PDA

View Full Version : wheels and suspension

MyNovaSr
04-12-08, 08:15 PM
hi all. ive got 17's with a 80ish mm drop and they rub more than i want. i've seen that blue one with 18's on and wondering how the fook he did it without extending the arches? i could put 16's on but i want these to wok better.

Also, is it possible to have a 80mm drop without feeling every ripple in the road? What setup works best? Are coilovers hard to fit on the rear?

thx

stevie-p
04-12-08, 08:20 PM
get the right compound or get adjustables

MyNovaSr
04-12-08, 08:32 PM
if i forked out fot gaz coilovers or similar would it be a firm ride without feeling every pot hole like you ran over a brick?

would it also affect the angles thus not rubbing?

Ash
04-12-08, 08:50 PM
what offset and width are the wheels?

Also how did you get 2 cams in an 8v? :p

MyNovaSr
04-12-08, 09:09 PM
what offset and width are the wheels?

Also how did you get 2 cams in an 8v? :p

ones a spare :p

not sure on offset.

Lee
04-12-08, 09:19 PM
If you have an 80mm drop on 17's im not surprised its shaking your teeth out lol

TBH mate, if you want a comfy ride with no scrubbage, fit some decent suspension with some actual travel, and some tyres that are at least marginally thick enough to absorb some bumps.

If you want it to look rude as fook, keep the zero travel ride height and the ultra low profiles, and put up with some rubs and an ass like a barn door :)

Theres not really much compromise with that setup pal, regardless of the brand of suspension you choose. The standard setup just wont allow your wheel to move enough without hitting bodyparts.

If you REALLY want best of both worlds, extensive arch mods are needed and turreting the rear suspension, but it STILL wont be comfy lol

MK999
04-12-08, 09:28 PM
bit off topic: turrets on the rear for increased allowance for travel on the dampers? always thought it was a strength thing because of moving the spring loads onto coilovers.

Rich
04-12-08, 09:43 PM
Stronger buts its mainly for better clearance/longer travel

MyNovaSr
05-12-08, 12:34 PM
how hard is it to "turret" the rear suspension. I do like to low look as it looks rude as u say and still clears most things.