PDA

View Full Version : limited slip diff

james_19
04-12-08, 12:01 PM
anyone know a good 1.5 way lsd for a c20xe.
and the price??
or give me advice on a lsd, i heard this lsd will give me good acceleration aswell as better handling..

Stoo
04-12-08, 12:15 PM
do you know what an LSD Does???

What are you using the car for?

james_19
04-12-08, 12:19 PM
yeh corse i know, its just for everyday use.

Stoo
04-12-08, 12:22 PM
so, explain then

and justify one for everyday road use

Philsutton
04-12-08, 12:24 PM
For everyday use the quaife ATB does the job well enough. Had a few now. Thats also a variable diff as well instead of having a finite percentage like a plate diff. You can just throw one in an not worry about it, the plate diffs require a little more attention now an then.

james_19
04-12-08, 12:26 PM
In a wheelspin/no grip situation the power is sent to the wheel of least resistance. So if one wheel is on tarmac, the other on wet grass. The wheel on wet grass will spin & the other wheel, with grip will stay still & not move. Meaning you actually have no grip & next to no drive.

On the road this means that the wheel with least grip will sap power from the wheel with most grip. Thats why its easier to spin up the inside wheel when exiting corners or roundabouts.

A limited slip diff sends power to both wheels, but allows an amount of 'slip' for the wheels to take into account the different distsnces one wheel travels compared with the other.

Typically after fitting an LSD, the fr wheels will have far more grip & you find that you need more grip at the rear to counter it. You can go quicker through bends & actually use power where before you had to back off.

james_19
04-12-08, 12:27 PM
yeh cheers pal am looking at getting the quaife ATB.
how much do these cost??

Stoo
04-12-08, 12:29 PM
nicely cut and paste

unless your using it for serious fast road stuff or track, tbh you dont really need one

Your looking at around 5-600 quid plus fitting for a new one

james_19
04-12-08, 12:33 PM
cheers pal. i know cut and paste, but i very much understand it and also you wudnt be able to understand me if i explained it. ha.
yeah just looked them up not cheap.
think am not guna bother.
you got any other ideas to modify a standard c20xe for me??

hc coupe
04-12-08, 12:57 PM
Ummm go a little slower into the corner and just know when the times right to come back on?

Ok I'm playing about, but really I think if its just for road; from what I gather it is, £500 to £700 will not make a vast improvment (On track then yes , and a big yes) but for everyday driving I wouldn't bother (but I don't have £600 to spend,need a new sofa apparently lol).Just get on the power a little latter.

IMO of course and best of luck

Tom

edit: If I had £700 I'd put it else where if it was going to stay just on road.Depends how "HaRD cOrE" you want your road car to be.

Dan
04-12-08, 01:00 PM
TBH before going to a diff you should make sure you have good quality suspension on the car and set correctly and that the camber/toe etc of the front wheels is setup properly.

If you have an antiroll bar on the front then take it off and hide it away somewhere as that alone can make a large difference. Last but not least is tyres, if your one for buying nice 'cheaper' nankangs and the like then you would gain alot by spending abit more money on some decent tyres. At the end of the day the only thing keeping you on the road is that thin strip of rubber, just aswell have decent quality stuff.

Adam*D
04-12-08, 01:03 PM
I'd sooner spend the £600 on some good brakes and NOS:cool: :thumb:
You'll still be able to go quicker towards the corner, as you'll be able to brake later then on exit hit the NOS and your awaylol

Geordie-Chris
04-12-08, 02:00 PM
I'd say if you can afford a decent diff and there's nowt else you need (like good suspension, brakes etc.) then go for it!! It will make a difference to everyday driving aswell as a big improvement on a track, dragstrip, whatever!! Let's face it, XE Novas spin their wheels for fun so anything that helps is going to be a good thing!!
There's a new Quaife one for sale on MIG (steveboyslim) for £500!! Do it, I have!!!

james_19
04-12-08, 02:12 PM
cheers, to be fair its fast enough considering i used to drive a 1.7td astra van. like me mates cant even spin in 5th in the snow while i can easily in the wet. i just want something to keep the power down to the wheels. so i think maybe if i cud get one cheap enough i wud do.
its got good enough suspension on cud do with some omega v6 brakes.

hc coupe
04-12-08, 02:25 PM
what suspension and brake setup are you currently using/running?. There is a wicked deal if you become a member on here, (plug lol) for GAZ coilovers.They have got to cheaper (around the £400 mark) and more effective I would think than a LSD if you are on a poor suspension setup ?

Its only £10

james_19
04-12-08, 02:36 PM
am using v6 calibra brakes with 60mm apex springs

james_19
04-12-08, 02:37 PM
dont want any suspension mate but am thinking of becoming a member though.

Stoo
04-12-08, 03:11 PM
hahahaha 60mm apex springs

decent spenny!

james_19
04-12-08, 03:16 PM
this is not a nova you know, its a mk3 astra van

Philsutton
04-12-08, 03:50 PM
I would always spend money on a diff if it was me as they do make a nice difference. However just some springs isnt going to help a bread van go round corners either.

james_19
04-12-08, 03:52 PM
bread van haha. its got honda civic type r wheels on pal so the tyres are good pirellis. i need a front strut brace aswell just to stiffen it up a bit more.

hc coupe
04-12-08, 05:09 PM
I'd go with coilovers first if it were me.You would then be able to corner harder with more feedback and response, a "diff" would be cool but something I would be looking at after I had the suspension in tip to order.

I think you would corner faster with coilovers than a diff in short .....well with your current setup.

Stuart
04-12-08, 05:29 PM
this kind of mentalist ranting sounds like Gaskell lol

Iain
04-12-08, 06:16 PM
I would be looking at after I had the suspension in tip to order.

I don't think you heard him. APEX -60mm springs, can't get much better than that.

Lee
04-12-08, 06:48 PM
A diff would be the last thing id spunk my cash on, after seriously sorting the suspension and brakes.

It sounds to me like you haven't, so i would forget it till thats all sorted.

And if you go for coilovers, remember that the rear suspension is drastically different to the estate Astra.

white2lSR
04-12-08, 07:33 PM
like me mates cant even spin in 5th in the snow while i can easily in the wet.
5th gear you say :wtf: ? What is it, a F*cking turbo?

james_19
05-12-08, 12:55 AM
its a 2.0l 16v mate.

james_19
05-12-08, 12:56 AM
a see what you mean mate. my brakes are good but being picky maybe could be doing with uprating. my suspension is quite a hard ride but probs cud with coilovers but even then its slammed at 60mm so probably will leave it mate.

Stoo
05-12-08, 08:27 AM
I don't think you heard him. APEX -60mm springs, can't get much better than that.

LMFBO!!

+rep for sheer giggles!

Mate, until you actually know what you want from your car, have upgraded the brakes, and suspension to suit, then forget about it!

Spinning the wheels in 5th in the wet isnt going to stop with an LSD.
Mechanical parts dont stop you driving like an absolute tard! :thumb: :roll:

Philsutton
05-12-08, 08:37 AM
Spinning in 5th is probably down to the boat suspension and tyres pumped up to a million psi.

However Iainel is wrong, the best suspension for XE's is 60mm G-Max. The amount of times I heard people tell me they dont need to upgrade their suspension as they spent £15 from halfords bargin bin on some springs that they are using with 400 year shocks.

dumpycorsa
05-12-08, 10:29 AM
Steveboyslim on MIG will sort a diff out for you at a great price. I got mine from him.

Personally though I would spend my money on other performance enhancements first before worrying about an ATB diff.

I bought tyres,suspension, brakes and engine mods before I looked into gearbox mods

james_19
05-12-08, 11:26 AM
i know an lsd wont do this pal. and can you not criticise me. i understand what an lsd can and wont do.
my brakes are fine pal and up to speed.
yeh the suspension could be changed but there fine in my opinion.
am not definitely getting a lsd but just gathering advice.

Stoo
05-12-08, 11:48 AM
So pointless thread then?
pal

james_19
05-12-08, 12:01 PM
not really, my knowledge has been enhanced and also good advice i have been given. so not pointless.
i am an enthusiast who is learning about these cars.
i am a diesel engine man not a petrol. so its all good to me

dumpycorsa
05-12-08, 03:17 PM
i know an lsd wont do this pal. and can you not criticise me. i understand what an lsd can and wont do.
my brakes are fine pal and up to speed.
yeh the suspension could be changed but there fine in my opinion.
am not definitely getting a lsd but just gathering advice.

Is that reply to me mate?

Stuart
05-12-08, 03:34 PM
Is that reply to me mate?

no it wasnt.