PDA

View Full Version : How to build cars - the Chinese way

Jack
09-12-08, 12:20 PM
Step 1. Take picture of Western car
Step 2. Create identical copy of Western car, with similar yet legally different name.
Step 3. Sell car at half cost of Western equivalent.

Exhibit A (http://www.autoblog.com/2005/04/16/chinese-copy-cats/)
Exhibit B (http://paultan.org/archives/2004/12/05/china-pirates/)

I did have to LOL at "hongda" lol

Stuart
09-12-08, 12:25 PM
I'm currently mapping a Lifan V400 motorcycle.... that looks remarkably similar to the Yamaha Virago. Shame they dont copy the quality over too lol

We were going to be working on a Chery car whos logo looms like Toyotas, and the car looked like an Avensis front end grafted onto the back end of a Seat Toleado lmao.

We had a newspaper clipping sent to us. It basically said that A Chineese car company was being sued by one of the big boys for copying... the judge fined the chineese company £2000. Had that been here the number would have been in the millions range lol. Basically "If its good for China then its fine to copy" is the motto held by the chinky OEM's

walshc
09-12-08, 12:31 PM
Thats awesome lol
Go China!

Jack
09-12-08, 12:35 PM
Yeah, one of the links says about a couple manufacturers trying to sue.

Be interesting to see how it works when they try and sell their cars in the US market

Stuart
09-12-08, 12:40 PM
Be interesting to see how it works when they try and sell their cars in the US market

I'd imagine (much like europe) the rules for imported cars will change somewhat and they wont legally be permitted to sell stuff without MASSIVELY expensive type approval.

plus I can garuntee there will be asbestos in the brakes/clutch linings :D Even if the forms say they dont ;) lol

pob
09-12-08, 01:33 PM
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/01/lifan-3-series-chinese-create-5door.html

copyright = the right to copy!

Gemima
09-12-08, 01:41 PM
Whats with the little wheels on everything?

Stuart
09-12-08, 01:44 PM
cheap tyres, and cheaper to make small wheels

craig green
09-12-08, 01:50 PM
lol at the copied Daewoo Matiz (Chevy Spark) I'd be flattered tbh if I was GM.

It's hardly a new phenomenon though, it's been happening for years.
Is the Nova still made in any far easter countries? cue a list of peeps wanting imported shells. :roll:

Jack
09-12-08, 02:02 PM
Beetles being made in mexico and the likes is different though - thats a design/manufacturing process thats licensed to the original company. Not a local communist manufacturer ripping off a design and giving it a similar name.

craig green
09-12-08, 02:10 PM
I knew what you were getting at RJ.

mowgli
09-12-08, 05:44 PM
Beetles being made in mexico and the likes is different though - thats a design/manufacturing process thats licensed to the original company. Not a local communist manufacturer ripping off a design and giving it a similar name.

the beetles were built at a vw owned factory.....

the Chinese did a deal with nissan to build cabstars under licence for the china market. after a year, they started exporting them to europe much to the annoyance of nissan. they were exact copies not knock offs

Stuart
09-12-08, 05:53 PM
The thing I find funniest is that they even copy their copies... We have found counterfeit parts on the production lines of parts that are technically counterfeit lol. They will do anything to slash costs

Dar
09-12-08, 06:43 PM
The thing I find funniest is that they even copy their copies... We have found counterfeit parts on the production lines of parts that are technically counterfeit lol. They will do anything to slash costs
Does that mean that the more you copy something the cheaper it is?
I wonder how many copies of copies you need before its free?

Stuart
09-12-08, 06:52 PM
bizzarly, yes.
The way they do business out there is they dont pay upfront for engieering like is done in Europe and the USA, so we bundle the engineering cost into the part price based on their estimated volumes (divided by 4 as they tend to be a touch over ambitious lol). Now they can at anytime stop using "our" parts and use a cheaper supplier as they arent contracted to buy X ammount from us (yep its stupid and commercially dangerous to sell out there). So they get the copies in at a cheaper rate, and then they find an even cheaper supplier of the copies and so on

dj_wudgey
09-12-08, 07:00 PM
its mad how come they get away with copying other companys cars??

Stuart
09-12-08, 07:07 PM
its mad how come they get away with copying other companys cars??

because its good for China. You have to think like a communist to understand/appreciate it lol. They are looking out for themselves, so by copying existing popular/proven stuff makes sense to them. Saves years and years of development that costs a lot of cash. The down side is their engineers are utter utter **** lol

Sturge
09-12-08, 08:09 PM
and the recycled recycled metal they use is so full of impurities it's unreal! They put a few of the Chinese cars through NCAP tests and not a single one would have earnt even 1 star!

Is it just me or has the strange Merc hybrid got a Cavalier middle?

Mike
09-12-08, 08:13 PM
^ fook me! Even R5's managed a 1 star NCAP lol

Spudly
09-12-08, 08:16 PM
Is it just me or has the strange Merc hybrid got a Cavalier middle?

I was thinking more along the lines of a Laguna I actually lol

Novasport
09-12-08, 11:15 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3308/hqd5zq.gif

L14MNP
09-12-08, 11:37 PM
Oldddd news, but none the less funny lol

I have only read page 1, so unsure if this has been mentioned but I suggest searching Brilliance BS crash test on youtube, also the SUV model they make. Brilliant stuff :D

Also the way they crumple (in structural areas) is horrendous! It is funny, seeing their prestige knock offs, they do a hillarious X5/land Cruiser hybrid IIRC. The worrying thing is how much the cars resemble other modern designs (obviously) and they are already on sale in certain EU countries IIRC. People will buy them not knowing what a shoddy dangerous POS they have! Yeah, airbags are all good but they're not much cop when the dashboard still hits you in the face lol

meritlover
10-12-08, 09:15 AM
i dont know what the problem is, japans been doing it for years and everyone bought them, think MR2, MX5, 300zx...and other styling.

when jap motorbikes came out, everyone slagged them and the quality. even the gear shift was on the other side, now people almost only buy jap bikes.

Jack
10-12-08, 09:21 AM
The Japanese didn't directly copy other cars though, merely took styling hints (albeit very strong ones in some cases).

Even the Gen1 Celicas which were supposed to be the Japanese Mustang looked distinguishably different from their American counterparts.

Yeah, airbags are all good but they're not much cop when the dashboard still hits you in the face lol
Thats ok though as the dash will be made from recycled condoms and christmas cracker toys, so your face will probably break the dash lol

meritlover
10-12-08, 09:49 AM
i see your point Mr Jack. If the chinese are to directly copy their exports, how are they to define a style of their own?
sometimes i cant sleep at night with worry :(

Jack
10-12-08, 10:41 AM
i see your point Mr Jack. If the chinese are to directly copy their exports, how are they to define a style of their own?
sometimes i cant sleep at night with worry :(
Console yourself Mr Meritlover, perhaps one day they may decide to clone our favourite european hatchback (or saloon lol)? Then there will be an abundance of fresh Novas for us to rejoice with :D

Lauren
10-12-08, 10:49 AM
^ lol
If only!

meritlover
10-12-08, 10:54 AM
that is my only wish Mr Jack. :( my only one true wish this and every Christmas.

Andy_L
10-12-08, 12:45 PM
Frankly I'm amazed a Chinese court found the Chinese company guilty.

Stuart
10-12-08, 01:21 PM
Frankly I'm amazed a Chinese court found the Chinese company guilty.

it was a token gesture I think to appease the opposition (albeit a piss take lol)