PDA

View Full Version : watch computer screen on my tv?

Rich
07-12-08, 09:27 PM
Basicly want to watch films from my computer, on my tv?

Looked through google but says i will also need other adapters and uses alot of words i dont understandlol

Anyone know what i would need to buy?

Benn
07-12-08, 09:40 PM
S video cable/svga or com to hdmi.

NovaBoi92
07-12-08, 09:47 PM
depends what tv you have, my tv has pc input so i can connect my pc to tv and use tv as computer screen :)

Matt
07-12-08, 10:16 PM
If your PC has an S-video output you can buy an S-video to Scart cable to connect your PC and TV. This should allow you to use your TV as second monitor.

Welsh Dan
07-12-08, 10:17 PM
Stick some pics up of the back of your computer, or the back and sides of your laptop :thumb:.

Matt
07-12-08, 10:18 PM
Or you can buy an S-video to S-video cable if your TV has an input for it.

Welsh Dan
07-12-08, 10:21 PM
Or you can buy an S-video to S-video cable if your TV has an input for it.

How do you know he has SVID? He could have composite, VGA, DVI, HDMI, SVID or nothing ;).

Matt
07-12-08, 10:25 PM
Lost me there fella, I only know how to do it through S-video.

Benn
07-12-08, 10:28 PM
How do you know he has SVID? He could have composite, VGA, DVI, HDMI, SVID or nothing ;).

He doesnt thats why he said IF...

DaveyLC
07-12-08, 10:35 PM
If your TV doesnt have a VGA input or HDMI input dont waste your time... VGA -> Svideo/Composite looks crap.

DaveyLC
07-12-08, 10:35 PM
P.S. I'm selling my old LCD + Media Center setup if you are interested :D

Rich
08-12-08, 07:35 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC02302.jpg

its a dell about 8 years old lol. tv is a new sony 32inch flat screen

FUSION X16XE
08-12-08, 07:49 PM
s-vid

Welsh Dan
08-12-08, 08:48 PM
The white connector next to the big blue plug is called DVI. Your TV should have a HDMI port on it, if it does (see the manual) then you need a DVI to HDMI cable, it should cost less than a tenner for a 2 metre one. Thats the best possible connection.

Lee
08-12-08, 08:57 PM
Right.

If your telly is CRT, it wont take an HD signal, and as mentioned, if you convert a VGA signal into a composite (Svid, or just standard Vid (Yellow phono plug) video signal (which is all your TV can probably cope with) it looks shocking. Your TV MAY have a component video input via scart, but you will either need a converter or a new video card from your PC and the results still may not be that great.

If you have a Plasma, you may or may not have a VGA or DVI input, as some came with them as standard, others required a seperate card to be bought seperately. If it does, just buy a M to M Vga or M to DVIcable. A Y cable may help so you can view the image on both screens and you wont need to keep unplugging one or the other.

If you have an LCD i would be very surprised if it doesn't have one or the other as standard. Cables as above.

Stuart
08-12-08, 09:02 PM
I ran S-Vid from a Geforce1 card into a CRT a few years back and nearly vomited at how bad it was lol

djshaggeh
08-12-08, 11:29 PM
Xbox 360 is perfect for this just set your windows media player setting so it can see the xbox on the network and wa la.

brainsnova
08-12-08, 11:45 PM
after you do it your pc screen will look like a nintendo ds.

Rich
08-12-08, 11:46 PM
i will try the xbox then that seems the easiest route and its already plugged in lol

All these letters are getting confusing, its looks like they are floating on the screen i didnt think it would be so confusing.

Thanks for the help though guys

Lee
09-12-08, 07:42 AM
i will try the xbox then that seems the easiest route and its already plugged in lol

I hope for your sake it doesn't crash before the best bit of the film lol

Jack
09-12-08, 08:31 AM
Handy thread, as I'm musing about purchasing a lukuduturv and will want to run my computer through it.

I have a DVI plug on my gfx card, so I'm assuming that this...

The white connector next to the big blue plug is called DVI. Your TV should have a HDMI port on it, if it does (see the manual) then you need a DVI to HDMI cable, it should cost less than a tenner for a 2 metre one. Thats the best possible connection.
...will sort me out. I did have some kinda adapter with the card, which plugs into the DVI output but I can't remember what the other end of it is...

Welsh Dan
09-12-08, 10:47 AM
Most of those adapters convert DVI to VGA, but some convert to HDMI. HDMI is just DVI with sound anyway.

Rich
09-12-08, 06:59 PM
I hope for your sake it doesn't crash before the best bit of the film lol

I only just got a new one due to 3 red lights, best bit is i bought it pre owned in the first place. New one came with a 60gb hard drive and headset which i didnt get with the pre owned one lol

Must be costing microsoft a fortune lol

Lee
09-12-08, 07:14 PM
Must be costing microsoft a fortune lol

I hope so lol