PDA

View Full Version : choke

turbojolt
05-12-08, 08:04 PM
how long did it take you to get use to the choke in a car if you come straight out of a modern fuel injected car

i have had the nova for 2 weeks now and i still make it Cong out every now and again because I'm still not use to it

kelbelle
05-12-08, 08:22 PM
Well I have only been driving a nova for a week now and I am used to it. It is my boyfriends car so he showed me the standard length to bring the choke out the first time I drove it.
My choke: If you put the tip of your finger at the bottom of the choke, it needs to come out about just under half the length of my finger.
Too little and it wont start and too much it will choke itself (well thats what martin tells me anyways!)

Andy
05-12-08, 08:22 PM
As long as it took to turn the key............

Southie
05-12-08, 08:26 PM
Don't you just love the first time you get a choke in a Nova ;)

Lee
05-12-08, 08:36 PM
The only good thing about a manual choke is it wont break, unlike the usual pierburg auto choke, which is fapping useless!

Thats where the benefits end lol

Sturge
05-12-08, 08:42 PM
Not so Lee, you can use it for a fast idle whilst deicing the car lol

turbojolt
05-12-08, 09:19 PM
i can pull my choke all the way out and start it with no problems even tho i now pull it out half way but its when i get the car moving i get the problems as well it dose not help if i have the radio on and heaters as i cant hear the engine at all lol

mowgli
05-12-08, 09:21 PM
its probably because the car is around 20 years old & most stuff is worn out a bit

turbojolt
05-12-08, 09:24 PM
its probably because the car is around 20 years old & most stuff is worn out a bit

but the car has been very well maintained it has had a reconditioned carb and has a very good service history it all works spot on I'm sure its all me not the car to be honest

General Baxter
05-12-08, 09:27 PM
try mine, its funny, stupid tuned engine, lol

ticks over choke out at 2000rpm

to start up, choke FULLY out for about 30 seconds, then half way for about 5mins, then 14 for about 10 till it hot lol

turbojolt
05-12-08, 09:32 PM
my old man was saying it is easyer to judge your choke with a rev gauge maybe i should get one

Andy
05-12-08, 09:36 PM
Get one anyway,but you should be able to hear and feel if its running smooth

Southie
05-12-08, 09:38 PM
my old man was saying it is easyer to judge your choke with a rev gauge maybe i should get one

Don't bother mate, it won't make it any easier. Just basically warm the engine up a little before setting off, with the choke a third of the way out. Don't give it a load of gas though, because you will end up flooding it, and it will start to run crud.
If it starts to struggle pull it out a bit more. If it starts to run better push it back inwards.

You will learn though by practice really.

turbojolt
05-12-08, 09:41 PM
i think you are right novabikedcarb im 10x's better at it then when i first got the car

i just get annoyed when it conks out on me

Andy
05-12-08, 09:46 PM
i just get annoyed when it conks out on me
Welcome to Vauxhall Novas

Southie
05-12-08, 09:48 PM
Welcome to Vauxhall Novas

All three that I've had were/are manual lol

turbojolt
05-12-08, 09:50 PM
seems as im not to keen on the mk2's i better get use to it lol

Andy
05-12-08, 09:51 PM
Ive had loads of manual chokes,i learnt to drive in one.Not that difficult at all.Just the injection generation wants to redline from cold y0 and engines cant do that.

turbojolt
05-12-08, 09:58 PM
Ive had loads of manual chokes,i learnt to drive in one.Not that difficult at all.Just the injection generation wants to redline from cold y0 and engines cant do that.

that's the thing mate i thing it is massively easier to get the knack of if you learnt it a car with a manual choke but i never so im still having trouble every now and then with it

Lee
05-12-08, 10:31 PM
Im sorely tempted to rig up some sort of 12v water heater, which circulates warm water around the engine half hour before I leave lol

I refuse to believe that all manual chokes are that crap, ive driven old fords with manny chokes and theyre nowhere near as bad. Even my 32/34 when it was on the SR had a manny choke but i didnt have a cable attached and she still started relatively easily.

I swear to god its the useless pierburg carbs!

Welsh Dan
05-12-08, 10:50 PM
On all three carbs on both engines that I had in my nova, I didn't need to pull the choke out by more than about 15mm unless it was really cold, and when it was really cold it only needed about 15mm more. It took a few weeks for me to get used to it, I kept pulling it out too far.

Jack
06-12-08, 12:07 PM
Last car I owned with a choke was my saloon, in early 2005.

Every now and again in the Celica I still reach to the lower left of the steering wheel to pull the choke out. I've been driving that car for 3.5 years. Go figure.

Last car I drove with a choke was my ex's pooloo. That was frikkin' rubbish, as it wouldn't idle so needed the choke to rev up to around 1500rpm... then wouldn't run with the choke out.