PDA

View Full Version : 1.2i With High-Lift Cam

vaughanmc
03-12-08, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about fitting one to my 1.2i Nova

Mod the engine a wee bit but I need to keep it the 1.2i for insurance reasons next year

Someone said I'd need an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator...?

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a cam and AFPR please ?

Cheers, Vaughan :thumb:

greg1.4
03-12-08, 05:53 PM
really wouldnt bother mate..

save up to pay extra insurance for an sr.. or just put an sr engine in.

i would certainly not tune the 1.2i..

if you are, put a different head on, weber carb/twin carbs, cam, exhaust.

vaughanmc
03-12-08, 05:54 PM
Want to keep the 1.2i though, can't be a*sed to change the engine just now either

Would rather learn to drive, carry speed etc with the wee engine before moving onto something bigger

AW06 suggested a Nova GSi cam ? Would that work...?

Sloth
03-12-08, 06:08 PM
the 1.2 doesnt like afpr's. i tried it and failed. look at the 1.2 tuning guide, thats the best place to start

vaughanmc
03-12-08, 06:09 PM
Will do, cheers :)

krobinson
03-12-08, 06:17 PM
The SPI engine wont like a cam fitted as its got an ECU and will need extra fueling etc to cope.

Either change it to a carb 1.2 and run an SR cam etc, or wait.

Adam
03-12-08, 06:22 PM
1.4sr/gsi/gte cams are fine.
Youd be suprised how well the spi setup can cope with changes!

Id have spi over some single choke manual choke carb anyday! lol

burgo
03-12-08, 06:27 PM
vaughan im afraid i have to agree that it is pointless spending money on that engine. spend your money elsewhere on improving the car then when you can be assed to upgrade that rest will be able to take it

John
03-12-08, 06:33 PM
I'm with ad, nowt wrong with releasing a few more horses on the 1.2 spi, until you can afford to upgrade/insure!

Hobbit
03-12-08, 06:53 PM
He asked how too! not if you think its a good idea, geez!

AlexW
03-12-08, 06:54 PM
Im adding things like a SR cam to my 1.2, Parly because its much easyer than having to change everything! Plus it means that it is much better as a daily
=

John
03-12-08, 07:13 PM
He asked how too! not if you think its a good idea, geez!

Nothing wrong with offering some friendly advice either! Most people wouldn't bother, but personally i would. Go with the gsi/gte cam, and a four branch. I'm guessing you have a good flowing exhaust system on there already vaughan?

And it's how to, not how too.

vaughanmc
03-12-08, 07:18 PM
Standard exhaust system just now John with the Magnex S/S backbox - Getting an exhaust system made up wouldn't be a problem and would happily put money into getting one made

The advice/help is all very well appreciated as well :) Trust me, it helps a lot

I'll wait for a bigger engine as well but not want to jump in with both feet - Would rather learn how to handle the wee engine with some small mods then go to something bigger

But an XE is for defo off the cards lol

Hobbit
03-12-08, 07:19 PM
And it's how to, not how too.

Cheers, that will help if a decide to change career and become an english teacher :roll:

John
03-12-08, 07:20 PM
Cheers, that will help if a decide to change career and become an english teacher :roll:

Glad i could be of some assistance.

AlexW
03-12-08, 07:22 PM
Fit a GSI exhaust if your strapped for cash :thumb:

twistysnovagte
03-12-08, 07:23 PM
vaughan im afraid i have to agree that it is pointless spending money on that engine. spend your money elsewhere on improving the car then when you can be assed to upgrade that rest will be able to take it2nd that too.:thumb:

John
03-12-08, 07:26 PM
Don't offer any opinions! lol