PDA

View Full Version : Xe won't take up drive

hendrix
05-12-08, 11:14 PM
Tried to put the nova in gear today and turns out that I can put it into gears without having to use the clutch :confused::confused::confused::confused:
New clutch has been fitted when fitting the lump to the nova.
Looks like it has also spat a shaft.
Wtf lol

jimbob-mcgrew
06-12-08, 02:16 AM
u really need a helper to hold the gearstick dead solid in neutral while u do up the linkage bar connection (a helper thats had a nova prefrebly, so they know exactly where neutral is supposed to be) otherwise it'll be slightly out.

you talkin about driveshafts ? spat one out the box did it ?
what shafts you using for the conversion ?
u wanna make sure there in there proper by givvin them a gentle but firm wack inwards with a hammer, if your lucky you'll hear a quiet click when there all the way home, if you give em a tug once you think there in to make sure there locked in, shouldnt have probs after that. make sure u top up the gearbox oil too lol, easy thing to miss after all the works done.

hendrix
06-12-08, 12:33 PM
Yep looks that way, I'll post a pic later on I've got the 22 spline jobbies on. Cav 1600 inners. The did feel like they were locked in when I put them in though.
Just noticed that I havent put the castle nuts in the shafts, maybe thats why

novarobbo
06-12-08, 12:47 PM
gears are roughly selected so it would go forwards weather it be 1st 2nd 3rd 4th or even 5th so it isnt the gears lol

andy give me a ring when you get chance

Adam
06-12-08, 05:12 PM
The splines on the shafts transmit the power, and castle nut just holds everything tight.

Does the clutch "feel" normal?

nathan.
06-12-08, 05:49 PM
if your driveshafts arn't fiited or broken, then it will go in gear without using the clutch

jimbob-mcgrew
06-12-08, 06:57 PM
wouldnt have thought the castle nut would make THAT much difference unless under load, as the hub arrangement would hold everything in place well enough for it to take drive ? unless it popped out hub side u mean ?

bout the gears, hmm.. maybe your clutch cable is a bit twisted or something ? or might need a bit of adjustment gearbox side. check the cable once more for correct position etc, and adjust it up, nova's are funny with clutch adjustment, cos in most cars you dont want the pedal to hit the floor, but in most nova's they do, most garages adjust the clutch so the pedal is inline with the brake pedal, but that depends on how healthy and well bled your brakes are i suppose, play about with the adjustment, see if it helps any.

Adam
06-12-08, 07:17 PM
Id put money on a inner cv isn't splined to the box/diff right, or is broke/faulty

hendrix
06-12-08, 09:03 PM
yeah the clutch feels absolutely fine, adam are you karting tomorrow?? Ill show you the pics.
The inner cv looks like it has popped out the box.
Shafts used are 22 spline and 1600 inners. all seemed to fit and click into place. very confused :confused::confused::confused:

Adam
06-12-08, 09:05 PM
Does sound like cv's come out the box, check the circlip on the end of it.
No mate, cant make karting unfortunately.

hendrix
06-12-08, 09:13 PM
shame, I'll upload the pics when I get chance.
hmmm don't recall seeing a circlip actually. Ill jack it up and stick it on axle stands put the shaft back in and see if the wheels turn.