PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Taxing my nova

Jonny Martin
08-12-08, 05:29 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased my first Nova :) . I was intending to insure it from the 1st of Jan, However being the big un-patient kid I am decided to Insure it last night, so did. The previous owner has let it run out of tax (tut tut) I declared it SORN when I bought it, now I want to tax it, I know I can Tax it instantly on-line, However I wont get my tax disk for a few days, how do I stand with this? As my documents will take a week or so to arrive I would imagine so wont be able to tax it at a post office till then..
Any info would be great.
Cheers
Jonny.

Adam
08-12-08, 05:31 PM
If your insured, and its mot'd, do it online.
Disc will take 2working days to arrive.

NovaBoi92
08-12-08, 05:33 PM
can you drive it with no tax disk on, even tho its registered as taxed online?

Simon 1867
08-12-08, 05:33 PM
^^ agree with adam, but dont drive it untill tax arrives, even if you have all the other documents. I know its tempting tho

Stuart
08-12-08, 05:34 PM
If your insured, and its mot'd, do it online.
Disc will take 2working days to arrive.

Mine has currently taken since the 1st to arrive, and its still not here!!!!!! :(

Adam
08-12-08, 05:36 PM
I taxed the astra last Monday afternoon, and the disc arrived on Wednesday.

Jack
08-12-08, 05:39 PM
I did my tax disc online on the 20th November. Turned up on the 4th December :roll:

Stuart
08-12-08, 05:39 PM
feckers, I did it online on sunday morning (31st) and its not arrived....so my dad claims (if its sat under a load of post at his place I'll be doing some killing lol)

Adam
08-12-08, 05:40 PM
Perhaps its just depending how busy they are then.
Both mine have arrived within 2days

Jack
08-12-08, 05:42 PM
The only reason I'd do it online is if I can't find the documents or I'm away with work - which I was expecting to be last time. Otherwise I'd do it at the post office, keeps the post office open and I have the tax disc right away.

Stuart
08-12-08, 05:45 PM
The only reason I'd do it online is if I can't find the documents or I'm away with work - which I was expecting to be last time. Otherwise I'd do it at the post office, keeps the post office open and I have the tax disc right away.

aye but they dont take credit/debit card in the PO lol

usually its 2 days, but it appears they are being slack this time

Southie
08-12-08, 05:46 PM

Also you don't have to pay an extra £2.50 for the privalige for online taxing.

Jack
08-12-08, 05:48 PM
aye but they dont take credit/debit card in the PO lol
:confused: All the local ones here do!

Come to think of it,. I've not been to a PO that doesn't in the last xyz number of years...

[edit] And the £2.50 is only a credit card charge, just use your debit card.

Stuart
08-12-08, 05:50 PM
the online bumpf says you cant use your credit/debit card to buy in the post office hmmmmm

It is odd that they charge more to tax online (and the £2.50 charge for the CC is a rip off as its only about 20pence in reality), when you consider its no overheads to the post office they pay etc.

Jack
08-12-08, 05:53 PM
Odd, I always use my debit card to pay for car tax, and have done in 4 post offices (three in Yeovil and one in Highbridge)

Jonny Martin
08-12-08, 05:54 PM
This is what I mean, I'm confused because although if I do it online then it will be MOT'D Insured and Tax'd but I'm not sure where I stand if I were to get pulled over. I know the police can check instantly a vehicle's details so all would be cool that side. But I'm not sure if there is a law about not displaying a valid disk..

Adam
08-12-08, 05:56 PM
You have to DISPLAY a valid tax disc

Stuart
08-12-08, 05:58 PM

correct, although I have been naughty in the past and driven for one/two days without it as I couldnt be off the road.

if the plod simply do an ANPR thing it will come back clean and unless you are doing something to make them, they wont pull you over

Jonny Martin
08-12-08, 05:58 PM

Ah, that answers my question then!

Southie
08-12-08, 06:01 PM

He speaks the truth.

Jonny Riddlesden post office accept debit cards as I got the van taxed there.

Jonny Martin
08-12-08, 06:07 PM
He speaks the truth.

Jonny Riddlesden post office accept debit cards as I got the van taxed there.

Ah do they? It's not so much that I'm worried about its more the fact I cant insure it at the post office without having a certificate of insurance with me and i only insured it last night so will be a few days, as I've said its not a big issue its just me being Impatient :roll:

Rich
08-12-08, 06:34 PM
You can now legally drive without a valid tax disc for 5 days into the new month after the tax expires, provided you have taxed it online/by phone.

Just got home to open my tax renewal letter :thumb:

Spudly
08-12-08, 06:46 PM
You can now legally drive without a valid tax disc for 5 days into the new month after the tax expires, provided you have taxed it online/by phone.

This however only applies if you have re-taxed your car (as in it had a valid tax disc the previous month) and you taxed it at least 3-5 days before the end of the current disc and you are just awaiting its arrival through the snail mail!

You cannot just tax it online after its expired/declared sorn, and drive straight away!

Jonny Martin
08-12-08, 09:10 PM
Ah well, bummer, thanks for the info! I'll just wait till my documents come through then nip into the post office.
Cheers Guys :)