PDA

View Full Version : Gear knob

white2lSR
08-12-08, 04:29 PM
Im just wondering if anyone can tell me how the gear knob is attatched on a mk1 nova?

cheers.

Southie
08-12-08, 04:33 PM
Im just wondering if anyone can tell me how the gear knob is attatched on a mk1 nova?

cheers.
Pull it :D Should pop straight off.

Steve
08-12-08, 04:47 PM
Normally twist it off, but when I did mine it wouldnt go back on as most of the insides dissintergrated when it came off! lol

Adam
08-12-08, 04:49 PM
Same as above /\ Lol

white2lSR
08-12-08, 04:59 PM
ill just leave it then. I was thinking about getting an 8 ball knob

Steve
08-12-08, 05:52 PM
I was thinking of changing mine, best bet is to get another complete gear stick from a scrappy and rip that one apart then you can always change it back if you want.

white2lSR
08-12-08, 06:14 PM
:thumb:

dutch_c20xe
08-12-08, 07:29 PM
I was thinking about getting an 8 ball knob

Haha i did exactly the same to mine lol the old knob is pressed on, but it has had plenty of time to get reeeealy stuck. I took a stanley knife to take mine of, then took a real 8ball, drilled a hole in it (clamp it in a vice with some old rags wrapped around it) and then glued it to the stick with a gluegun (thing that melts sticks of glue). Looks cool :cool:

John
08-12-08, 07:41 PM
ill just leave it then. I was thinking about getting an 8 ball knob

Meh, copy cat! :p lol

jimbob-mcgrew
09-12-08, 12:50 AM
yeh, havent figured it out myself, have killed 2 myself and witnessed a third dissintegrate like steve said, i came to the conclusion there not meant to come off.

brainsnova
09-12-08, 01:17 AM
you put it in boiling water to soften the glue then pull it off (the gearknob). you have to remove the stick but wear gloves its very greasy.

Nova_Tek
10-12-08, 11:37 AM
I recetnly figured out how it atached on there. I first thought 'ahh pull it off' So I did and I thought it was the right way but I was left a plasitc core on the gear stick and eventually the inside of my gearknob went to dust and kept moving around and split.

You need to get yourself a flat piece of wood or something and a hammer. Place the block of wood or whatever you have decided to use and place it directly under ther knob square against the gear stick shaft (oooh errr). Now tap the bottom of the block with the hammer (in an upward motion) and the whole gear knob with its platic core will slowly slide off with each tap.

The knob is actually a very tight fit on the gear stick. Its very difficult to remove the knob just by pulling it most of the time you will remove the actual foam knob off its plastic core. AFAIK most Vaux gearknobs have the same plastic core and should fit.