PDA

View Full Version : C20/16xe size/weight

adamant
04-12-08, 09:26 PM
Ok so i don't know whether you'll all like this but you've seemed quite friendly so far and i thought you'd be the best people to ask. Don't really want to cause a debate but here goes...:p

I bought my first Nova not long ago which happened to have a C20xe in it.:thumb:

I have always been a Mini boy myself and but have been so impressed with the Nova's engine on on road but more with trackdays as nout has gone wrong and i can drive it there and back, it seems bomb proof, not like the Mini's with the old A-series, something always went wrong.:cry:

So with that in mind it is time to rebuild the Mini and i have decided to go the more reliable route and fit a Vauxhall engine the 2litre being my prefered route. :eek: Stupid some might say but with the ones i have experienced they still handle really really well when set up properly.

Two of my friends have already got C20xe engines in theres but they have had to put the bigger Clubman front end on or an extended round nose, both routes which i do not want to take. I have been told i can fit the 20 under the standard round nose with alot of jiggery pokery! But the 16 will fit alot easier.

Sooo......

What are the size differences? is it alot?

What are the weight differences?

Tunability?

and the most important question...

Is the 16 as bomb proof and reliable as the 20?

:confused:

Cheers

peester
04-12-08, 09:51 PM
weight wise i think it around 20-25kg (2.0, big block is heavier by that much over 1.6, small block)
With a sorted shell stiffening and suspension/steering upgrade - you wont feel the difference that much. What u do feel is the wrath of nearly half as much power again with the 2.0. (150bhp, to the 1.6's 100bhp aprox)
To be fair to the 1.6 tho, £200 see's a inlet manifold 'power-box' modification that usually free's up the 1.6 to the tune of 120bhp.

The debate goes on.
Now go and mention about the 1.8 u might not know about.. (z18xe / x18xe1 engines.. )

adamant
04-12-08, 10:01 PM
Ha! Yeah i've felt the power of the 2litre in the Nova thats why i'm headin that way with the Mini. I did know about the 1.8's but found the 2.0 and 1.6 to be most common.

I am pretty much sold on the 2.0 especially as you can pick them up all over the place, havn't seen so many 1.6 engines for sale, but thought i'd see what people say and give it a chance.

Am lookinbg forward to the challenge of fitting it all in.

John
04-12-08, 10:04 PM
Personally i'd say the 2.0 is way more reliable/tuneable than the 1.6, plus you know them inside out anyway!

GDN16v
05-12-08, 07:48 AM
Personally i'd say the 2.0 is way more reliable/tuneable than the 1.6

Not really as both can be tuned to the same extent. The 2.0 will always be more powerful, but its not always the way forward! Depends what youre doing with the car! " 2.0 16v's are also not more reliable, depends on what youve done with it and how good it was before you started!;):thumb:

MK999
05-12-08, 12:49 PM
as an absolute maximum of what you can get out of the engines without going into swindon race engines/btcc levels and spending 30k, the c16xe seems to be about 220-230 bhp and the xe 250ish maybe? bit of a guess on the 2.0 but i know the SBD throttle bodies kit claims 200bhp and i'd imagine that was without headwork etc or they wouldn't be able to claim the figures from their kit ! i might be completely wrong though lol

adamant
05-12-08, 01:34 PM
Cheers for info so far.

Is there a massive difference in the actual size of the engine?

philip
05-12-08, 04:51 PM
a hell of alot easier to work on a 20xe than a smallblock xe...well if on stock inlet on the smallblock. if have aftermarket inlet, then piece of piss.

theres a thread on vauxsport about the weights, and tbh for the gain in power from the 20xe over the smallblock 16vs, then 20xe wins. but i did used to run a mildly tuned c16xe in mt corisa gsi and that would drill 106gti's and valver corsa's...not that much top end with the valvers though. but was alot of fun.

if building a purely track orientated car, maybe the c16 would be better, but if set-up properly the 20xe is spot on

pob
06-12-08, 04:13 PM
You cant get the 16V 2L under the bonnet of a standard unextended mini, only the 8V 2L.
Yes the 2L 8V is bomb proof, but you can get as much power out of the 1.6 16v and its smaller and lighter so doesn't upset the handling as much as the massive 2L.

Have you seen allspeed's demo car? 160bhp.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/pobpob/16xe_013a1.jpg

adamant
07-12-08, 05:38 PM
Yeah have been speaking to Rob at Allspeed about the conversions and about fitting it under the standard front end, it can be done buit is alot of work, like moving engine mounts, custom exhaust, custom rad.

The 8v has never interested me, but i might look into the 1.6 16v more as it does fit alot easier but want to keep the engine standard so that it is reliable and less to go wrong, just fit some throttle bodies.

pob
07-12-08, 06:19 PM
Keeping it standard will defeat the purpose of the 16V.
A standard 8V 1.6 has as much power and torque as a standard 16v 1.6 and is a hell of a lot easier to get in. Its only when you start tuning the 16V is when the advantages really start to show.

have you looked on www.16vminiclub.com (http://www.16vminiclub.com) ?
have a look at some of the build diaries.

adamant
08-12-08, 10:18 AM
Yeah i am registered on the mini16vclub, i would only just use throttle bodies on the 2litre i would obviously tune the 1.6 16v more, but that is why i am more interested in the 2litre as i could keep it pretty much standard.

pob
08-12-08, 12:41 PM
If you want 2L and a standard roundnose car then its the old cav sri 130 and a bombproof mountain of torque, but not absolute power.

Build an inboard pedal box, some R1 carbs and when you're pulling less than 700kg I think you'll find it'll be quick enough to scare the bravest of passengers.

AlanH
08-12-08, 01:38 PM
if you're fitting a 2.0 look in my wip thread on 16v miniclub, im on making my own subframe, will be posting pics up. pm me if you need any help/advice if you're making your own and the lads on the forum are really helpful

craig green
08-12-08, 02:43 PM
In a mini I doubt there is much to seperate them.

If tuning the lumps or revving them really high I reckon the 2.0 is stronger, they seem to stay in 1 peice a bit better than tuned smallblocks do.

Happy with my 1600 16v that I've just put on the road however.

As for 8v torque, its all bull. The 16v power & torque curve are above that of an 8v throughout the whole rev range. 16v more economical too.

t45_ste
08-12-08, 02:50 PM
I have a very high spec 1600 16v motor for sale.

Just needs a set of bodies expected to make 200bhp :)