-12-08, 09:10 PM
I think you'll find its a Let Nova or a massively tune xe nothing like std, Didnt realise it was Dar's car in question

Dar
10-12-08, 09:15 PM
I posted a clip of mine going past that Rarri 360 for giggles. The Ferrari was going for it but I have slicks ;) He didn'tlol

A standard XE wondl't beat that Audi on the road. It may have a chance on track depending on the track and the Nova suspension.

LEWI007
10-12-08, 09:26 PM
Would a nova with standard XE and uprated suspension beat an A5 around the track ?

dont mention the driver, talk about whats more capable of winning of the 2 cars unless they are equal and it depends on the driver.

Dar
10-12-08, 09:31 PM
It all depends on the track. A small track would suit the Nova better but a bigger track would probably suit the Audi better.

But I haven't got a clue and to be honest it's a bit of a silly question. The Audi IS a better car. Far far far better.

LEWI007
10-12-08, 09:36 PM
I know the audi is a better car and nova's are crap old things.

But i just want to know what would be superior, so i can prove this guy either right or wrong.

Spudly
10-12-08, 09:44 PM
Audi!!!

Jack
10-12-08, 10:03 PM
I know the audi is a better car and nova's are crap old things.

But i just want to know what would be superior, so i can prove this guy either right or wrong.
That doesn't make sense lol

Spudly
10-12-08, 10:07 PM
That doesn't make sense lol

Thats why i simply replied "audi" lol

MK999
10-12-08, 10:13 PM
translation: I'm aware the Audi is a better car in terms of comfort, options and reliability but which would be the faster of the 2 cars.

Still a how long is a piece of string question tho lol straight line, circuit, which circuit, whats the temperate and which way is the wind blowing? :p

L14MNP
10-12-08, 11:39 PM
Lmao

*Dave*
11-12-08, 12:12 AM
this thread is boring me and i assume alot off people.

sorry mate but its a case of doin it 4 real, Racing.

turbojolt
11-12-08, 11:04 AM
translation: I'm aware the Audi is a better car in terms of comfort, options and reliability but which would be the faster of the 2 cars.

Still a how long is a piece of string question tho lol straight line, circuit, which circuit, whats the temperate and which way is the wind blowing? :p

a piece of string is twice half its length :D

Philsutton
11-12-08, 11:57 AM
a piece of string is twice half its length :D

Not completely true

turbojolt
11-12-08, 11:58 AM
Not completely true

how so lol

Philsutton
11-12-08, 12:01 PM
many many many reasons, but I should be doing work

Leeboo
11-12-08, 12:04 PM
I think Philsutton means,

The length of the piece of string all depends on where you cut it. :cuckoo: :thumb:

Unless of course it is pre-cut string.

K.

Philsutton
11-12-08, 12:07 PM
No I wasnt actually, you can have two identical lengths yet they can be changed without touching them directly.

turbojolt
11-12-08, 12:08 PM
i think we are going way of subject now lol

Philsutton
11-12-08, 12:10 PM
Indeed, IMO the Audi will spaz all over the Nova

turbojolt
11-12-08, 12:13 PM
Indeed, IMO the Audi will spaz all over the Nova

x2

1.6 8v turbo nova
11-12-08, 12:16 PM
Never driven a xe'd nova.. but my nova turbo put quite a good race against a bmw m5 3.5 litre... so i suppose thats kinda in the same league as the audi? Also one of them bigggg Q7's got smoked lol. Seat leon coupe.. the 1.8 turbo, had a play with this from the lights.. i left him 1st n 2nd.. he started to catch up but couldnt overtake.. Showed a few scoobys the rear end too :)

Philsutton
11-12-08, 12:21 PM
The xe novas are nothing special and are slow as, a decent set up LET will hold its own against most things until it gets to a corner.

Leeboo
11-12-08, 12:24 PM
No I wasnt actually, you can have two identical lengths yet they can be changed without touching them directly.

I was joking, however if someone tells me "hows longs a piece of string", I'll just tell them it depends where you cut it lol .

I don't know why anyone would want to compare an A5 and an XE Nova.

The Audi is a modern, rapid cruising machine, whereas the Nova is a raw, mostly uncomfortable hot hatch.

JSeymour
11-12-08, 12:24 PM
a decent set up ex would win, i had a go at an a5 yesterday and we was pretty much even stevens. (standard vectra gsi, which isnt as fast as a 2ltr nova with stannddard redtop power, good sus and tyres)

craig green
11-12-08, 12:35 PM
GET

A

LIFE!!

Who really cares?!?!

What I was thinking.

Where do you work? A creche? :p

mayhem
11-12-08, 02:49 PM
Never driven a xe'd nova.. but my nova turbo put quite a good race against a bmw m5 3.5 litre... so i suppose thats kinda in the same league as the audi? Also one of them bigggg Q7's got smoked lol. Seat leon coupe.. the 1.8 turbo, had a play with this from the lights.. i left him 1st n 2nd.. he started to catch up but couldnt overtake.. Showed a few scoobys the rear end too :)

i once tried a e94 (or whatever the modelnumber is now) m3 on the highway with my nova xe... i got kicked in the nuts bigtime.

stock xe nova is about as fast as a mercedes 560SEC.

Mike
11-12-08, 07:33 PM
The Audi is a modern, rapid cruising machine, whereas the Nova is a raw, mostly uncomfortable average room temperature hatch.

Just had to edit that to read some truth ;)

AFPMSL at this whole thread! What a farce lol lol lol

"My XE licked a Lambo" "My XE obliterated a furking Le Man's 24hour endurance machine"

Get real plum's, how the fcuk do you know the other driver was even attempting to "race" and simply wasnt thinking "whats this little penis kiddy doing in the way of my nice, plush, £30k motor?"

Who gives a flying fcuk. Execpt the fact that an A5 will rape most "hot/warm/iceberg cold" hatch/Nova. Can your XE cruise at 155mph still doing 32mpg whilst hearing a pin drop in the cabin? Thought not.

EDIT: Also, were said Audi's exhaust pipes coming out parrallel to the road OR facing downwards ;) this plays a MASSIVE part in it, same with any VAG motor ;)

nova danny1
11-12-08, 09:49 PM
Ok, a guy at my work has just bought a nova GSi with an XE, so someone brings in an audi A5 To be repaired and were talking about how fast it is and i tell them the nova would p!ss all over it lol they tell me im stupid and novas werent build to have big engines like that so it wont grip, etc etc
i told them the nova is light and has a big engine, that is big and has a big engine.

so i said id ask on here to find out what would be the winning car.

it was an audi A5 3.0 TD

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/gallery/audia5coupe/image34249_b.jpg

Would the nova win ? or were they right ? :(

Get a Nova XE drive around until you find a "cock" in an A5 at the lights and theres your answer,that is if your a driver and not a screwdriver.

Andy
11-12-08, 10:03 PM
Lmao at this thread.It reminds me of the stereotypical 90's Nova driver-who would try and race anything and usually lose....

Spudly
11-12-08, 10:08 PM
Hence the nova having a chav image, i cant beleive its still alive tbh, the answers have been posted over and over yet the question is still being asked....

Someone doesnt wanna be wrong methinks lol

LEWI007
12-12-08, 12:02 AM
this thread is boring me and i assume alot off people.

sorry mate but its a case of doin it 4 real, Racing.

The thread isnt here to entertain anyone :thumb:

but some people are saying the nova will win if it has better suspension.
people saying it will win around a small track.
people saying the nova will just...win
people saying the audi will win
people talking about the lengths of string :confused:

i havent got a clue....next time any of you take your xe nova out and see an a5 do me a favour and race it and let me know what happens, cheers lol

Jack
12-12-08, 07:14 AM
i havent got a clue....next time any of you take your xe nova out and see an a5 do me a favour and race it and let me know what happens, cheers lol
LOL

Next time I see an A5 driver I'm going to flag him down... "Excuse me sir, I hope you don't mind assisting me in a conundrum a fellow Nova owner of mine has..."

Philsutton
12-12-08, 08:39 AM
Just had to edit that to read some truth ;)

AFPMSL at this whole thread! What a farce lol lol lol

"My XE licked a Lambo" "My XE obliterated a furking Le Man's 24hour endurance machine"

Get real plum's, how the fcuk do you know the other driver was even attempting to "race" and simply wasnt thinking "whats this little penis kiddy doing in the way of my nice, plush, £30k motor?"

Who gives a flying fcuk. Execpt the fact that an A5 will rape most "hot/warm/iceberg cold" hatch/Nova. Can your XE cruise at 155mph still doing 32mpg whilst hearing a pin drop in the cabin? Thought not.

EDIT: Also, were said Audi's exhaust pipes coming out parrallel to the road OR facing downwards ;) this plays a MASSIVE part in it, same with any VAG motor ;)

TBH when you get a real you dont feel the need to razz it everywhere to prove a point. There are probably countless threads on other crap hot hatch sites that are titled "I smoked a TVR in my 5 door 1.1 Metro on the way to asda carpark"

Just because I only used a 1/4 throttle to get off the lights and the guy next to me with 35bhp went balls out at 65'000 rpm just to try an squeeze past whilst just missing a post in the middle of the road, doesnt mean you won the race.

The Simps
12-12-08, 08:43 AM
I think I can settle this. I have a A4 3.0TDI albeit a S-Line & Quattro.

I have raced XE nova's. The quattro gets you off quicker and the torque simply pulls you away. There's not a huge amount between them but the Audi takes the lead.

On corners, even for a heavy car, the quattro really is awesome and I think even on a pretty nova frendly circuit like Castle Combe the audi would still edge it against a std XE with suitable brakes and suspension.

By suitable I mean uprated to handle the extra weight but retaining road comfort.

Jim
12-12-08, 10:02 AM
Bored now.