PDA

View Full Version : Bodyshops

Cle
05-12-08, 10:27 AM
Im currently writing up a letter to send to all local garage's for an appreticeship next summer. I've got a good few but i've included some bodyshops. Then my dad said "would a bodyshop take on an appretice?"

So anyone no if they would ??

Cheers
Cle

AlexW
05-12-08, 10:45 AM
Cooltiger is an appretice in a bodyshop i belive

Jack
05-12-08, 10:48 AM
Certainly would. I know of a couple guys who did an apprenticeship in a bodyshop; one turned up on their doorstep and asked if they had anything going, the other arranged it via an agency.

draper
05-12-08, 11:04 AM
dont waste time writing letters go and see the company in person

Gemima
05-12-08, 11:21 AM
Yeah they do at our bodyshop in work!

paddy138
05-12-08, 12:38 PM
send in a cv isnt any good, go in and talk to them and hand them the cv personally, tell them how interested you are etc, would have a far better chance id say

EUROTURBO
05-12-08, 04:21 PM
Bodyshops are always keen for young starters because they are willing to learn unlike some of the older staff they have, I myself train bodyshops all over london and the southeast to use products and have seen more apprentices in training courses than older staff just because they can take the knowledge in but as above, do it face to face and ask to speak to the Workshop controllers or bodyshop managers, nows probably not the best time to be looking what with the credit crunch and all but wish you luck mate.

Rich
05-12-08, 06:44 PM
Yeah as already said posting a cv is a waste of time. They will read it for about 10 seconds and chuck it, harsh but its true. The best thing to do is go in and ask if its possible to speak to the manager/workshop control. If they say no ask when would be a better time or leave a name/number and ask if they could get back to you.

Going in will show your willing and eager to find a job, good luck mate

muzzy
05-12-08, 06:55 PM
Yes bodyshops take on apprentices, but you would be better to go to bigger ones as they will be more likely to take you on due to the costs of putting you through college etc

Go in and hand your CV by person, if you send a letter they will just think you
cant be bothered going in to do it.

Where about are you looking at, would it be possible for you to travel to Inverness?

Cle
05-12-08, 07:05 PM
Yes bodyshops take on apprentices, but you would be better to go to bigger ones as they will be more likely to take you on due to the costs of putting you through college etc

Go in and hand your CV by person, if you send a letter they will just think you
cant be bothered going in to do it.

Where about are you looking at, would it be possible for you to travel to Inverness?
Theres a couple local to me but i was looking at the highland bodyshop in inverness as it's pretty big but i dunno how i'd get there if i did get a place.

I have around 12 garage's that im going to try and apply to aswell so if i get offered a place at a garage i dunno if ill really think about the bodyshop even thought it would be more helpful

CoolTiger
05-12-08, 07:16 PM
im a apprentace in a body shop worked there 3 months now, first job since school, i just rung up explained that i was intrested in working in a body shop and asked how i would go about sorting a apprenticeship would i have to go to college first ect ect, my boss said you sound really keen come in have a look around and see if you would like a job here lol went there and got a job, 2 parts to a body shop paint and panel beating choose which you wanna do first before you start asking , i chose panel beating becuase i like taking cars apart lol,

muzzy
05-12-08, 07:51 PM
Try places like Arnold Clark too in Inverness. Its always a good idea to go into local places and speak to them as you can actually speak to the boss rather than just the workshop manager, just go in looking smart with a well written out CV and take a covering letter with it too.

If they say no they arent looking ask if they know of anyone who might be. Another place to try is Stagecoach, they take on coachbuilders which is the same thing, im not sure if Aviemore has a workshop but i know Inverness does. Rapsons would be another place.

Benn
05-12-08, 07:54 PM
As said, go in and see them in person.
Alot of places will scan your letter and bin it, i had it to it for my old boss when i was working at the bodyshop.

Dont just do big places either, smaller bodyshop will get you doing more so you'll learn alot more!