PDA

View Full Version : Wet drivers foot well.

rossyboyblue
04-12-08, 01:24 AM
In my Nova the drivers foot well carpet is soaking. only noticed the other day when i moved the car mat. i know that i am leaking a little water from my coolant system so i figure it is leaking out of the heater matrix but there is no visible water coming from the matrix and there are no wet bits of carpet on the sides of the footwell. like the carpet that goes up the side and over the centre tunnel and behind the foot pedals is all dry. it is just on the flat of the footwell. is is heater matrix or something else??? if it is the matrix are they easy to change? never done 1 yet. please help!!! also i am guessing this is y all the inside of the windows are wet in the morning!

Steve
04-12-08, 01:26 AM
A cheap fix would be the rubber door seal, but more commonly it will be the battery tray/firewall, look under the dash and you'll probably find a hole, if that isnt it then the easiest way to find it is strip out the carpets and pour water from the outside and see where its coming from :thumb:

Steve
04-12-08, 01:28 AM
Also if it is the heater matrix then its not too hard to change, the mk1s are ok but I think you might need the dash out if you've got a mk2.

rossyboyblue
04-12-08, 01:49 AM
its not the battery tray i don't think coz i have just welded it all up for the MOT but i will check. if there was water running down the bulk head wouldn't that carpet be wet? it isn't that it why i can't understand it. im thinking of drying it out not driving it for a day or two and if it gets wet again then it must be the matrix? proiding it dosn't rain. right?

burgo
04-12-08, 04:00 AM
the water would run down the bulkhead from the battery tray and into the underlay so the carpet would feel dry

xe Dan
04-12-08, 08:05 AM
my old nova used to get wet carpets it turned out to be a crack in floor a every time i went out when wet i would get wet carpets

marc novataken
04-12-08, 08:38 AM
on mine it was the sunroof. only small leak but all the water pooled together in footwell

bmw156
04-12-08, 09:11 AM
see my sun roof leaks and it drips on my seat, so i dont think it coudl be sunroof. as its to far back??

better start the hunt for the rust lol

craig green
04-12-08, 10:39 AM
Sunroof drains maybe?

I'd put my money on it being the battery tray tbh.
As the carpet isnt fabric, but a nylon moulding it wont actually soak up water like you expect it to, so as Burgo says water could easily run down the bulkhead & only soak the carpet due to the carpet pretty much being submerged.

I can get a matrix in & out of a mk2 without removing the dash, bit tight but doable.

AlexW
04-12-08, 11:01 AM
take the carpet out.

burgo
04-12-08, 02:01 PM
stripped out ftw

craig green
04-12-08, 02:04 PM
Travelling in a stripped out Nova is akin to washing in a tin bath.

It's the 21st century FFS.

Sloth
04-12-08, 02:08 PM
what, cold as feck, noisey, but more fun than playing with jordan's soapy jubblies?

rossyboyblue
04-12-08, 04:56 PM
Found it guys. where i had welded the battery tray up there was a lil weld i had missed. with all the british rain i reckon it has just built up. but all fixed now. nothing a lil more welding didn't fix. i just pured a load of water in the battery tray and there was water running in the foot well. cheers for all the imput ppl.