PDA

View Full Version : upgrading nova brake servo?

heds
07-12-08, 10:14 AM
is there a larger vauxhall servo/master cylinder thats an easy swap for the tiny nova item?
cheers

Jay
07-12-08, 10:34 AM
Nova Gte/Gsi is your best bet mate, or maybe look into a corsa b servo/master cylinder setup.

What size engine do you have?

AlexW
07-12-08, 10:38 AM
I belive some astra ones fit, Mk1 rings a bell but not sure.

Im going to presume your running 256mm brakes, a lot of people will say not to bother.

Benn
07-12-08, 10:54 AM
Edit.

burgo
07-12-08, 11:00 AM
a gte/gsi servo is plenty for any brake set up you have

mayhem
07-12-08, 12:39 PM
there some guys here running with an omega a (carlton in the uk i think?) servo and a calibra mastercilinder, needs some adjusting to fit though.

loggyboy
07-12-08, 02:22 PM
I think the key is that servos dont improve the brakes. Unless ur a complete pansy that cant apply enough pressure. I dont even have my servo connected to the vacuum feed.

Rich
07-12-08, 04:41 PM
Cav/calibra ones will bolt on allowing a better mastercylinder such as the turbo ones. However you need to cut the cav/cally one and weld the connecter for the nova so that it bolts to the brake bar under the dash.

Benn
07-12-08, 04:49 PM
Rich, are you sure? I thinkthat the studs are off set where as the nova ones are stright.. Or other way.

Rich
07-12-08, 05:19 PM
I used a cavvy gsi mastercylinder/servo on my old xe. You take off the grey bracket from the cav, and it bolts straight onto the nova one. The only other problem is that the abs mc has only 2 outlets, so you have to run modded brake lines that split into to. I used a splitter block from a corsa C

edit. got me thinking if the cally one is the same now lol Ill try it tomorrow wehn i get home from work and take some pics to explain better. Might be worth doing a how to when it comes to doing it all

Benn
07-12-08, 06:43 PM
Do you havea pic? As i'll be removing mine to paint it and redo the brake lines anyway, so might awell look in to upgrading it all.

heds
07-12-08, 08:42 PM
ive got 288mm v6 brake setup at the minute but its pants so im gonna try the 256mm setup next to see if the smaller piston in the caliper will give a better feel on the pedal.
ill try the cavvy setup tomorrow see if it will bolt on.

Rich
07-12-08, 08:53 PM
Do you havea pic? As i'll be removing mine to paint it and redo the brake lines anyway, so might awell look in to upgrading it all.

The servo is at work at the moment, ill bring it home tomorrow and make sure the calibra one also fits up and what i mean by modding the connector.

original nova bracket
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC00044.jpg

cavvy servo/mc from abs model
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p24/novarich/DSC00050.jpg

Sorry not very clear

Benn
07-12-08, 08:54 PM
ah, so the whole thing will bolt to the car.
I was thinking mc to servo sorry.

Rich
07-12-08, 08:59 PM
Ah right! sorry i wasnt clear.

I think ive heard of early non abs astra gte mastercylinders having the same stud pattern to bolt to nova servos, maybe look into that?

Benn
07-12-08, 09:03 PM
I have, trust me..lol
Might be worth looking at what youve done tho, pics of the thingie bar would be great if you can.

_JH_
07-12-08, 11:32 PM
Some Non ABS MK3 Cavalier's have a larger master cylinder that fits straight on to the Nova servo.

It's marked 22 as opposed to 20. Not expensive, sold one on ebay last year and it only made 30 something quid.

Benn
09-12-08, 08:41 PM
Some Non ABS MK3 Cavalier's have a larger master cylinder that fits straight on to the Nova servo.

Any chance you know what model or anything?
I bought one before and it was wrong see.

Rich
11-12-08, 08:49 PM
Sorry not got round to getting the pics, been busy at work and honestly forgot to dig them out. Ill get em for the weekend

Jack
11-12-08, 10:27 PM
ive got 288mm v6 brake setup at the minute but its pants so im gonna try the 256mm setup next to see if the smaller piston in the caliper will give a better feel on the pedal.
ill try the cavvy setup tomorrow see if it will bolt on.
Really? 284mm (fiat discs) here and V6 calipers, and my brakes are outstanding. Thats using quality Mintex 1144 pads and grooved discs though

Adam
11-12-08, 10:29 PM
I use Fiat coupe discs too, and Turbo calipers, and my brakes work awesomely too.
And thats with motor factors discs, and std GM pads. No fade even on track.

heds
12-12-08, 08:21 PM
well turbo calipers have a smaller piston too so maybe its just the v6 calipers that make brakes feel spongy. i just dont have any confidence in my brakes, not a major issure that im gonna spend fortunes on but with my garage being in a vauxhall breakers yard its easy to try different things from different cars.
at the end of the day its gonna be for drag racing only next year so brakes are no biggy.

Benn
12-12-08, 08:34 PM
Really? 284mm (fiat discs) here and V6 calipers, and my brakes are outstanding. Thats using quality Mintex 1144 pads and grooved discs though

I had 288 v6 set up and there where spoongy as funk on mine, went back to turbo stuff and they still arnt great. Yes i have rear disc, but they hardly do anything, redoing all of my brake set up over the winter tho so we'll see how that gos. Looking at getting brackets made too so i can run 256 calipars but with 288 discs.

GDN16v
13-12-08, 12:08 PM
I had 288 v6 set up and there where spoongy as funk on mine, went back to turbo stuff and they still arnt great. Yes i have rear disc, but they hardly do anything, redoing all of my brake set up over the winter tho so we'll see how that gos. Looking at getting brackets made too so i can run 256 calipars but with 288 discs.

Hi Spec style?;)