PDA

View Full Version : nova sieve

ade
24-11-02, 10:00 PM
I have a slight issue with my nova

It seems to be leaking faster than the ruddy titanic!

It doesnt help the fact that it hasnt stopped raining up here for the last 3 weeks!

It just the passenger sider - both front and rear passenger footwells are soaked (I removed the sound proofing from the front and wringes it out filling 1/2 a bucket!)

But wheres it coming from!?

theres no "holes" rust wise - I've checked the engine bay and under the carpet - all solid. The only thing I can think of is the door seal - thing is its worse when the cars parked up. the only wet drip patch I can see seems to be directly under the dask on the door edge, directly below the hinges but dripping from the dash side itself if that makes sense?

I've bought some mastic sealer and run it along the inner grip of the rubber surround around the door frame then stuck the rubber over it so hopefully that will stop it. Anyone got any other ideas?

Ade

MattyWoo
24-11-02, 10:06 PM
what about the hole under the bonnet where the rear washer hose goes through??

Aragorn
24-11-02, 10:19 PM
windscreen seal?

if u cant see any holes - there probably arent any

the washer and wiring holes in the bulkhead wouldnt get the carpet soaking

so that leaves the window seal

u had the windscreen out - is it inplace properly?

Alex
24-11-02, 10:22 PM
has the rear washer jet been disconnected accidently?

Anton
24-11-02, 10:22 PM
Yeah check the windscreen, thats where mine leaked. Mine was in the top corner and running down behind the dash in2 the footwell. Get it quick before it leaves a nasty smell! :roll:

Ian
24-11-02, 11:02 PM
make sure drainage hole plugs are in under the carpet.

Harpo_8
26-11-02, 01:34 PM
it was a hole under the battery :(

my old man got some mesh and some sorta plastic filla stuff then filled it and sprayed it looked better than the rest of the engine bay after that!!!!

wisewood
26-11-02, 02:08 PM
I had this problem - was a problem with the seal on the windscreen - water was getting behind it and running around the edge and dripping down behind the dash in the corner... quite distracting when you are driving along and keep seeing little drips near your feet.

dave.gsi
26-11-02, 04:50 PM
i've got exactly the same problem ade. think i've sorted it now though. after finding a gaping hole in the floor where a rubber plug should be i thought i'd found the problem. sorted that out but a week later it was still soaking wet. after looking evrywhere for holes i was stumped. then thinking it might be the battery tray i whipped out the battery and right underneath where it sits was a little rusty hole (oh err!) after sorting that out my car is now sorted (fingers crossed).

u say its worse when its parked......leave it out overnight in the rain and leave random stashes of bog roll round the interior. then look which bits wet in the morning and you'll be a little closer to tracing where its coming from.

ade
29-11-02, 12:47 PM
The seal on the doors aint leaking since applying thr mastik but its still leaking. Theres no plugs lost under the footwells and the carprt/foam sound proofing at the very front of the footwell (directly under the bulkhead) is bone dry so it aint that.

There is however a very wet area directly under my left speaker - which ironically seems to have stopped working.

The windscreen and rubber are brand new and were fitted when the car was rebuilt - I cant see any signs of leakage around it but that doesnt mean it isnt.

I'll check it out at the weeken - if it stays dry long enough!

Cheers guys

Ade
:wink:

MattyWoo
29-11-02, 01:31 PM
It may just be that the windscreen wasnt sealed properly, my mates brand new Seat Ibiza started leaking about 2 weeks after he got it. It can happen!!