PDA

View Full Version : quaife straight cut gear box, wot is it?

TUBZGSXR
24-11-02, 10:02 AM
i saw a nova with this mod, and just wondered wot it actually does, and is it a good or a bad thing to have?? ive heard it's noisey!!!!

dan16v
24-11-02, 11:44 AM
i think its where you use a touring car style gear change ie up and down as apposed to us having to go across to 3rd they can simply move the stick forward and bak it basicaly cuts down shifting time giving you marginaly faster acceleration. im sure CP or MC can give you a better description than me tho! and if either of you do answer could you take alook at my 16v gear box q thanks! :wink:
i wuld love one of the above boxes but there ????

jon_boy
24-11-02, 11:46 AM
normally the edga of the gears are cut at an angle which makes them easier to change into and makes less noise or summin. this is how mostcars come. straight cut is tougher bit harder to work, but gives betterperformance sumhow. dont ask. its more a case of makes the gears slp out less or summin. good thing to have on a fast car tho.....

Rick Draper
24-11-02, 04:55 PM
A touring car uses a fully sequential gear box and that allows the up and down shifting they cost ????, the reverse gear in a F20 astra gearbox is straight cut and that is why they wyne and crunch sometimes going into reverse. Rick

jon_boy
24-11-02, 08:00 PM
i just remember seeing a feature in a mag where most gear cogs are cut at an angle. this makes it easier to change into the gear but under hard acceleration can cause it to come out of gear easier. plus it doesnt transfer the power as well as two cogs that are cut straight and have a fuller contact area.

CP
25-11-02, 10:33 PM
A std gear cluster does indeed have the gear teeth cut at an angle (helical) which has the big advantage of making the meshing smoother and far less noisy. Straight cut gear have teeth cut straight across like on any bog std gear or cog. The big advantage is that they are stronger but the downside is that they are noisy. Some say they waste less power but quaife dont make any claims about this and have never done any work to find out.

You can abuse straight cut gears by slamming from one gear to another without lifting off the accelerator (fullpower changes)and they will take it.

I'm addicted to the noise myself :D

jon_boy
26-11-02, 05:50 PM
yeah thats what i was getting at! :D and its a great noise aint it! kinda whiney but in a wierd powerful way. sounds really raw and fast :D